Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'll check them both out. Thank you very much. I haven't been there to play in years. I think I'm due.
    Happy to help, and feel free to PM me for any additional input. I can't say that I have played all of them, but I have played (or daddy-caddied on) a lot of them.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Fore is right!

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I had a friend hit me in the back of my leg at the driving range. He was standing behind me. He was new, I should've known to keep him in front of me where I could see him. 😀
    One of the guys(asst. pastor) that plays with us on Monday told me a very funny story about a crazy shot he saw. Four of our church guys were playing and one guy missed the fairway on the other side of the cart path. His line of flight was to go over on of the carts that was parked on an incline. Someone asked his if he wanted the cart moved out of the way. He said no, I've got this. The guy then hits a line drive into the cart and hits the brake pedal. The cart then begins to roll down the hill. One of the other golfers ran and tried to hold the cart but he couldn't. The guy holding the cart was wearing golf shoes with metal spikes and there was sparks flying up as the cart dragged him part way down the hill. I crack up just picturing all this going on. That would have been good for first place on one of those video shows. I told our guys it might be a good idea to have worn helmets back in the day. Thank goodness we all play better than that.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    One of the guys(asst. pastor) that plays with us on Monday told me a very funny story about a crazy shot he saw. Four of our church guys were playing and one guy missed the fairway on the other side of the cart path. His line of flight was to go over on of the carts that was parked on an incline. Someone asked his if he wanted the cart moved out of the way. He said no, I've got this. The guy then hits a line drive into the cart and hits the brake pedal. The cart then begins to roll down the hill. One of the other golfers ran and tried to hold the cart but he couldn't. The guy holding the cart was wearing golf shoes with metal spikes and there was sparks flying up as the cart dragged him part way down the hill. I crack up just picturing all this going on. That would have been good for first place on one of those video shows. I told our guys it might be a good idea to have worn helmets back in the day. Thank goodness we all play better than that.
    My immediate thought was, did he get to drop his ball where the cart ended down the hill (assuming it stayed in the cart) or where it hit the cart?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    My immediate thought was, did he get to drop his ball where the cart ended down the hill (assuming it stayed in the cart) or where it hit the cart?
    Rule 19.1. Player can play it as it lies without penalty or replay the shot from the original location.

Most of the course I've been playing in the triangle area are fairly inexpensive and sometimes a bit rough around the edges (Falls Village, Crossings, Wildwood Green, Lochmere, Hillendale, etc).
    Now that I can only get out a couple of times a year (my back’s recovery from more than nine holes takes a couple of days) I’d love to find some less travelled course in the area. Suggestions? (I haven’t played Hillendale in ages; it was the first course where I was able to break 80 back while in grad school.). mainly, I’d hate to play like I do now with somebody decent, and mess up their play. (I’m usually a single.)

I used to drive ten miles north of Hillsborough to Cedar Grove, where I could be one of the few out there (and in my younger days could walk 18 holes in about two hours) or drive a couple of miles to Lake Shore (more crowded but could guess less crowded times.). Cedar Grove closed a little while after the owner died, and his heirs didn’t much to keep it up even to its low standards, and Lake Shore closed last year, giving it to real estate pressures and is now becoming a Sub-division.

As you can probably tell from my pace at Cedar Grove, I hated going to most courses in the ‘90s and ‘00s where it seemed every player though they were a pro, and took 20 practice swings and lined up putts forever to leave it 15 feet short or wide. (Can you tell I have no patience. My father learned to play in Ireland, where if you did that, the caddie would drop your bag halfway through and go back to pick up one for somebody playing “properly.” I picked up his style and pace of play.)

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Rule 19.1. Player can play it as it lies without penalty or replay the shot from the original location.
    I’d expect a free lift from the man made obstruction of the cart and/or cart path underneath. (Haven’t read the updated, simpler, rules.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Now that I can only get out a couple of times a year (my back’s recovery from more than nine holes takes a couple of days) I’d love to find some less travelled course in the area. Suggestions? (I haven’t played Hillendale in ages; it was the first course where I was able to break 80 back while in grad school.). mainly, I’d hate to play like I do now with somebody decent, and mess up their play. (I’m usually a single.)

I used to drive ten miles north of Hillsborough to Cedar Grove, where I could be one of the few out there (and in my younger days could walk 18 holes in about two hours) or drive a couple of miles to Lake Shore (more crowded but could guess less crowded times.). Cedar Grove closed a little while after the owner died, and his heirs didn’t much to keep it up even to its low standards, and Lake Shore closed last year, giving it to real estate pressures and is now becoming a Sub-division.

