Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    6-6, but on a 3-game winning streak.
    I'd trade all 6 of those wins for 2 of the losses,

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    I'd trade all 6 of those wins for 2 of the losses,
    After the unexpected loss to a very not good basketball team, this seems like a "must win" if Duke wants to win the outright ACC for the first time since 2006. It's also vitally important to get the 1-seed in this year's ACCT, as there will be a significant drop-off in quality of opponent between the 3 seed and the 4 seed this year.

About as big a game as you'll ever see in January. Glad it's at home. I know the boys will come out with energy, so I'm not too worried about Louisville's "revenge factor". I am, however, extra worried about who will guard Nwora.

I would be surprised, and disappointed, if we saw more than 3 minutes of Alex O'Connell.

Glad this one's at home. I think we'll be ready to play this one, Nwora is really the only player the 'Ville has that worries me.Who will guard him? Jack,or Matt? Or both? Hopefully even if Nwora gets his points, we can shut down the rest of them.This is an important game as so many posters have talked about. Really need to get this win. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    After the unexpected loss to a very not good basketball team, this seems like a "must win" if Duke wants to win the outright ACC for the first time since 2006. It's also vitally important to get the 1-seed in this year's ACCT, as there will be a significant drop-off in quality of opponent between the 3 seed and the 4 seed this year.

About as big a game as you'll ever see in January. Glad it's at home. I know the boys will come out with energy, so I'm not too worried about Louisville's "revenge factor". I am, however, extra worried about who will guard Nwora.

I would be surprised, and disappointed, if we saw more than 3 minutes of Alex O'Connell.
    I expect if Alex gets many minutes he would have been really good in practice since the Clemson game. I don't know if Duke had enough practice sessions for that to happen. I hope he plays well in the minutes he does get.
    GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    For anyone wanting the condensed version of the comeback, here ya go. I have to confess that I had given up on the game when we went down 20. I hoped that the rest of the game could provide a learning experience and just wanted the team to show some fight and not give up. Then we just kept turning them over and crept closer and closer back into it.

so much fun! One thing to note: everybody talks about RJ's between the legs no look pass to Cam for the game tying 3, which was amazing. However, at at about 4:30 of game time remaining RJ had a similarly cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce (h/t Beastie Boys) pass for a score. It was a behind the back no look pass on the left side, which if he had f'd it up, might have cost the team momentum and the comeback. Fortunately the pass was completed and the momentum kept building, but it was a stone-cold play to make at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Jordan Goldwire's energy and defense played a big part in that victory. GoDuke!
    Cam Reddish was very, very good in this one, as well, at least during the comeback. We looked pretty bad digging the hole.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    This feels like a matchup problem for us. Their bigs are good, and Vernon has to stay out of foul trouble. Jack guarding Nwora seems to make the most sense. Looking for big games from Tre and Cassius, with the latter hopefully containing Sutton.

Worried about this one, but glad we’re at home. Expect to see a good amount of press. Go Duke!
    Because Louisville plays a traditional lineup including a traditional center as opposed to the small / quick looks that Clemson, SFA, and VaTech (1st half before Duke went small) could throw at us, I think the matchup is at least neutral.

It's a good or favorable matchup for Duke if Joey Baker can play; otherwise, it's neutral. Joey is key because Louisville plays an excellent packline defense, and the only remedy in halfcourt offense is likely to shoot well from outside. (Obviously, our defense could force turnovers leading to transition buckets that avoid halfcourt offense; their PGs could be vulnerable to Tre and JGold's pressure).

Finally, it would've been a GREAT matchup for Duke if Wendell could play so Duke could throw both Wendell and Jack at Nwora. As is, Jack has to come up big defensively and/or we receive a surprising source of good defense on Nwora to make up for Wendell's absence.

To summarize Degenerate-ly, lay the points with Duke if Joey plays. Otherwise, pass.

We got a bit lucky in that comeback too, when Zion produced an oil slick by diving on the floor and then the Louisville guard subsequently slipped on it and the ball when right into Tre’s hands. But man, talk about an intimidating full court press. Louisville’s players were all afraid to dribble the ball, nobody wanted it in their hands.

I expect us to use the press again tomorrow, but hopefully we won’t need to rely on it for a whole half to come back like last year and also in this recent Clemson game. I think mixing it in spurts is more effective. Also, what made that press so devastating last season is that Zion could cover the entire back half of the court by himself, letting the four guards pressure the ball and the outlets. We don’t have anybody who can play that role this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    To summarize Degenerate-ly, lay the points with Duke if Joey plays. Otherwise, pass.
    The "Boot" thread (with a link to Steve Wiseman's article in the N&O today) says JBake is gonna play. So degenerate away . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

And, if any folks are inclined (or seated upright) to join us as thedukelamere kindly and graciously hosts the monthly/January edition of Ymm, Beer's Virtual Pub tomorrow, starting at 1100 east coast time, and imbibe in a (any type of) barrel-aged beer/ale or three, drop by and let us know what you're sipping and how it tasted. I think we'll be open until the last guest is served or he throws all our @#$&^'s out into the gutter.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

According to game notes, Duke will be honoring the 2010 National Champions on Saturday. Coaches Scheyer and Smith are usually there, but expect to see Kyle Singler, Lance Thomas, and Brian Zoubek.

Duke is definitely going to be in a battle. Duke has the pieces but Duke is not a team loaded with stud athletes.

Popping in because I just heard today that when Matt Hurt was a HS freshman, Rick Pitino (perhaps not entirely soberly) predicted he'd be the "best white boy college player since Christian Laettner." Let's hope his prediction comes true, and also that Hurt haunts his former team tomorrow. I think there's a good chance he could break out tomorrow, it seems like another game where big interior defenders could muzzle Vern, and I think we're going to have some open shots from outside. We'll definitely need him.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    According to game notes, Duke will be honoring the 2010 National Champions on Saturday. Coaches Scheyer and Smith are usually there, but expect to see Kyle Singler, Lance Thomas, and Brian Zoubek.
    What are the odds that Lance comes completely decked out in Uncut Gems...0.01%?

Duke opens as a 7 point favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Duke opens as a 7 point favorite
    Its at home so that is an advantage, but our weakness showed in the last game and a well coached team can exploit that. I think it should be looked at as an even contest in which our guys need to come out ready and give it 40 hard minutes. Defense needs to be stressed, foul shots made and turnovers minimized.

In regard to defending Nwora, ball denial is a possible strategy. Nwora cannot score if he doesn’t have the ball so instead of focusing on guarding him, focus on denying him the ball. Tre Jones and Jordan Goldwire would have to put the clamps on the Cardinals’ primary ball handlers.

An alternate strategy would be to defend Nwora straight up, allow him to get his 30 while preventing the other four players on the court from contributing.

I favor the former approach.
    Bob Green

Anyone think Javin might be able to guard Nwora?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Anyone think Javin might be able to guard Nwora?
    Absolutely can. How many minutes he's able to do so before fouling out is the $1M question

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And, if any folks are inclined (or seated upright) to join us as thedukelamere kindly and graciously hosts the monthly/January edition of Ymm, Beer's Virtual Pub tomorrow, starting at 1100 east coast time, and imbibe in a (any type of) barrel-aged beer/ale or three, drop by and let us know what you're sipping and how it tasted. I think we'll be open until the last guest is served or he throws all our @#$&^'s out into the gutter.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...?3840-Ymm-Beer
    Just to echo devildeac; if you are watching GameDay/Capel and the Gang with a beer in your hand, come join us in the Ymm, Beer thread today. We'll be prepping all day for the Cards like an undergrad in their first tenting season.