Page 130 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 30801201281291301311321401802306301130 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 67675
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Hi, I'm back, my parents have been feted. It was a very nice event. Former dean Bill Griffiths was there along with several retired math professors, Joe Kitchen, Lang Moore, Dick Hodel, and a couple of current profs, Dalene Stengl, just in case anybody took courses with them through the years. My dad is a former prof as well, Don Burdick of statistics fame. Anybody suffer through Math 117 with him? If you suffered, it wasn't because of the professor, even if he weren't my dad, I'd have to put him in 'one of the nicest guys ever' category.
    I believe had Prof. Stengl, tho for the life of me, I can't remember for what class. Maybe stats for PPS majors?

Sounds like a great turnout, congrats again to the BD parents!

What'd your boys think of the campus? Will they be applying there?

Never took Stats as an undergrad but was able to bust the curve 1st mod in B-school...

Okay, a little guilty admission here -- I love Disney music. Have ever since I got my first copy of Mary Poppins on vinyl. So, why am I up at nearly 1AM, confessing this to you, the LTE audience?

Because I stumbled across this: http://www.coveringthemouse.com

A site dedicated to artist remakes of Disney music. And I've been browsing/listening to it for the past hour. Help me!

It didn't hurt that the second-most-recent post is a Bonnie Raitt cover of Dumbo's "Baby Mine," one of my all-time favorites.

The Squirrel Nut Zipper's take on "Under the Sea" from Little Mermaid isn't bad either.

If you click in, they have the songs streaming from the site.

What was that group rate for psychiatric treatment, again?

Do you still have the vinyl? Is it in good shape?

I still have most of my vinyl from the mid-70's. Not sure if its worth much and I can't listen to it because I have nothing to listen to it with. My parents copied all their vinyl to reel to reel tapes and then cassette. They still use the cassettes.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Okay, a little guilty admission here -- I love Disney music. Have ever since I got my first copy of Mary Poppins on vinyl. So, why am I up at nearly 1AM, confessing this to you, the LTE audience?

Because I stumbled across this: http://www.coveringthemouse.com

A site dedicated to artist remakes of Disney music. And I've been browsing/listening to it for the past hour. Help me!

It didn't hurt that the second-most-recent post is a Bonnie Raitt cover of Dumbo's "Baby Mine," one of my all-time favorites.

The Squirrel Nut Zipper's take on "Under the Sea" from Little Mermaid isn't bad either.

If you click in, they have the songs streaming from the site.

What was that group rate for psychiatric treatment, again?
    There's lots of good Disney music. In fact, I was once in a musical variety show consisting entirely of songs from Disney movies.

I used to love Disney movies (and songs) but I cannot for the life of me understand why my mother let me watch "Dumbo." Or, for that matter, why Disney made it. It's scary!! Dumbo gets taken away from his mommy, there's that whole trippy Dumbo gets drunk scene, everybody is mean to him... it is just not a children's movie.

Favorite line from "Under the Sea": "Each little clam here know how to jam here, under the sea!"

Tip of the Day

Speaking of Disney . . .

Giraffe meat is now kosher.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Speaking of Disney . . .

Giraffe meat is now kosher.
    That is just wrong! There are certain meats that it doesn't seem right to eat and giraffe would join horse and dog in my book as animals that shouldn't be eaten. I know that horse and dog are served in some places, I just don't think I could knowingly eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    That is just wrong! There are certain meats that it doesn't seem right to eat and giraffe would join horse and dog in my book as animals that shouldn't be eaten. I know that horse and dog are served in some places, I just don't think I could knowingly eat them.
    While I don't want to eat dog or horse unless starving with no other options, I would try Giraffe meat. I've tried gator, rabbit, deer, eel: all tasty. I'm curious about snake and turtle. Not so curious about frog legs.

I might eat my neighbors cat.

Thank God I don't live next door to you.

While I don't want to eat dog or horse unless starving with no other options, I would try Giraffe meat. I've tried gator, rabbit, deer, eel: all tasty. I'm curious about snake and turtle. Not so curious about frog legs.

What, no emu or ostrich? My cousin used to raise emus in Nebraska, those suckers were big and mean!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    What, no emu or ostrich? My cousin used to raise emus in Nebraska, those suckers were big and mean!
    I've eaten Ostrich, but I don't recall eating Emu. I imagine the taste of Emu is similar to that of Ostrich.

I am just kidding about my neighbor's cat. I would not eat it intentionally (leaving open the possibility that unbeknown to me the cat ends up in Chinese food). But the cat annoys me: always sneaking around my property, trying to kill birds.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Congrats! Woo hoo! Yippee!

What is the play about? Is this the one you want to title "you can't reheat fries in a microwave?"
    I haven't gotten beyond the smallest kernel of an idea with that one. I'm not prolific. I've been working on a play set in a Starbucks for what seems like forever because I know how it starts and I know how it ends, but that 'and then a miracle occurs' middle part just hasn't happened yet. That said, I wrote the Duke-UNC eHarmony date one in one sitting. Had a couple of people read it, revised it once, and sent it out. Of course, that one didn't get selected by the festival, so maybe that's telling me something. DBR readers would have LOVED it though.

The play that did get accepted this time around is called Cloud 7. Have I mentioned it before? Tagline: It's not Cloud 9, but it's close.

Hey, Durham area DBR posters, I'll be attending the 10X10 in the Triangle festival on July 12th this year. Yeah, they didn't take my play, losers, but I still know more than one of the playwrights on the bill and I'm supporting their work. Just in case anyone wants to meet me there. (And Tilly, she's coming too.) The theater is in Carrboro. Here's the website, http://www.artscenterlive.org

Ooooo, Jeff Mullins, I suddenly have the urge to buy a car.

Are you sure you are not Earl Jam?

Talking It all tastes like fried chicken.

I have actually tried opossum, raccoon, squirrel, snake, turtle, and frog legs. I wasn't particularly impressed with the first two - stringy and greasy, as I recall. Squirrel can be okay, depending on how it's fixed. Snake, blech. Someone once brought fried snapping turtle to our community potluck supper under the guise of fried chicken. Most people there thought it was the best fried chicken they had ever tasted - until they found out they had eaten turtle. Frog legs are actually quite good - and they really do taste a whole lot like fried chicken.

Exclamation Yes, but have you tried camel digestive fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I have actually tried opossum, raccoon, squirrel, snake, turtle, and frog legs. I wasn't particularly impressed with the first two - stringy and greasy, as I recall. Squirrel can be okay, depending on how it's fixed. Snake, blech. Someone once brought fried snapping turtle to our community potluck supper under the guise of fried chicken. Most people there thought it was the best fried chicken they had ever tasted - until they found out they had eaten turtle. Frog legs are actually quite good - and they really do taste a whole lot like fried chicken.
    This whole discussion reminds me that Bear Grylls is on Discovery Channel sometime soon. I wonder what he'll eat tonight?

He always eats stuff raw...yech. But then I'm not the one jumping out of planes onto remote Pacific islands.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Weren't the shapes of the fried turtle parts just a little bit different then fried chicken parts?

Parts is parts...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Parts is parts...
    Isn't that a hot dog?