Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

2019 NBA Summer Free Agency/Trades

Ok, I just saw some news and was trying to figure out where to fit it. It ain't about the draft or the playoffs so I think we need a new off-season collector thread. Here you go... have at it!

Oh, and that news that I saw... Al Horford is opting out of his $30 mil option year with the Celtics. I suspect there will be more than a few contenders who will want him quite badly (good rebounding, good outside shooting, rim protecting, good clubhouse leader).

If he leaves Boston... whew, that team will have just been whipped by the past year. A year ago they had all the pieces plus super draft assets. But then the Kings won more than expected, Kyrie couldn't mesh with the youngsters, and GHey turned out to be a shadow of his former self.

-Jason "show how much good or bad luck can make a GM look smart or stupid" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ok, I just saw some news and was trying to figure out where to fit it. It ain't about the draft or the playoffs so I think we need a new off-season collector thread. Here you go... have at it!

Oh, and that news that I saw... Al Horford is opting out of his $30 mil option year with the Celtics. I suspect there will be more than a few contenders who will want him quite badly (good rebounding, good outside shooting, rim protecting, good clubhouse leader).

If he leaves Boston... whew, that team will have just been whipped by the past year. A year ago they had all the pieces plus super draft assets. But then the Kings won more than expected, Kyrie couldn't mesh with the youngsters, and GHey turned out to be a shadow of his former self.

-Jason "show how much good or bad luck can make a GM look smart or stupid" Evans
    Ooops... he's not leaving the Cs. According to the Boston Herald:

Al Horford could remain with the Boston Celtics even if he declines his $30.1 million player option for 2019-20.

According to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald, "the sides have been discussing a plan where he comes in at a lower number next season and gets two more years tacked on in a new deal."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yeah, Boston appears to have whiffed on things a bit (and gotten bad luck with the injury to Hayward), holding on to those draft assets for a bit too long and getting stuck with a bunch of mediocre draft picks in what appears to be a weak draft class.

It will be interesting to see if Horford does indeed opt out. It's a good time to do so, with lots of teams having cash this offseason and with Irving appearing ready to jump ship and Marcus Morris a free agent. And maybe he can capitalize and get one last big contract.

If Horford leaves, the Celtics could have a few million in cap space (assuming they retain the cap holds for Rozier and Theis for about $11 million combined and renounce everyone else). If Horford AND Irving leave, they'll have about $25 million in cap space in that scenario. Not really enough to add a superstar, so they would have to rely on Tatum, Brown, and Rozier to make the jump. The retaining of Smart - a good role player but not a transcendent player - has sort of handcuffed them this offseason.

As for Hayward, he actually had a pretty decent year last year. His per-36 numbers and rate stats were more or less in line with his career norms: lower scoring rate but higher efficiency, more rebounds, more assists, and fewer turnovers. He just played more limited minutes due to returning from injury and the Celtics' depth. He wasn't as good as his best year, of course, but he was far from bad. Truth is, he was probably overpaid originally relative to what the Celtics "needed", as his skill set sort of duplicates what Tatum does (but with better passing).

This is going to be another really entertaining offseason to see where all the dominoes fall. Maybe Horford re-signs with the Celtics (which would really be the only free agent acquisition of impact they could make), they re-sign Rozier, and they add a decent player with the MLE. That would keep them interesting in the East, especially if/when Kawhi leaves and if Philly takes a roster hit.

Ooops... he's not leaving the Cs. According to the Boston Herald:
    "Al Horford could remain with the Boston Celtics even if he declines his $30.1 million player option for 2019-20.

According to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald, "the sides have been discussing a plan where he comes in at a lower number next season and gets two more years tacked on in a new deal."
    This makes a lot of sense. My first reaction to your original post was "is someone really going to pay a 33 year old PF more than 30 mil?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This makes a lot of sense. My first reaction to your original post was "is someone really going to pay a 33 year old PF more than 30 mil?
    Yeah, and from Boston's perspective it is all they can really hope for. They're at the point cap-wise where they can't get a player of his caliber (or even close) back in free agency. A trimmed down but longer-term deal would help keep them south of the luxury tax with Rozier's salary rising (presumably they will re-sign either Rozier or Irving, with Rozier being the fallback if/when Irving leaves).

A lineup of Rozier, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Horford with Hayward, Theis, Baynes, and whatever they can get with their 3 mid-1st picks Thursday is still a top-tier Eastern Conference team. Not a juggernaut, but a top-4 in the East with a decent chance at the Finals.

According to the Charlotte media, the Lakers are going to go hard after Kemba Walker.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...231639258.html

Coming into the season the Celtics had just barely missed the Finals despite two starters being out, they had the best young coach in the league, several promising young players, a ton of trade assets to potentially make a mid-season run at Anthony Davis, and Kyrie publicly announced that he wanted to re-sign after the season. They were pretty much in basketball nirvana. Their fall from being in an absolute ideal situation to their season distintegrating has been a real kick to the crotch. I hate to say it but it reminds me of Duke’s 2016-2017 season in terms of high expectations that were subsequently crushed.

