Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I really hope this is a Pace Picante Sauce reference.
    I lived in Louisiana for four years and Tabasco sauce should only come from Avery Island, LA...all other sources are poor substitutes.

To make this relevant...the ACC is a southern conference and the headquarters should be in the south. If you don't like that join the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I lived in Louisiana for four years and Tabasco sauce should only come from Avery Island, LA...all other sources are poor substitutes.

To make this relevant...the ACC is a southern conference and the headquarters should be in the south. If you don't like that join the Big East.
    Agree. If they can’t spit and hit a good pulled pork spot, they’ve made the wrong decision.

When I was growing up in NC, Greensboro was clearly the second biggest city in NC, not far behind Charlotte. The Triad was a bigger deal than the pipsqueak Triangle. Poor Greensboro has really fallen on hard times.

I predict, in order: Charlotte, Atlanta, NYC, DC

Anywhere but Greensboro.

As an Atlantan I obviously would like to see HQ here because I believe more events would follow, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Charlotte or DC. I have not bothered to check, but I'm pretty sure those airports have flights to most ACC cities.

I'm surprised that one aspect has not been addressed. At least in my opinion one of the biggest considerations is football. What can the league do to increase its visibility and marketability with regard to it's biggest cash cow? Some of you (most?) might be more aware of the machinations, but with the possibility of breaking away from the NCAA in the future, how does the HQ positioning effect the standing of the conference.

One last note. The relocation of corporations to warmer locations has been going on for years, so maybe that is a strike against New York and DC.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    When I was growing up in NC, Greensboro was clearly the second biggest city in NC, not far behind Charlotte. The Triad was a bigger deal than the pipsqueak Triangle. Poor Greensboro has really fallen on hard times.

I predict, in order: Charlotte, Atlanta, NYC, DC

Anywhere but Greensboro.
    Yeah, this is setting up for Charlotte IMO. The proximity to a major airport is an indicator.

ESPN and the ACC Network have major operations in Charlotte.

I have some concern that going away from the roots of the ACC is not all positive -- NASCAR for example suffered some decline when it left many of its events held in North and South Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I have some concern that going away from the roots of the ACC is not all positive -- NASCAR for example suffered some decline when it left many of its events held in North and South Carolina.
    That ship sailed when we added BC, Syracuse, Pitt and Miami*.

*note: I consider adding of VT to be a good thing in line with the ACC roots. Mid-Atlantic team with natural rival that is a public land grant research university (State, GT, Clemson). Most importantly, hates public liberal arts universities of UNC and UVa.

Here is the kicker in any decision to move, as long as the real estate folks and the green eye-shade types are involved:
    Financial considerations related to operational expenses (AKA tax breaks)
    Every business move tries to get competing cities to bid against each other. I believe the favorites would be (alphabetical order): Atlanta, Charlotte, New York, Washington. I wouldn't rule out Greensboro, in that they will fight tooth-and-nail to retain the ACC. Then there could be three Florida sites in the running -=- Miami, Orlando and Tampa.

Because the number of jobs seems to be around 45 -- relatively small, this is more a prestige thing than an economic deal for the cities.

Except for Greensboro, I don't know which city would value the ACC most, and in the case of Washington DC it might be one of the suburban jurisdictions -- Montgomery Co., Md.; Arlington and Fairfax Co., Va. or the city of Alexandria.

"Isn't this like blackmail," you might think. I dunno, but I have been involved in a couple of fairly large corporate moves. In one, we said we would like to move our HQ and the bulk of our operations to Fairfax County., Va. from Arlington County -- because of greater availability of space and the resident locations of our employees. "No," said the broker, "You will run an auction, and you will consider Montgomery Co., Md." Thereby involving the two richest DC suburbs. Sure enough, we got generous offers from both -- primarily in tax rebatements, as I recall -- and selected Fairfax. Therefore, we saved money on the move, and the winning county got a bunch more high-paying jobs.

