Page 2008 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 100815081908195819982006200720082009201020182058210825083008 ... LastLast
Results 40,141 to 40,160 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Interesting that you should mention the country music part. On the day I got my first Covid shot, I got back in my truck and fired up my "feel good" playlist...the one I turn to when I'm feeling happy/relaxed/celebratory/etc. Out of like 9 hours of music, shuffled completely at random, this song came up and I just went to pieces:

REK makes my day!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I've always been amused by the 40 second banter between game show hosts and the contestants. It's the most banal thing on the planet, and requires the host to feign interest in the most dull things. Examples (completely made up, but almost certainly real);

So, it says here you have two dogs? What's that like?

My card here says you work in a school? Tell us more about that!

You grew up in Des Moines? Tell me what that was like.
    Well, whenever I do make it onto Jeopardy, I have my chat bit all ready! I won't share it now, you'll have to wait. Might be a while. Hint: It involves Alex Trebek!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Well, whenever I do make it onto Jeopardy, I have my chat bit all ready! I won't share it now, you'll have to wait. Might be a while. Hint: It involves Alex Trebek!
    They make you provide 5 pre-approved chat bits, and then the host picks the one they like best.

They make you provide 5 pre-approved chat bits, and then the host picks the one they like best.
    Trebek asked me about how I missed a day or two of school every year in high school to attend the ACC tournament, telling my teachers I was going on a "college visit," which was true-ish.

Aimo could take the BBT approach (S6, Ep. 19 The Closet Reconfiguration) to revealing the contents of a letter from one character's estranged parent:

"Sheldon continues that if each person present him with an account of the letter with only one being true, he will forever be in a state of epistemic ambivalence."

Aimo could make up 4 stories and then tell the true no matter which route the host goes. Something like that. It made sense in my head. Less so now.

Trebek asked me about how I missed a day or two of school every year in high school to attend the ACC tournament, telling my teachers I was going on a "college visit," which was true-ish.
    Wait, so you were on the show? I did not know that.

Interesting that you should mention the country music part. On the day I got my first Covid shot, I got back in my truck and fired up my "feel good" playlist...the one I turn to when I'm feeling happy/relaxed/celebratory/etc. Out of like 9 hours of music, shuffled completely at random, this song came up and I just went to pieces:

REK is a NATIONAL TREASURE.

5E6B0B60-7358-4072-8774-569CBFF045FD.jpg

REK and Lyle, in town for a Halloween 2019 show.

(REK said he was dressed as “William Shakespur”)

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Wait, so you were on the show? I did not know that.
    Yes, I appeared in Week 1 of the 2007-08 season.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    REK is a NATIONAL TREASURE.
    Indeed he is.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Them's fightin' words!
    I'm fairly certain we were separated at birth.

Well that is cool as crap!

Very cool! Never took the test but probably should have in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Well, Regis asked me to say "I love you" in Turkish, Czech, and Russian.
    I'm gonna need a YouTube clip of that!

Okay, another YouTube request.

Who knew I was (virtually) among such accomplished folk?

Okay, another YouTube request.

Who knew I was (virtually) among such accomplished folk?
    Hah, I don’t think mine is on YouTube, but I think eventually they’ll drop it as part of one of those Netflix batches.

Road goes on forever is playing on Pandora right now!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Road goes on forever is playing on Pandora right now!
    . . .and the party never ends . . . .

In the 80’s I lived in LA and convinced my ex to answer an ad for Jokers Wild. She went in, took the test but wasn’t selected. A month or two later we get a call and the person says she had scored too high for Jokers Wild but would she be interested in being a contestant on Tic-Tac-Dough? For those of you too young to remember the game was hosted by Wink Martindale and worked exactly like Tic-Tac-Toe: mark 3 boxes in a row, column, diagonal you win. Questions were approx Jeopardy difficulty.

So wife packs up several outfits and we go to the taping where they shoot 5 episodes a day. My wife is told she is up for third episode. First two, the 6 time champion cruises to victory.

She goes up, chit chats, then goes first. Against my prior advice she picks a corner question (she liked category) instead of the center square. Bad mistake - strategically taking center first gives you a freeroll. But anyway she gets it right, yay. The champion goes 2nd and ... misses!?! That means my wife can force a win if she gets next two. And then we are all surprised - the show breaks for dinner! The champion is sweating the whole break since he has lost control of the board.

We come back, she picks the center square and gets a question about a British actor in a movie. She’s knows all the actors in the movie but none of them are British? So she misses. From there on neither misses but he is able to force a win.

TV cameras pan to me and our two sons in audience. I put a comforting hand on my oldest’s head, he slaps it off angrily, he’s mad that we just missed out on thousands of dollars and a chance to win the “Brand new car!” they had us practice cheering about in the audience warmups.

Our consolation prizes? An ugly yellow coffee maker and a “years supply” of Peppermint Patty’s. The British actor? Cary Grant. Wife knew he was actor in the movie but never thought of him as British.

They don’t tell you when the episode will air so I’ve never seen it. However years later after we moved to Durham and I was coaching a youth soccer team one of the dads came up to me and said he had just seen my wife on Tic-Tac-Dough! I forgot to ask if they showed my sons angry shove away. But at least I know we didn’t dream it!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I'm gonna need a YouTube clip of that!
    I don't know how to find one. I guessed wrong going for $32,000. I was not in the right frame of mind to go on a game show, I found it nerve-wracking and kinda depressing. If I had gotten the next person's questions instead of mine, I would have won $250,000 (maybe more cause I knew the question that caused him to walk away). Luck matters in life more than we like to admit. Luck got me on the show, luck got me in the chair, not quite lucky enough to win a bunch of money. Darn it. Bottom line though, I was just embarrassed that I was wrong on national tv and also embarrassed that I cared so much. If I could have just enjoyed the experience, it would have been a lot better.

The original air date was, I think March 27, 2001, definitely late March.