Hope everyone out West is safe...

Absolutely apocalyptic scene out west as the entire West Coast is on fire, people dying, entire towns burning, thousands on thousands of firefighters fighting this thing on the front lines. The air quality of the ENTIRE West Coast is literally nearly off the charts bad, and so dangerous that people are urged to stay inside and use air filters. Spoke To several friends and family members out there, including my Duke roomie, and it’s really, really, really bad.

Hope our west coasters are safe, and praying that it somehow comes to an end, although no idea how that will happen

And if you are the donating type, consider donating to organizations in need, like the Red Cross, please.

A disaster of epic proportions, happening right now.

I have a number of friends in the Seattle area, and several of them - otherwise completely healthy - were forced inside with congestion, coughing, headaches. Apparently in the Seattle area, the air quality was very dependent on exactly where you were. The waterfronts and other places with a steady breeze were fine. Places with a lot of trees, not so much. I understand that even though the Seahawks cancelled, the A's and Mariners played a double-header. Several players were not happy with that decision.

09142020_mariners_pre-game_smoke.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I have a number of friends in the Seattle area, and several of them - otherwise completely healthy - were forced inside with congestion, coughing, headaches. Apparently in the Seattle area, the air quality was very dependent on exactly where you were. The waterfronts and other places with a steady breeze were fine. Places with a lot of trees, not so much. I understand that even though the Seahawks cancelled, the A's and Mariners played a double-header. Several players were not happy with that decision.

09142020_mariners_pre-game_smoke.jpg
    Seahawks definitely did not cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Seahawks definitely did not cancel.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. The Seahawks' practice on Saturday was cancelled. It's not a straightforward comparison, so I should have been more clear. I suspect the rea$on$ were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. The Seahawks' practice on Saturday was cancelled. It's not a straightforward comparison, so I should have been more clear. I suspect the rea$on$ were the same.
    Oh, gotcha. I apologize for nitpicking. The bigger issue is amazingly not football.

I've lived in Seattle during fires before, and yes, "where you are" relative to moving water, elevation, topography, makes a huge difference.

I never experienced anything like this, obviously, but those principles still apply. At least until it's all untenable regardless of where you are.

In my area, the fire danger has passed. We had evacuations in our area the last week of August due to fires started by a freak thunderstorm on August 16th.
    Fortunately, we live on the other side of the highway from the fire and didn't have to leave. However, we have multiple friends who we are helping now deal with total or partial loss of their homes.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Am up in north Idaho, like 5 miles from Canada, and while there's no fire danger here(though things are dry as can be and it wouldn't take much to start one) we've got smoke pouring in from the fires in Washington and Oregon, so much so that we've really been staying inside since Friday, taking me back to the bad yellow dust days of Seoul in the spring. And here we though we'd get out of Florida and the COVID mess there... pick your apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Am up in north Idaho, like 5 miles from Canada, and while there's no fire danger here(though things are dry as can be and it wouldn't take much to start one) we've got smoke pouring in from the fires in Washington and Oregon, so much so that we've really been staying inside since Friday, taking me back to the bad yellow dust days of Seoul in the spring. And here we though we'd get out of Florida and the COVID mess there... pick your apocalypse.
    I have it on good authority that the Northern Pike in Lake Coeur d’Alene can take your fingers off.

SonPK illustrating same on our trip there several years ago:

B85054A8-D4D0-4803-8AEB-346F34F2E1F5.jpg