As you can probably tell from my pace at Cedar Grove, I hated going to most courses in the ‘90s and ‘00s where it seemed every player though they were a pro, and took 20 practice swings and lined up putts forever to leave it 15 feet short or wide. (Can you tell I have no patience. My father learned to play in Ireland, where if you did that, the caddie would drop your bag halfway through and go back to pick up one for somebody playing “properly.” I picked up his style and pace of play.)
    I basically learned to play at Lake Shore in the late 90's. It's still the one course that I can go through each hole in my head. Note a great course but a great location for those of us that work in RTP. We could sneak out of work and be at Lake Shore in 10 minutes. If you were having a day where you were hitting it somewhat straight, you could really score at Lake Shore.

On the Ireland front, went to Ireland and Scotland for the first time last year. Loved it. I played two rounds of golf in Scotland. One was at Musselburgh Links, claims to be Scotlands oldest golf course. Rough course but worth it for the history. The other place was some place called St. Andrews, windy course.

Knowing those guys, they probably placed the ball on the green. They have some very forgiving rules.

Son playing junior event at River Landing in Wallace, NC, next week. On the Landing Course. Anybody have intel?

Big Cedar Lodge golf courses (Hollister, MO)

Resurrecting the thread because our family just finished a Spring Break visit to Big Cedar Lodge, in the Ozark Mountains of southwestern Missouri (approximately 3 miles from the Missouri/Arkansas border). We had such a great time, and highly recommend it.

The resort is owned and developed by local hero Johnny Morris (of Bass Pro Shops fame). It sports a total of five golf courses: three traditional 18-hole tracks, and two par-3 courses (one 13 holes long, one just nine holes). We played only four of them, because the nine-hole Jack Nicklaus design par-3 course (Top of the Rock) was, regrettably, closed for maintenance.

Comments below, with a note that wind played a major role each time we played, which the locals say is normal because these courses are set right at the top of one of the Ozarks' higher peaks in the area.

(1) Mountaintop: This is the 13-hole par-3 course. Designed by Gary Player. The shortest hole is only about 95 yards. The longest stretches to approximately 200. We played it twice. The second time the wind was really, really blowing, so my son & I decided to just try to hit crazy shots and not worry about keeping score that time. It was so much fun. The signature hole is probably the 9th, with the green set right up against a series of 10-15 foot tall rock formations along the right side. And the sunset over the 13th hole can often be spectacular.

(2) Ozarks National: A Bill Coore & Ben Crenshaw design. As minimalist as you would expect from them. The land is used extremely well, and there is very little "built in" to the design. Some rather challenging par 3's, a couple of short par 4's that require precision rather than length, and gettable par 5's. My only complaint is that some "local knowledge" is required to really score on this course. For instance, the tee shot at the par-4 10th is fairly blind, and what is hidden is a *huge* right-to-left drop-off that requires one to hit an iron up the right side, rather than a driver down what one otherwise would think is the "middle." All three of our group that day lost balls in the left junk because we didn't know it was there. And there's no caddie option, so we were on our own. That's a nit, though, because this is a really high-quality golf course.

(3) Buffalo Ridge Springs: About as far away from minimalist as one could find in a next-door neighbor. Tom Fazio designed this course, and built-in a lot of waterfall formations and covered wooden bridges that make this track more photogenic, but somewhat less "authentic," than Ozarks National. That said, it's Buffalo Ridge Springs had more memorable holes. The back nine runs down in the canyon just below the resort's main clubhouse, and the par-5 14th and par-4 15th are a really scenic mid-round pairing. The memorability factor had me liking this one just slightly more than ON, but it's a virtual tie.

(4) Payne's Valley: This is the Tiger Woods designed course that just recently opened, and where they held the match-play event with Tiger, Rory, Justin Thomas, and Justin Rose. Kudos to Eldrick on a fantastically fun course. The rock formations adjacent to the first tee, and that one must traverse to get back to the clubhouse from the 18th and 19th holes, are unlike anything I've seen in golf course design. The course itself has really wide, fairly forgiving fairways, and huge greens. But with the wind whipping the way it was the day we played (think Kiawah's Ocean Course on a windy day), Payne's might be unplayable otherwise. Super firm, and super fast, with the greens tiered in a sneaky-difficult way. The 18th is a par 5 that finishes up against the rock base, and then the "added bonus" 19th hole is an island green below a waterfall. It has become super-popular (it's totally booked up through June), but Payne's Valley (named in honor of local golf legend, the late Payne Stewart) lives up to the hype, IMO.

A word about Top of the Rock. It is in a different location than the above-listed courses, and is the oldest of the five. It is set in the resort's main area, by the Cathedral of the Ozarks and with a view looking down to Table Rock Lake. Sunsets there are terrific as well. The course itself is reminiscent, in look and feel, of Augusta National's par-3 course. And our timing was great because the redbuds were in full bloom, and the white dogwoods had come out by the end of our stay. Impressively scenic.

