Page 35 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745851355351035 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    No one wants to talk about yogurt, for yogurt is dumb.
    Patrick Davidson once made yogurt from a paper clip, water and some ear wax... I don't know how or why, but it made MacGyver cry.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    No one wants to talk about yogurt, for yogurt is dumb.
    Maybe so. But yogurt does good things for the digestion.

I read about this group of nomadic herdspeople, in central Africa I think, that eat nothing but beef and drink cow milk. Their blood profile is better than all the rest of ours, and they don't have any weight problems. Seems like fat in our diets is not the enemy.

Still, I'm puzzled by the concept of nomadic herdspeople. Do they just follow the cattle around, or are they actually driving the herd to specific destinations?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Patrick Davidson once made yogurt from a paper clip, water and some ear wax... I don't know how or why, but it made MacGyver cry.

Does Macgyver eat yogurt? Maybe he got some yogurt in his eye. Macgyver could make a helicopter out of a sock.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Does Macgyver eat yogurt? Maybe he got some yogurt in his eye. Macgyver could make a helicopter out of a sock.
    And Chuck Norris could bring it down with a look.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    And Chuck Norris could bring it down with a look.
    If Chuck Norris and Van Damme met in a back alley, who would emerge victorious? My money is on Chuck, Van Damme is a little too pretty.

If Chuck Norris and Van Damme met in a back alley, who would emerge victorious? My money is on Chuck, Van Damme is a little too pretty.
    Chuck would win fists down. When God made Chuck, he was going to break the mold, but Chuck looked up at him and said, "That's alright G, I got it."

-EarlJam

And word on the street is that Chuck Norris is a good guy, and Van Damme is, well, not.

Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Unfortunately, he has never cried.

Red face Anthro 101

Maybe so. But yogurt does good things for the digestion.

I read about this group of nomadic herdspeople, in central Africa I think, that eat nothing but beef and drink cow milk. Their blood profile is better than all the rest of ours, and they don't have any weight problems. Seems like fat in our diets is not the enemy.

Still, I'm puzzled by the concept of nomadic herdspeople. Do they just follow the cattle around, or are they actually driving the herd to specific destinations?
    Guess I'm getting geared up for the semester!

The Maasai in East Africa herd cattle, and traditionally their diet was meat, milk, and blood. Their diet has changed over the years to include a number of other items.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Unfortunately, he has never cried.
    To heck with Chuck Norris. One bad*ss look from Nate James would do the trick. Scare the cancer right out of that person.

Yeah, I'm actually not so big on the whole "Chuck Norris is such a badI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. that..." bit. I just think that one is one of the better lines.
    But anyway, everybody knows that Burt Reynolds owns 'em all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Guess I'm getting geared up for the semester!

The Maasai in East Africa herd cattle, and traditionally their diet was meat, milk, and blood. Their diet has changed over the years to include a number of other items.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Is there no limit to your knowledge? Are the Maasai nomadic?

Yeah, I'm actually not so big on the whole "Chuck Norris is such a badI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. that..." bit. I just think that one is one of the better lines.
    Just was reading that Nate James is back and got carried away.

Is there no limit to your knowledge? Are the Maasai nomadic?
    [Emory tag team] No. They live in small collectives of packed earth homes surrounded by thicket walls. They travel considerable distances to periodic market gatherings with neighboring clans before retreating to their homes at nightfall for defense against the lions and other predators that roam their native lands. [/Emory tag team]

Smile Tag ...

[Emory tag team] No. They live in small collectives of packed earth homes surrounded by thicket walls. They travel considerable distances to periodic market gatherings with neighboring clans before retreating to their homes at nightfall for defense against the lions and other predators that roam their native lands. [/Emory tag team]
    The Maasai are a classic example. Now that I think of it, the Fulani are probably the ones you originally mentioned. They ORIGINALLY were nomadic, but truly are not these days. Both the Maasai and Fulani are classic examples of people who have elevated rates of lactose tolerance (ability for adults to digest milk) in areas where lactose intolerance is otherwise the norm (NOTE: most of the world is lactose intolerant). Both groups had similar traditional diets (meat, milk). FWIW, lactose intolerance is affected by a specific gene, so this is usually a great case to discuss how humans are affected by changes in gene frequency or structure over time (i.e., evolution). The examples are pretty much basic stuff in intro to biological anthropology classes.

Of course, if you take in yogurt, you let the bacteria break down the sugar lactase!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 01-15-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: clarity

Wink I'll take POT - purry for $200 Alex

Yeah, but Sean Connery kills him in Celebrity Jeopardy.

MAN, I can't stand this writer's strike!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

The Maasai are a classic example. Now that I think of it, the Fulani are probably the ones you originally mentioned. They ORIGINALLY were nomadic, but truly are not these days. Both the Maasai and Fulani are classic examples of people who have elevated rates of lactose tolerance (ability for adults to digest milk) in areas where lactose intolerance is otherwise the norm (NOTE: most of the world is lactose intolerant). Both groups had similar traditional diets (meat, milk). FWIW, lactose intolerance is affected by a specific gene, so this is usually a great case to discuss how humans are affected by changes in gene frequency or structure over time (i.e., evolution). The examples are pretty much basic stuff in intro to biological anthropology classes.

Of course, if you take in yogurt, you let the bacteria break down the sugar lactase!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Do y'all, and I mean Wilson and Lavabe specifically, offer online classes? Seriously! Better still do you ever guest lecture at Duke? That is a class I'd sign up for in a heartbeat!

Thumbs up Take Intro to Bio Anthro

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Do y'all, and I mean Wilson and Lavabe specifically, offer online classes? Seriously! Better still do you ever guest lecture at Duke? That is a class I'd sign up for in a heartbeat!
    Thanks ... but you have to pay tuition to get my on-line/iTunesU stuff, at least for now. I just saw that Duke is making an investment on "innovative teaching" hires across the curriculum in the next couple of years. They absolutely have the right idea, especially as iTunesU gets more popular. Among the benefits, it'll make things easier for you to get material on-line.

Having said that, there's always the outside chance that I might be up visiting the lemur folks in Durham (when I'm not visiting devildeac). I'll let you know if I'm up in Durham/Raleigh/Greensboro (man I hope in Greensboro) sometime soon. Sometimes on-tap courses are more fun than those on-line.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Thanks ... but you have to pay tuition to get my on-line/iTunesU stuff, at least for now.
    Guess my Duke discount won't extend to Emory. And am guessing too that I'd have to pay full tuition.

Having said that, there's always the outside chance that I might be up visiting the lemur folks in Durham (when I'm not visiting devildeac). I'll let you know if I'm up in Durham/Raleigh/Greensboro (man I hope in Greensboro) sometime soon. Sometimes on-tap courses are more fun than those on-line.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    That would be cool! Am planning to visit devildeac this weekend to exchange some brews.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Brilliant! So if I drink a lot of milk and eat meat and yogurt I'll evolve to fit into my "genes"?

I like the Fulani already. Do they play basketball?