Page 2010 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 101015101910196020002008200920102011201220202060211025103010 ... LastLast
Results 40,181 to 40,200 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    How do you feel about snakes on planes?
    I know the question wasn't directed to me but I'm going to answer anyway. I'm fine with them on planes

AS LONG AS I'M NOT ON THE PLANE.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    In the 80’s I lived in LA and convinced my ex to answer an ad for Jokers Wild. She went in, took the test but wasn’t selected. A month or two later we get a call and the person says she had scored too high for Jokers Wild but would she be interested in being a contestant on Tic-Tac-Dough? For those of you too young to remember the game was hosted by Wink Martindale and worked exactly like Tic-Tac-Toe: mark 3 boxes in a row, column, diagonal you win. Questions were approx Jeopardy difficulty.

So wife packs up several outfits and we go to the taping where they shoot 5 episodes a day. My wife is told she is up for third episode. First two, the 6 time champion cruises to victory.

She goes up, chit chats, then goes first. Against my prior advice she picks a corner question (she liked category) instead of the center square. Bad mistake - strategically taking center first gives you a freeroll. But anyway she gets it right, yay. The champion goes 2nd and ... misses!?! That means my wife can force a win if she gets next two. And then we are all surprised - the show breaks for dinner! The champion is sweating the whole break since he has lost control of the board.

We come back, she picks the center square and gets a question about a British actor in a movie. She’s knows all the actors in the movie but none of them are British? So she misses. From there on neither misses but he is able to force a win.

TV cameras pan to me and our two sons in audience. I put a comforting hand on my oldest’s head, he slaps it off angrily, he’s mad that we just missed out on thousands of dollars and a chance to win the “Brand new car!” they had us practice cheering about in the audience warmups.

Our consolation prizes? An ugly yellow coffee maker and a “years supply” of Peppermint Patty’s. The British actor? Cary Grant. Wife knew he was actor in the movie but never thought of him as British.

They don’t tell you when the episode will air so I’ve never seen it. However years later after we moved to Durham and I was coaching a youth soccer team one of the dads came up to me and said he had just seen my wife on Tic-Tac-Dough! I forgot to ask if they showed my sons angry shove away. But at least I know we didn’t dream it!
    1-I did not know Cary Grant was British, either. Or I forgot. I would have missed that, too.

2 - I remember watching Tic-Tac-Dough! They always had the category Beatle-mania!

3 - Remember when Duke would host those food tasting things in the spring, with a bunch of companies sharing their wares in hopes of selling in the food halls? Well one group, no idea what they were selling, did an 80s trivia thing were you could win prizes. I won a denim shirt with a jalapeno embroidered on it by answering What 80s game show host was named after a soft drink? The students were clueless as to 80s trivia, and I could only win one prize, so I stood to the side for a while and told students the answers so they could win.

4 - How long did the peppermint patties last? I would have eaten them all in a week!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Oh, my Trebek story would definitely beat out anything else I had to say.
    Intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Ugh, yes. My dollar total is in like the 98th percentile of losing scores.
    I can see that. About a 35k swing in winnings but still pretty darn cool. You were a total gamer!

Every one check out early?

Don’t go Jason waterfalls...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Don’t go Jason waterfalls...
    She's got a tick in her eye . . .

Lunch time!!!!

first meal in a restaurant in the last 15 months, got some sushi...it brought back memories...I at there 20+ years ago when it first opened, spoke at length with the Chinese owner at the bar while my sushi to go was made...and several days later he went to the restaurant he used to co-own and shot and killed his former partner and that guys wife... https://www.timesargus.com/news/man-...ness%20partner.

She's got a tick in her eye . . .
    This made my Friday afternoon. Thank you! Cannot sporkenzeaimo!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    first meal in a restaurant in the last 15 months, got some sushi...it brought back memories...I at there 20+ years ago when it first opened, spoke at length with the Chinese owner at the bar while my sushi to go was made...and several days later he went to the restaurant he used to co-own and shot and killed his former partner and that guys wife... https://www.timesargus.com/news/man-...ness%20partner.
    Twenty five years is coming up soon depending upon how the time in the hospital is counted. I always wonder how people who have been out of society for that long reacclimate themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Do you still have the coffee maker?
    No- it was a very REALLY ugly yellow - not exaggerating. Stuffed in a cabinet and probably thrown away when we moved. We did eat the boxes of Peppermint Pattys (Patty’s, Patty?) they sent. Well my family did - I’m one of those rare people who don’t like mint flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This made my Friday afternoon. Thank you! Cannot sporkenzeaimo!
    I am infamous for misunderstood lyrics. Glad to amuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I know the question wasn't directed to me but I'm going to answer anyway. I'm fine with them on planes

AS LONG AS I'M NOT ON THE PLANE.
    Even if they are just little garter snakes?

1-I did not know Cary Grant was British, either. Or I forgot. I would have missed that, too.
    4 - How long did the peppermint patties last? I would have eaten them all in a week!
    Yeah the Cary Grant question bordered on unfair since he had been acting in America forever (I think?).

My family shared your taste - the patties were gone in 1 - 2 weeks. IIRC the “year supply” they sent us was one medium box worth (approx 1’ x 1’ x 1’) with several smaller plastic wrapped boxes inside.

Twenty five years is coming up soon depending upon how the time in the hospital is counted. I always wonder how people who have been out of society for that long reacclimate themselves.
    yes, I'll be checking the papers to see if they mention his release...

Suicide or building boats on a tropical beach with no apparent access to modern tools. Those are the options according to Shawshank.

Recognize mine?

I am infamous for misunderstood lyrics. Glad to amuse you.
    Maybe it's just an evil brother
    Probably adopted from before

Answer can be highlighted here:

Maybe it's just an ego problem
    Problem is that I've been fooled before

Even if they are just little garter snakes?
    Depends - is the flight free and where is it going? Most likely, no.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Bad Moon Rising is one of my karaoke go-tos. I always slip in directions to the bathroom during at least one of the choruses.