Then there is also the issue of employee preferences. Surely there will be resistance to moves by the veterans at the ACC, but the younger professionals might prefer a richer and more varied job market -- and better social and cultural activities. I don't know how that would work out.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 10-28-2021 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added thoughts
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New York City?
    Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I really hope this is a Pace Picante Sauce reference.
    Get a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    As an Atlantan I obviously would like to see HQ here because I believe more events would follow, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Charlotte or DC. I have not bothered to check, but I'm pretty sure those airports have flights to most ACC cities.

I'm surprised that one aspect has not been addressed. At least in my opinion one of the biggest considerations is football. What can the league do to increase its visibility and marketability with regard to it's biggest cash cow? Some of you (most?) might be more aware of the machinations, but with the possibility of breaking away from the NCAA in the future, how does the HQ positioning effect the standing of the conference.

One last note. The relocation of corporations to warmer locations has been going on for years, so maybe that is a strike against New York and DC.
    So the ACC should move their headquarters to Birmingham, AL?

HQ must be within two miles of a Waffle House.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    That would be for Jimmy B's benefit?

Harder to find a spot that isn't...

So, I guess that means Ashtabula Ohio is in the running?

Link: Northernmost Waffle House

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Get a rope.
    That was probably the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here is the kicker in any decision to move, as long as the real estate folks and the green eye-shade types are involved:

Every business move tries to get competing cities to bid against each other. I believe the favorites would be (alphabetical order): Atlanta, Charlotte, New York, Washington. I wouldn't rule out Greensboro, in that they will fight tooth-and-nail to retain the ACC. Then there could be three Florida sites in the running -=- Miami, Orlando and Tampa.

Because the number of jobs seems to be around 45 -- relatively small, this is more a prestige thing than an economic deal for the cities.

Except for Greensboro, I don't know which city would value the ACC most, and in the case of Washington DC it might be one of the suburban jurisdictions -- Montgomery Co., Md.; Arlington and Fairfax Co., Va. or the city of Alexandria.

"Isn't this like blackmail," you might think. I dunno, but I have been involved in a couple of fairly large corporate moves. In one, we said we would like to move our HQ and the bulk of our operations to Fairfax County., Va. from Arlington County -- because of greater availability of space and the resident locations of our employees. "No," said the broker, "You will run an auction, and you will consider Montgomery Co., Md." Thereby involving the two richest DC suburbs. Sure enough, we got generous offers from both -- primarily in tax rebatements, as I recall -- and selected Fairfax. Therefore, we saved money on the move, and the winning county got a bunch more high-paying jobs.

Then there is also the issue of employee preferences. Surely there will be resistance to moves by the veterans at the ACC, but the younger professionals might prefer a richer and more varied job market -- and better social and cultural activities. I don't know how that would work out.
    If one assumes equal economic bribes offered by all cities/states, is there a tax-savings factor here?

I presume most of all of the money the ACC receives just washes through to the member schools without taxation on the state or local level, but don't know.

I presume the only state/local tax question is the personal taxation of the individuals working in the ACC HQ. Is that right? If they voted with just their wallets, they might prefer Florida, but that's so far to the edge of the conference that I can't see it happening.

I am aware of no other state that has no state income tax but has an ACC team.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadingEdge View Post
    If one assumes equal economic bribes offered by all cities/states, is there a tax-savings factor here?

I presume most of all of the money the ACC receives just washes through to the member schools without taxation on the state or local level, but don't know.

I presume the only state/local tax question is the personal taxation of the individuals working in the ACC HQ. Is that right? If they voted with just their wallets, they might prefer Florida, but that's so far to the edge of the conference that I can't see it happening.

I am aware of no other state that has no state income tax but has an ACC team.
    What about property taxes (serious question, not a gotcha, I have no idea)?

I would locate the new HQ as close to College Park, MD as possible..

So the ACC should move their headquarters to Birmingham, AL?
    Huh? If you're joking I missed the humor, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Huh? If you're joking I missed the humor, sorry
    The SEC headquarters is in Birmingham. So if we want to focus on football……😀

Does it matter where the ACC HQs move to nearly as much as who is running the league?

Not saying the Dr. Phillips can't be a fantastic ACC Commissioner, but he came in pretty unfamiliar with the league(few year stint at UND in the early 2000s), vs. SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey's having been the league's associate commissioner for 13 years before his promotion 6 years ago.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K