Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    He's been practicing with the team and making preparations to play today.
    I fully expect him to play, but given the nature of football, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

This is the update from ESPN on Daniel's draft status:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel Jones, Duke

Year: Fourth-year junior | Ht/Wt: 6-foot-5, 220 | Career starts: 35

Total QBR: 68.0 (42nd in FBS) | Full stats

Who he is and where he ranks

Keep an eye on quarterback whisperer David Cutcliffe's latest project, who could be the biggest beneficiary of Herbert's staying in school. The Duke coach has raved about Jones, a three-year starter who took a big step forward in 2018. His career numbers don't scream first-rounder -- 47 touchdown passes and 27 interceptions, while completing 59.5 percent of his passes, with a QBR of 60.7 -- but Jones didn't play with high-end talent. He's a dual-threat signal-caller. Jones rushed for 186 yards (and threw for 361) in the Blue Devils' win over rival North Carolina. Need proof of his toughness? Jones broke the collarbone in his left, non-throwing arm in September and missed only two games. If he chooses to forgo his final season of eligibility, Jones is expected to be in the mix to be the top QB off the board.

My cable system (the U in U-Verse stands for Umbilical) says that today’s bowl game (ESPN, 1:30pm ET) will also be rebroadcast early Friday morning on ESPN2 at 12:30am ET and on ESPNU at 5:30am ET. The announcers are listed as Mike Couzens, Kirk Morrison, and Lauren Sisler.

Very worried about our defense today. They have not played well since JGH was injured. I'm afraid we will need to score a ton of points to make this a competitive game. Go Devils!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Looks like the rain has moved out. I hope the field is in good shape.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I fully expect him to play, but given the nature of football, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

This is the update from ESPN on Daniel's draft status:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel Jones, Duke

Year: Fourth-year junior | Ht/Wt: 6-foot-5, 220 | Career starts: 35

Total QBR: 68.0 (42nd in FBS) | Full stats

Who he is and where he ranks

Keep an eye on quarterback whisperer David Cutcliffe's latest project, who could be the biggest beneficiary of Herbert's staying in school. The Duke coach has raved about Jones, a three-year starter who took a big step forward in 2018. His career numbers don't scream first-rounder -- 47 touchdown passes and 27 interceptions, while completing 59.5 percent of his passes, with a QBR of 60.7 -- but Jones didn't play with high-end talent. He's a dual-threat signal-caller. Jones rushed for 186 yards (and threw for 361) in the Blue Devils' win over rival North Carolina. Need proof of his toughness? Jones broke the collarbone in his left, non-throwing arm in September and missed only two games. If he chooses to forgo his final season of eligibility, Jones is expected to be in the mix to be the top QB off the board.

He said some time ago he'd play.
    As much as I like Jones, I just don't see him that high in the draft ...I guess we'll see.

Is there a place to stream the radio broadcast other than goduke?

The TuneIn Radio app might have it.

-jk

DBR Chat is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He said some time ago he'd play.
    As much as I like Jones, I just don't see him that high in the draft ...I guess we'll see.
    Dittos to all that ^^^^ - but I think he'll go now that Herbert at Oregon is not going. From a football standpoint, I think he'd develop more next year in college than carrying a clipboard in the NFL. From a financial standpoint, he may not have a choice but to go.

JUST HEARD Kiper has him second behind OSUs QB. I can't believe he's ahead of Grier and Lock, but I guess he is.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 12-27-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Dittos to all that ^^^^ - but I think he'll go now that Herbert at Oregon is not going. From a football standpoint, I think he'd develop more next year in college than carrying a clipboard in the NFL. From a financial standpoint, he may not have a choice but to go.

JUST HEARD Kiper has him second behind OSUs QB. I can't believe he's ahead of Grier and Lock, but I guess he is.
    Counterpoint: he will start his career one year earlier, and seems unlikely to rise above the second best QB prospect next year. Add to that the chance of career ending or altering injury, and I would be sort of surprised if he doesn't go.

Two other points - I find it baffling that he is rated so high, but I suspect others know better than I do. Also, I would bet that a year on an NFL roster "holding a clipboard" would lead to much, much more development than a year in most college programs.

Regardless, I hope he has a great game today.

Well, this is a decent start to the game... gotta punch it in here.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Counterpoint: he will start his career one year earlier, and seems unlikely to rise above the second best QB prospect next year. Add to that the chance of career ending or altering injury, and I would be sort of surprised if he doesn't go.

Two other points - I find it baffling that he is rated so high, but I suspect others know better than I do. Also, I would bet that a year on an NFL roster "holding a clipboard" would lead to much, much more development than a year in most college programs.

Regardless, I hope he has a great game today.
    I agree with you on everything except the "holding a clipboard" part. Backups in the NFL do not get a lot of practice reps. Starters in college get a lot of practice reps and game reps. If you think you have significant improvement to make to be an NFL contributor you are better off staying in college. Going to the NFL too early might mean you're out of the league before you have the chance to improve enough to hang around. If you are "NFL ready" then entering the draft seems like the practical thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Backups in the NFL do not get a lot of practice reps. Starters in college get a lot of practice reps and game reps. If you think you have significant improvement to make to be an NFL contributor you are better off staying in college. Going to the NFL too early might mean you're out of the league before you have the chance to improve enough to hang around. If you are "NFL ready" then entering the draft seems like the practical thing to do.
    Thank you for explaining that....Mtn Devil and I are in truce mode...but what you said needed to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    With Howard coming back, the 2020 NFL draft is going to be loaded with QBs. If Jones goes now, he has a shot at being a late first or 2nd round pick. If he waits a year, he goes behind Tua, Howard, Jake Fromme, Shae Patterson, and perhaps Jacob Eason (formerly GA, now Washington).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    He's been practicing with the team and making preparations to play today.
    Too bad neither Humphries nor Giles-Harris playing today. Guess they’re not taking chances on reinjuring their knees prior to draft camps.

Jones with an ankle, hopefully he comes back in.

Uh oh... DJ is hurt. But Quentin Harris just completed a pass, so we got that going for us!

Any word on DJ?

Pick 6... ouch.

..and another interception.

Turnovers.