• Bumblebee (Dec 21)

10 23.26%
  • Glass (Jan 18)

8 18.60%
  • Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

35 81.40%
  • How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb 22)

5 11.63%
  • Field (all other films not named above)

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm not sure how many of you bothered to listen to the pod, it is 15 minutes so it should be relatively easy
    I was glad to hear you two disagree a bit more this time out. This is the reality TV era, when do we get fisticuffs and a duel at dawn?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    if you did not see or remember Split and Unbreakable?
    No. You will be lost about various characters, especially the supporting ones. Among the major plot points in the story is the relationship between Bruce Willis and his son, Sam Jackson and his mom, and James McAvoy and his... uhhh... victim (sorta). These relationships largely were built in the previous movies and it is just assumed that we know about them in this movie. I think you would certainly be lost if you tried to watch Glass without some foundation in the previous films.

It is possible you could get away with merely reading a synopsis of Unbreakable/Split to get this film, though I would recommend watching both movies as they are excellent/very good.

-Jason "this is a question that could have been answered by listening to the pod as we discussed it fairly early on " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I was glad to hear you two disagree a bit more this time out. This is the reality TV era, when do we get fisticuffs and a duel at dawn?
    Yeah, when I envisioned this (the title was my idea), I thought we would disagree more. But, for the most part, we have been pretty lock-step regarding the films we have talked about. Oh well.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

-Jason "this is a question that could have been answered by listening to the pod as we discussed it fairly early on " Evans
    Anyone else resistant to watching or listening to reports on-line?

No offense Jason, but I would much rather read information than be forced to endure whatever somebody wants to say before getting to the information I am interested in.

When reading, I can skip through the extraneous and read what I want. Perhaps it is years of experience as a lawyer reading judicial opinions and briefs.

I particularly hate "entertainment" TV reports or sports reports. But if I hit a link for information I am seeking or interested in, and find it to be a video, I usually close the link.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

No offense Jason, but I would much rather read information than be forced to endure whatever somebody wants to say before getting to the information I am interested in.

When reading, I can skip through the extraneous and read what I want. Perhaps it is years of experience as a lawyer reading judicial opinions and briefs.

I particularly hate "entertainment" TV reports or sports reports. But if I hit a link for information I am seeking or interested in, and find it to be a video, I usually close the link.
    Yep! I am loathe to even have my speakers on for any reason. When I go to a news site and the report is a video, I close the tab and do my best to find a written version of it. In fact, I hate the videos forced upon us on most news sites now in their sidebars. I either close them or pause them. Just because we are in a digital age, doesn't mean I'd rather not read it. I save my multimedia experiences for my stereo and my TV.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

I too don't like them. I do sometimes listen.

In this case I was afraid of a spoiler so definitely avoided the podcast.

SoCal

Roma

My wife and I watched Roma last night on Netflix.

I am not a professional movie critic but I have a hard time understanding what all the awards and Oscar's hype is about. Yes I found it interesting and well done. Gave me something to think about. I could probably say that about other movies. It is not one that I would recommend as "entertaining." I don't feel my time was wasted watching it, just don't see it the best picture.

I found Green Book to be interesting, well done, gave me something to think about, and was entertaining. Recommended it to someone who saw it and thanked me for the recommendation.

What do others thin?

Thanks

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    My wife and I watched Roma last night on Netflix.

I am not a professional movie critic but I have a hard time understanding what all the awards and Oscar's hype is about. Yes I found it interesting and well done. Gave me something to think about. I could probably say that about other movies. It is not one that I would recommend as "entertaining." I don't feel my time was wasted watching it, just don't see it the best picture.

I found Green Book to be interesting, well done, gave me something to think about, and was entertaining. Recommended it to someone who saw it and thanked me for the recommendation.

What do others thin?

Thanks

SoCal
    I thought Roma was beautifully shot and told a compelling story in a unique way. I found it a touch overrated, but can understand why it will be nominated.

I also found Green Book to be a better movie, but there seem to be some issues coming to light surrounding the story and production.

I just wanted to tip my cap to Reddevil. Bohemian Rap is has now topped $200 mil and will be in the top 5. It is ahead of Ralph and will stay ahead (unless something funky happens). Reddevil is the only person who picked Rhap (well, fisheyes also picked Rhap, but picked no other films so he is not a contender at all) so props to him!

Of course, he failed to pick Grinch so the best he can do is 4-for-5.

If I had to bet right now, I would go with BoRhap, Grinch, Ralph, Aqua, and Lego as the top 5. I think a lot lot lot of us would be 4-for-5 if that happens.