I just read the details of the draft picks the Pelicans got from the Lakers. Wow... did they ever get haul from Rob Pelinka.

The Pelicans get:

• No. 4 pick in 2019
    • Nothing in 2020 when the Lakers are likely to be really good
    • 2021 first-round pick (top-8 protected). Becomes unprotected 2022 pick if it does not convey in 2021, but it seems like the Lakers will still be good in 2021
    • Right to swap first-round picks in 2023 (so if Lakers have higher pick in draft, Pelicans can swap spots)
    • 2024 unprotected first-round pick, with the option to defer unprotected pick to 2025

Those 2 picks in 2023 and 2025 could be super valuable. Lebron will be 38-40 at that point and it is not impossible to imagine that the Lakers will be in serious decline at that point.

-Jason "David Griffin and Trajan Langdon may have gotten away with murder in this trade... we won't know for sure for a few years but it feels like it" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I hate to say it but it reminds me of Duke’s 2016-2017 season in terms of high expectations that were subsequently crushed.
    At least we got a glorious four days in early March out of it. Not sure the Celtics ever had a really good moment where it all felt like it was falling in place in the past season.

Lakers

Need to fill out the team. Kemba would be great, and LeBron, Davis, Kuzma and Walker would be four really really good players.

But they can't play all 48 minutes.

Shooter? JJ maybe.

I don't follow the Lakers that closely. They generally have drafted well but their non super star free agent pick ups have not been very good.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Need to fill out the team. Kemba would be great, and LeBron, Davis, Kuzma and Walker would be four really really good players.

But they can't play all 48 minutes.

Shooter? JJ maybe.

I don't follow the Lakers that closely. They generally have drafted well but their non super star free agent pick ups have not been very good.

SoCal
    The Lakers will almost certainly not have the cap space to sign Walker or any of the top free agents, unless those guys want to take a heavy discount or somehow convince New Orleans to weight until the end of the month to make the trade (that's when the #4 pick could be traded after being signed). Neither of which seem overly likely.

Minnesota Timberwolves are aggressively seeking to trade Andrew Wiggins according to multiple sources via Twitter. I only say because the Hornets are listed as suitors.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Minnesota Timberwolves are aggressively seeking to trade Andrew Wiggins according to multiple sources via Twitter. I only say because the Hornets are listed as suitors.
    For Sale: 6-8 forward who is a very inefficient scorer. Does not play hard on defense nor does he fight for rebounds. A bit of a locker room cancer who has never played on a club that was very successful. He is a pretty good dunker. Has 4 years and $122 million left on his contract.

-Jason "I'm sure there are offers just pouring in for him... " Evans

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The Lakers will almost certainly not have the cap space to sign Walker or any of the top free agents, unless those guys want to take a heavy discount or somehow convince New Orleans to weight until the end of the month to make the trade (that's when the #4 pick could be traded after being signed). Neither of which seem overly likely.
    This was the true pound of flesh extracted in the deal, the July 6 effective date.

What else will the Lakes have to throw in to postpone the effective date of the trade? They NEED that cap space to sign another All-star level player to team with LBJ to make this deal worthwhile and to make the most of the few years LBJ has left. If they don't get the space this year, can they create it next year? Waiting to resign AD until after they sign other free-agents?

For Sale: 6-8 forward who is a very inefficient scorer. Does not play hard on defense nor does he fight for rebounds. A bit of a locker room cancer who has never played on a club that was very successful. He is a pretty good dunker. Has 4 years and $122 million left on his contract.

-Jason "I'm sure there are offers just pouring in for him... " Evans
    So true...and yet no doubt someone will be willing to take him...I'd start with the Nix...Wiggins won't even be the best Canadian in the league next year...

To be fair, the player most commonly linked to Wiggins is Jabari Parker, as they came out the same year. And a lot of the above also applies to Jabari, minus the locker room cancer and bloated contract.

To be fair, the player most commonly linked to Wiggins is Jabari Parker, as they came out the same year. And a lot of the above also applies to Jabari, minus the locker room cancer and bloated contract.
    In the modern NBA, it is that contract that may be the worst of the sins.

I was never sold on Wiggins being a better prospect than Parker, and thought the Cavs were smart to get Love instead of trying to win with Wiggins.

But I never would have guessed that Embiid would be so much better than both Wiggins and Parker.
    Carolina delenda est

Prince Harry just declined his one year $25.1 million player option with the Kings... he is now an unrestricted free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Prince Harry just declined his one year $25.1 million player option with the Kings... he is now an unrestricted free agent.
    Let’s hope he regains his form as 2016 NBA Finals MVP for the Cleveland Cavaliers!