Big Cedar has something for everyone, including a spa, lots of nature activities, and other amenities that cater to families. All of it exceeded our expectations, and it is a we would not hesitate to visit again.

thanks for those reviews. Super jealous here, and all the course sound fantastic. And I'm used to playing in 2- to 3-club winds, because it is often like that at my most commonly played course here in Chesapeake, VA.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

thanks for those reviews. Super jealous here, and all the course sound fantastic. And I'm used to playing in 2- to 3-club winds, because it is often like that at my most commonly played course here in Chesapeake, VA.
    Homeboy had never experienced anything quite like that, and he likes to play the ball high & spinny. He eventually came around a little . . . . .

Deep Springs Country Club.

I just read Deep Springs CC in Stoneville, NC has made the NC Golf Panel's list of top courses in NC. Deep Springs is a Ellis Maples design that many people who have played it came away saying it's a hidden gem. It's #32 in the top 50 NC courses you can play and it's #98 in the top 100 courses in NC. The list contains most of the Pinehurst courses, with Pinehurst #1 rated the top course. Some other rated courses: Duke University Golf Club #12, Tanglewood Champions is #27 and Greensboro National ranked #47. If you've never played it, I suggest you call and get a week day tee time. When I lived in that area, I played it often and was never disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I just read Deep Springs CC in Stoneville, NC has made the NC Golf Panel's list of top courses in NC. Deep Springs is a Ellis Maples design that many people who have played it came away saying it's a hidden gem. It's #32 in the top 50 NC courses you can play and it's #98 in the top 100 courses in NC. The list contains most of the Pinehurst courses, with Pinehurst #1 rated the top course. Some other rated courses: Duke University Golf Club #12, Tanglewood Champions is #27 and Greensboro National ranked #47. If you've never played it, I suggest you call and get a week day tee time. When I lived in that area, I played it often and was never disappointed.
    I have heard good things, and am generally a fan of Ellis Maples courses, but haven’t made it up to Deep Springs. May need to remedy that.

The Western Intercollegiate is being held at Pasatiempo and watching it reminds me why I keep this course at the top of my "realistic wish list." The course looks absolutely incredible and is one of the few Mackenzie courses that are relatively accessible.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Hope it's OK to post this question here...

A friend of mine is going to Myrtle Beach with a few guys to play in a few weeks. Wants to play 2-3 rounds. He asked me for course recommendations because my group goes every year. Figured I'd ask here because my group generally play a set of mid-priced courses. So I can recommend some places I like (Arrowhead, Myrtlewood, Pine Lakes, etc) but if anyone else has recommendations I'd love to hear them. If there are places he shouldn't miss (even if it costs more)...

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I grew up around the Myrtle Beach area, Conway actually. Played a lot of courses. but typically stay around the Pawleys Island end.

My favorite course in the MB/Pawleys Island area is Caledonia.

http://www.caledoniagolfandfishclub.com

Mike Strantz design. Live oaks, water. Great golf course.
    Hope it's OK to post this question here...

A friend of mine is going to Myrtle Beach with a few guys to play in a few weeks. Wants to play 2-3 rounds. He asked me for course recommendations because my group goes every year. Figured I'd ask here because my group generally play a set of mid-priced courses. So I can recommend some places I like (Arrowhead, Myrtlewood, Pine Lakes, etc) but if anyone else has recommendations I'd love to hear them. If there are places he shouldn't miss (even if it costs more)...
    One suggestion from upthread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    One suggestion from upthread.
    Thanks, I laughed at myself when I realized I hadn't searched the thread before posting (something I'd normally do). I've not played Calcedonia but I've heard of it. I'll pass that along...happy to hare of others. rthomas, you still read this thread?

Thanks, I laughed at myself when I realized I hadn't searched the thread before posting (something I'd normally do). I've not played Calcedonia but I've heard of it. I'll pass that along...happy to hare of others. rthomas, you still read this thread?
    No worries. One other place they might check is a Facebook group called "Places to Play." I see Myrtle Beach discussions pop up there with some regularity. Besides Caledonia (which I have not played), the other frequently mentioned course is True Blue.

They should avoid the Hackler course in Conway unless there have been drought conditions. That place never dries out!

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    The Western Intercollegiate is being held at Pasatiempo and watching it reminds me why I keep this course at the top of my "realistic wish list." The course looks absolutely incredible and is one of the few Mackenzie courses that are relatively accessible.
    I was fortunate enough to play this track when I was a teenager. Fantastic course. Went around the front side with only ten putts, including draining at least two from 15-30 feet. Very good memories of that course.