Page 1336 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 3368361236128613261334133513361337133813461386143618362336 ... LastLast
Results 26,701 to 26,720 of 67375
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    A cloudy day has an spf somewhere in the low single digits. (And I use spf 30 and up...)

-jk
    I am still stuck on my thinking as a teenager living in AZ when I never burned because I was outside all the time starting early in the year. Last weekend, I slathered on the SPF 30 because it was sunny outside. Need to not be lazy going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I've gotten some of my best sunburns on cloudy days.

Thankfully, this one is just a mild discomfort and not a full lobster situation.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Thankfully, this one is just a mild discomfort and not a full lobster situation.
    I think I killed the nerve endings in my skin after all my childhood sunburns. Worst one was from Hawaii and then having a long flight to Tokyo. The sunburn gave me chills and the PanAm blankets were wool. Not a fun 8 hours.

I think I killed the nerve endings in my skin after all my childhood sunburns. Worst one was from Hawaii and then having a long flight to Tokyo. The sunburn gave me chills and the PanAm blankets were wool. Not a fun 8 hours.
    Ouch!!!!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Ouch! That sounds terrible.

Worst sunburn I ever got was on my scalp where I parted my hair. We didn't call it sunscreen back then, we called it suntan lotion, but I put the stuff on when I was going to be outside all day. Didn't put any in my hair though. Learned the value of wearing a sun hat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    And most people have no idea what the law of averages actually says.
    The law of averages is not just a good idea. It's the law!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    The law of averages is not just a good idea. It's the law!
    But it’s not mean.

Ouch! That sounds terrible.

Worst sunburn I ever got was on my scalp where I parted my hair. We didn't call it sunscreen back then, we called it suntan lotion, but I put the stuff on when I was going to be outside all day. Didn't put any in my hair though. Learned the value of wearing a sun hat!
    Myrtle Beach for the pre-Duke graduation bacchanal. Lord have mercy, that was the dumbest thing I have ever done. Absolutely fried the back of my legs. Yikes, the memory of it still frightens me.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Myrtle Beach for the pre-Duke graduation bacchanal. Lord have mercy, that was the dumbest thing I have ever done. Absolutely fried the back of my legs. Yikes, the memory of it still frightens me.
    We Southerners at Duke used to tell this joke to each other - How can you tell who the yankees are? They're the ones with tans.

I mean, really, the thermometer would hit 60 degrees and the crazy Northerners would be laying out in Wallace Wade. What!?! I have always maintained a healthy respect for the sun. I ain't a mad dog or an Englishman either. I got my scalp sunburn at cheerleading camp the summer between my junior and senior years in high school.

But, I loved those Myrtle Beach Days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oltJ3O9TwgE

I get many more sunburns on the top of my scalp than I did ten years ago. I blame global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I get many more sunburns on the top of my scalp than I did ten years ago. I blame global warming.
    That's your story and you should stick with it.

And they make belts smaller than they did back in the day. Don’t get me started.

Totally.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Huh. Weird. I've only ever had the one.

Changing the topic, the Classics scholar went ahead and submitted transfer applications to several schools that will allow him to study archaeology and Mayan languages too. Duke is one of them. I was able to request transcripts from his high school for him back in February. All the schools got them except for Duke. I think Duke just misplaced it. And we can't go ask them to send it again cause the high school is closed. Luckily Duke will consider his application without it, but, c'mon, how are they the only one? Grrr.

The military lost my paperwork on multiple occasions.

Insomniacs untie!

The worst sunburn I ever saw was on my teenage brother in the early 60’s. Remember sunlamps? He rigged one up over his bed, and anticipated staying under it for a brief period to start a tan before a beach trip. Unfortunately, he fell asleep for hours. I had never seen a PURPLE sunburn before, and haven’t since then. Doctor visits and many days of misery for my brother ensued. (My father smashed the sunlamp.)

I was a little late for the sun lamp craze, but purple skin does not sound good at all.

...I got my scalp sunburn at cheerleading camp...
    Come on now BD, give me a D!!

Hey, I should dust off the old jr. high school baton and twirl while you cheer! Yep, weezie was a majorette. A very tall, gawky and pretty awful majorette.

Time for the rest of you to confess your dorkiest talents!

Ready, begin...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'