-Jason "I am hearing some good stuff about HTTYD 3 and it could certainly sneak up and overtake Ralph, which would throw the whole thing into a tizzy" Evans

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    What about Alita? It looks interesting and I have seen it promoted for what seems like a year. It looks like it could have wide appeal. Any chance it could be a surprise hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    What about Alita? It looks interesting and I have seen it promoted for what seems like a year. It looks like it could have wide appeal. Any chance it could be a surprise hit?
    It might do better than Mortal Engines...I'd be shocked if it broke $90m domestic. Worldwide, watch it gross $500m.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    It might do better than Mortal Engines...I'd be shocked if it broke $90m domestic. Worldwide, watch it gross $500m.
    Yup, in fact I think those estimates are kinda high. It just isn't tracking like a film that is going to break out. The trailers are not generating a lot of buzz. It will do better overseas, the manga is well-known in some Asian countries, but I think it is more likely to be in the $50-$60 mil range domestic and maybe $300 mil total worldwide boxoffice. It is going to lose a lot lot lot of money as it cost more than $150 mil to produce.

You could tell this one was in trouble when they moved the release date... twice. It was originally going to be a mid-summer June 2018 release, then it got moved to Christmas, then it got moved to February. May/June is where your big big moneymakers are positioned. Christmas is the next most desirable slot. February is sorta a wasteland, not as bad as September, but in the bottom third of all months in terms of boxoffice potential. Sure, there are exceptions (Black Panther last year, Lego and Dragon this year) but most of the rest of the stuff released in February are films that would be thrilled with a $50 mil boxoffice take.

-Jason "maybe Alita will surprise, but even a big big surprise (like three times what I expect it to earn) would put it well short of being a contender in our contest" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Early tracking just came on line for Glass, and there are projections it will hit $75 mil over the 4-day MLK weekend.
    There won't be anything significant at the boxoffice this weekend but the 18th brings Glass. I'm seeing a screening on the 15th and will report back. MNight can be hit and miss... the hits are great and the misses are godawful... if this is a hit, it could be a player as the mixing of several genres (horror, superhero, thriller, mystery) could lead to big boxoffice. The tracking figures are strong with talk this film could have a $60+ mil opening.
    Glass coming this weekend... most folks are looking for about a $60 mil opening.
    So MLK weekend is over, and I was curious to see what the results would be for Glass, especially with each mention that you gave it those estimates dropped.
    I'm guessing the powers that be ain't too thrilled that it barely topped 40M. (Enough for the week's first place bragging rights, but far below that first 75M number.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So MLK weekend is over, and I was curious to see what the results would be for Glass, especially with each mention that you gave it those estimates dropped.
    I'm guessing the powers that be ain't too thrilled that it barely topped 40M. (Enough for the week's first place bragging rights, but far below that first 75M number.)
    Once the reviews started coming in and word got out that the film was sorta a mess,the tracking numbers started to drop. It will not be a contender in our contest, not even close. I would expect it to make around $100 million.

That said, "the powers that be" are probably perfectly fine with this. The film had only a $20 mil budget (and you can tell when you watch it, the movie is very confined and has few action set pieces) and is certain to make a tidy profit. The entire film was financed by M Night Shyamalan. He also put up the money to make The Visit ($5 mil budget) and Split ($9 mil budget), taking the profits from each and pouring them into the next. To be clear, Night has studio partners who are taking a cut for helping with distribution and who are doing much of the marketing for him, but he's going to make a lot of money from this film.

It is entirely possible that Night is out of the big budget movie business. The Last Airbender cost $150 mil to make and After Earth cost $130 million. No one wants to see him tackling films like that again. That said, I think Glass could have been a lot better if it had been in the $40-$60 mil kind of range, which might have allowed for a little more action in the middle and perhaps taken some pressure off Night to pack everything into an ending that really isn't earned by the rest of the story.

-Jason "bottom line, Night is gonna do quite well off Glass... and will have plenty of money to make more films" Evans

Any chance this gets included in the Top 5 Films of Spring/Summer 2019 contest?

https://gomerblog.com/2016/06/lion-king/

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Lego Movie 2 comes out this weekend and here is my podcast review of it. The pod includes several clips from songs in the movie (the songs are amazing) and also some comments from my co-host's 8-year-old daughter about what she thought about the film, which may help you decide whether to see it with children. Spoiler alert, she reveals the movie ending which is the least surprising ending ever and really does not spoil anything at all.

Anyway, enjoy...

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...t-lego-movie-2

-Jason "and for those of you wondering, Josh and I still aren't really fighting very much... sigh... we just feel the same way about these films too much" Evans

-Jason "bottom line, Night is gonna do quite well off Glass... and will have plenty of money to make more films" Evans
    Glass three-peats as king of the box office. Still to crack $100 million domestic.

Is it over?

Is it over?
    What? Who got injured? I didn't see a vigil.

Is it over?
    Lego Movie 2 opens this weekend and then we have HTTYD3 as a legit contender. It is far from over.

Right now the standings are: Aquaman ($324m), Grinch ($270m), Bohemian ($208m), Ralph 2 ($197m), and Spiderverse ($176m).

-Jason "I think the odds are good that one or both of the upcoming animated films will at least get really, really close to Spidey and Ralph" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 02-07-2019 at 08:41 AM.