Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 74, Georgia St 63 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Jones and Baker 6-13 from threes, rest of team 1-15.

Sounds like one of my intramural teams.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Jones and Baker 6-13 from threes, rest of team 1-15.

Sounds like one of my intramural teams.
    Scoring from Tre and Vernon and solid rebounding. Defense was fair. Enough to win, but lots of room for self examination and improvement.

Hey, let's make like financial reporters overreacting to random market movements!

Sloppy, listless and uninspired play by the Blue Devils. Take the win and get better. K has lots of raw material for practices.

Need to work on attacking the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Hey, let's make like financial reporters overreacting to random market movements!
    You mean like some people did before the game, thinking the spread was too low?

Jeebus Murphy deliver me from Corey Alexander gibbering on and on and on. Mt Rushmore, what? Yap yap yap.

I muted it and pondered sending him one of those bathroom plug extension units that were advertised incessantly all night. Maybe his electric shaver would fall into the trash can and he'd knock himself out cold while trying to retrieve it.

Good lord, shut up!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Idk what some of you are down about. Bad matchup against an experienced team. Vernon put up a double double. Many freshmen making freshmen mistakes. I thought it was a good, gritty win.

Baker earned some confidence, Stanley found another way to contribute (9 boards), Jones took his offense to another level.

My biggest gripe is the poor free throw %. Getting flashbacks to last year.

Good win.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Jeebus Murphy deliver me from Corey Alexander gibbering on and on and on. Mt Rushmore, what? Yap yap yap.

I muted it and pondered sending him one of those bathroom plug extension units that were advertised incessantly all night. Maybe his electric shaver would fall into the trash can and he'd knock himself out cold while trying to retrieve it.

Good lord, shut up!
    Like many color commentators, he doesn't realize that the broadcast would be far better if he cut back by a third to a half. It's the Jimmy Dykes syndrome.

This was an important game because it showed us All American, ACC POY caliber Tre Jones.

When we played a poor first half, he scored to help us keep a small lead and then keep pace, including 3 treys. In the decisive second half run when we took control of the game, he scored 10 of the next 11 points to break the 40-40 tie and was a one man fast breaking wrecking crew. Down the final 8 minutes, under K’s direction, he took the air out of the ball and used most of the shot clock on each possession. It was a masterly performance, perhaps the best of his Duke career, despite very tough D and pressure being applied to him.

We had way too many turnovers in the first half and, in K parlance, it felt like we let our offensive struggles impact our defense. Once we tightened up the D and turnovers during the aforementioned second half run, we cruised.

More positives...Vernon double double, Jack White rebounds, Cassius rebounds, Joey Baker 3s and big minutes.

More less than positives...Javin fouls and inability to finish around the rim, AOC poor play despite the start, Vernon missing dunks, K needing to continually scream for the team to “grab the ball”, fairly invisible game by Wendell and Hurt wasn’t much better, but he at least needs to be guarded around the 3 point line which creates space.

Georgia State played hard and well.

Still no real rotation, minutes are up for grabs every night.

Joey Baker in at crunch time. 9.5 man rotation.

Looking like our depth will be a crucial advantage this season.

Kinda brutal, not Kentucky vs Evansville brutal, but still. Super glad that Tre felt like setting career highs tonight, but also kinda sad that this team needed 40 minutes from Tre in a game like this. It's great that Carey figured out how to use his size and skill to be effective against their interior b/c we needed that too. Everything else was dog poo, except Jack's rebounding. Well, i guess J-Bake had a pretty solid game. Hopefully he continues to figure out how to earn more PT, b/c this team needs a shooter.
    To whoever discovered that it was on YouTube, thanks, that was my first chance to watch the team this year. Bummer it had to be such a blah performance. I was unpleasantly surprised to see that GA State was consistently the team with more energy and a more active defense. Duke won simply b/c our players have a higher overall level of talent, not b/c of effort.
    I guess it's good that the team got the win even on a night where they could have easily taken a loss. Hopefully this will wake the Fr. up to the realities of D1 ball.

Carey can shoot and make 3's

I liked this game. G State played us tough and exposed a good many things we need to work on. Tre and Vernon showed they could step up and carry the team for stretches.

There will be much dissection and discussion of game film/tape/video over the next several days.

And we won comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Mak P View Post
    Carey can shoot and make 3's
    Not tonite.

Great early season game for our young team's development before conference play starts. We don't need to blow-out a cupcake and let #1 ranking go to our heads. We need to grow in November after a hard fought win. This game provided that.

I loved strong overall games from Baker and Tre. Moore, Stanley, Carey, and Hurt will just grow and get better. Freshman learning game for them. I like this team. They have to fight for whatever they get with defense. It feels like a K Duke team. They will learn and grow from this one.

Other than offensive rebounding, our offensive numbers were dreadful. Fortunately our worst defensive performance of the season was still pretty good.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 74.0 (slowest game of the season, but still a nice pace)
    oRtg: 1.00 (pretty bad against a team like Georgia State)
    eFG%: 39.0% (horrible)
    3pt%: 25.0% (bad)
    2pt%: 40.0% (really bad)
    %threes: 38.4% (way too high for this team)
    FT rate: 39.7% (best game so far this season as far as getting to the line)
    OR%: 55.6% (yowsa, especially considering how bad we were at offensive rebounding in our first three games)
    TO%: 23.0% (really bad)
    a/to: 0.76:1 (not good)
    %assisted: 52.0% (acceptable)
    fast break pts: 18 (24.3% of points; pretty good)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.85 (believe it or not, this is our worst dRtg of the season; and yet, still very good)
    eFG%: 45.8% (not terrible but not great)
    3pt%: 41.7% (bad)
    2pt%: 41.7% (good)
    %threes: 20.0% (the way they shot it from outside, good thing we kept them off the three-point line)
    FT rate: 18.3% (our first decent performance of the season in this stat)
    DR%: 77.8% (really good for the third straight game)
    TO%: 23.0% (our worst TO% of the season, but still pretty good)
    a/to: 0.71:1 (crazily enough, this is the highest any of our opponents this season have done in this stat; pretty cool)
    %assisted: 48.0% (okay)
    stl%: 13.5% (lowest of the season, but still pretty good)
    blk%: 10.0% (12.5% of 2pt shots) (good)
    fast break pts: 11 (17.5% of points; best of the season so far, but ideally we'd like to do better)

Going into this game, by far our worst categories were offensive rebounding and defensive free throw rate. And we really showed up in both those categories, our best performance in both by a large margin. Unfortunately, that improvement seem to come at the expense of almost everything else. I guess it's hard to argue when your worst defense of the season is 0.85 ppp (unadjusted), but if our offense is this bad against an even halfway decent team, we're almost certainly toast. I shudder to think how bad the O would have been tonight if we'd had our usual subpar offensive rebounding.

pitchforks to ACCN for pre-emptying the first half in order to show volleyball. Sure they moved Duke to ESPNNews, but that doesn’t help when you can’t get home until halftime and have ACCN recording. What a bush-league move.