Page 1791 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 79112911691174117811789179017911792179318011841189122912791 ... LastLast
Results 35,801 to 35,820 of 67398
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Attachment 12668

Crisis averted, but egos were bruised in the incident.
    Scallops, bacon, and grits?

That looks like a bowl of goodness!

“Only good if you live under a rock and don’t know any better. A poor attempt to be a thread. Never again. The food discussion is vaguely humorous at first, but this one guy has appointed himself arbiter of all things meat and derides the opinions of others. There is a girl on there threatening to pop him in the nose and I hope she does it. The dialogue careens from lofty and self-important to earthy and lowbrow. I got bored fast, and the fact that they can never stay on topic (I don't KNOW that they understand what a topic even is) didn't help in the least. If you are looking for something timely and actually informative you should stick to the Beer thread. Those guys speak like warrior poets.”

-Anonymous DBR reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I’m beginning to think you don’t want to explain your LTE review...

Reviews express feelings at a point in time. In other words they change. I probably rated this thread a decade ago. Yes, a decade.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    When a scale allows you to rate something from 1-5 stars, I rarely give a 5 star rating. When a scale allows you to rate something from 1-4 stars, I give out about the same number of 4 star ratings as I do when the elusive 5 star rating is an option. 4 stars is like an A grade, 5 stars is something more. 5 stars are for unicorns, near perfection, the practically unattainable. I feel the same way about standing ovations although I will follow the crowd and if the people I'm at the show with stand up, I will too. If you want me to be the first one out of my seat though, you gotta give a 5 star performance.

Lia Cirio as Odile/Odette in Swan Lake, Boston Ballet, in, I think 2016.
    The ART's production of A Touch of the Poet in the 1990s.

Those were standing ovation worthy performances. I hold performances/productions up to different standards though. If I am at a fringe or community theater production, close to perfect means something a little bit different. It's like having a lower start value in your gymnastics routine at the Olympics. That said, I have twice been involved in performances that deserved standing ovations. The first was the Saturday night performance during the second weekend of a 1998 production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof where I played Mae and the second was the last performance of the August, 2018 production of A Midsummer Night's Dream where I played Titania. We got a standing ovation that same summer for an outdoor production of Othello that kind of shocked me. First, standing Os for outdoor performances are more rare, people have to get up off a blanket on the ground, it's a bigger decision and second, I wasn't quite sure that we deserved it. But then I thought about my own standing O, degree of difficulty/start value analogy and I realized that given the resources available to us for the production, yeah, we were firing on all cylinders and probably deserved that level of recognition. Still, that performance was not as perfect feeling as an actor as the other two were.

So, 4 stars for this thread? Sure. Somedays it reaches 5 star level but not every day, so an overall 4 star rating feels about right.

I had a message on my answering machine (Yes, I'm old school and have a landline) from a name that didn't mean anything but the message was that they were hoping they had reached "my name" and wanted a call back. Did a bit of googling and realize it is the sister of someone I know but haven't really kept in touch with for a number of years. (I got tired of being the one doing the reaching out and the last minute cancellations.) Since I'm thinking it is going to be bad news, I'm delaying returning the call - can't call before 9am or after 9pm*. Hoping I'm wrong about the bad news but am now feeling bad about not continuing to reach out. I hope I'm not a horrible person for not calling back last night (11pm CST but caller may be in Nevada) and for dreading calling her today.

* Darn my mother - childhood training hangs on.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Scallops, bacon, and grits?
    No scallops, just very jumbo bbq shrimp and bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I had a message on my answering machine (Yes, I'm old school and have a landline) from a name that didn't mean anything but the message was that they were hoping they had reached "my name" and wanted a call back. Did a bit of googling and realize it is the sister of someone I know but haven't really kept in touch with for a number of years. (I got tired of being the one doing the reaching out and the last minute cancellations.) Since I'm thinking it is going to be bad news, I'm delaying returning the call - can't call before 9am or after 9pm*. Hoping I'm wrong about the bad news but am now feeling bad about not continuing to reach out. I hope I'm not a horrible person for not calling back last night (11pm CST but caller may be in Nevada) and for dreading calling her today.

I hope everything is okay Dink

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Me too.

today's frigid long walk featured an encounter with a flock of wild turkeys, so Clemmonsdevil came to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    today's frigid long walk featured an encounter with a flock of wild turkeys, so Clemmonsdevil came to mind...
    I have planted my flag on a very strange hill.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post

Oh, yeah, hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No scallops, just very jumbo bbq shrimp and bacon.
    Darn, wrong shellfish.

Dogs make us do the darndest things.

I think I found your hill! https://www.turkeyhill.com/

I think I found your hill! https://www.turkeyhill.com/
    Named for turkey and purveyor of my nemesis, carbohydrates.

Named for . . . my nemesis, carbohydrates.
    I thought that was The Sugar Hill Gang?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    When a scale allows you to rate something from 1-5 stars, I rarely give a 5 star rating. When a scale allows you to rate something from 1-4 stars, I give out about the same number of 4 star ratings as I do when the elusive 5 star rating is an option. 4 stars is like an A grade, 5 stars is something more. 5 stars are for unicorns, near perfection, the practically unattainable.

It's like service companies, typically automotive related, that always beg you for "all fives" ratings because apparently anything less than a score of all fives is considered a failure. If all fours means the same thing for you as all ones, then maybe your ratings system is flawed. I've stopped responding to their surveys after more than once getting a call back asking me to change my scores because I rated them all 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Oh, yeah, hoping for the best.
    Thank you. Sadly, it was the news I was afraid of hearing. Was really hoping it was to plan a surprise belated birthday party but no such luck. She was calling to let me know her sister had passed away on Tuesday.

I really need to accumulate a lot of younger friends. Knowing so many 70 and up makes for lots of opportunity to hear bad news.