Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Didn’t see the full game but what are folks excited about that they saw from Baker? 2-5 from the three is not bad but is there more to it?

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Didn’t see the full game but what are folks excited about that they saw from Baker? 2-5 from the three is not bad but is there more to it?
    Well, the way the team has shot threes last season and the small sample size of this one, 2-5 looks pretty decent by comparison.

We have more shooters this year that can go off.

AOC
    Baker
    Tre
    Hurt
    Cassius

Maybe Jack and Carey too!

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post

AOC
    Baker
    Tre
    Hurt
    Cassius

Mostly off tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    He had two of them in a pretty compressed time frame that helped Duke develop a margin. Big momentum building shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    pitchforks to ACCN for pre-emptying the first half in order to show volleyball. Sure they moved Duke to ESPNNews, but that doesn’t help when you can’t get home until halftime and have ACCN recording. What a bush-league move.
    two losing teams playing in front of maybe 30 fans, LOL, just an insane choice.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post

AOC
    Baker
    Tre
    Hurt
    Cassius

Too bad Joey Donuts didn't go off last year during his mini appearance...he obviously has a nice stroke.

Reading the coaches and players re the game, it confirmed my suspicion that they also thought GA St played harder than Duke. The final margin was only 11, but Duke really gave up in the last minute and a half, giving up consecutive turnovers and transition buckets. It would have taken a confluence of Jason Williams proportions to lose in that situation, but Duke sure seemed as willing as possible to make that happen. Fortunately, GA St just ran out of time.

To give some context to Duke96's question: Jack White and AOC were shooting so poorly (as was everyone not named Tre) from the wing that K wanted for someone to show they could hit a shot, and Joey did. He set a career high in pts too. Maybe this will be the type of game that Joey builds on and starts earning more time. Something you won't get from the stat sheet: Joey hit a bucket (i believe) and on the ensuing defensive possession did the trademark Duke floor slap. And got blown by off the dribble, but help defense corralled the dribbler who ended up passing back out to 3pt line from the paint, which got picked off by Duke for a fast-break steal. So Joey's enthusiasm helped spark a bit of defensive mojo for the team, even if he personally got smoked.

Duke now shooting 30.4% from 3, essentially identical to last year. Duke out-offensive rebounded GA St 30-8, but tied in turns at 17. Duke got a grand total of 2 points from our 3 upperclassmen, although they grabbed 18 rebounds with 5 assists. Javin collected fouls like Pokemon, he had to catch em all! with 4 fouls in 6 minutes, for an incendiary foul rate of 27 per 40 minutes!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Like many color commentators, he doesn't realize that the broadcast would be far better if he cut back by a third to a half. It's the Jimmy Dykes syndrome.
    Or Jay Bilas

pitchforks to ACCN for pre-emptying the first half in order to show volleyball. Sure they moved Duke to ESPNNews, but that doesn’t help when you can’t get home until halftime and have ACCN recording. What a bush-league move.
    Yep, I was out at dinner until 8:00 PM and had recorded the game so I missed the first half too due to volleyball. I checked and saw that the game was being rebroadcast at 11:30 PM and Saturday at 7:30 AM so I re-recorced the 11:30 telecast. Upon review I note that the rebroadcast cuts off the vball when the basketball game starts.

I haven't had time yet to watch the first half. Other than Javin's impressive foul outburst is there a reason to?

Georgia State played hard throughout the game, Duke not so much. GA State was well coached and will beat some good teams this season. Coach K said the team did not play match their hard work in the first half but did so in the second half.

Tre Jones gave us a glimpse of just how good he can be last night. Jack White gave another workmen like performance, Joey hit two big threes that helped extend the lead when the game was still in doubt. If you go by minutes, Jack was the 5th starter and Joey was the 6th man. I know it's not who starts but who gets the minutes. Well from what I saw, they deserved those minutes. Vernon with a 20-14 was our second best player. I just wish he could go to his right like he does to the left.

On the not so positive side, Javin with 4 fouls in the first half was as bad as it gets and he added to that with some uninspiring inside play on offense. He only saw 6 minutes. Cassius was due for a bad shooting night and he did not disappoint.(2-12) but he played good defense and rebounded well. Hurt and Alex were a combined 2-10 from the field but Matthew played a good overall game. He's pretty good on help defense for a freshman. Goldwire in 11 minutes had 1 rebound and 1 assist. Moore in 11 minutes had 2 points(1-5), 4 rebounds, and 2 turnovers. I'm hoping Wendell begins to hit some shots because he looks like he could really help the team when he becomes an offensive threat. He has a good handle and appears to be a strong young man.

Glad we escaped with a win and didn't fall into the same trap that Kentucky did. Duke is in line to be #1 in most polls come Monday but I don't think we are(yet).

GoDuke!

Yeah my guide on Hulu was all screwed up.

It said Duke vs Georgia St. but was showing NC State vs Miami volley ball.

I heard UNC was struggling with Gardner Webb so I tried to tune back in for that. My guide said the UNC game didn't come on until 10pm, but it was half-time.

I had both of them set to record even though I was home. Went back to see what actually recorded and it was mostly volleyball. Glad it wasn't a huge game had I needed the recordings.

Also, Jesus Christ with the commercials on that channel.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Georgia State played hard throughout the game, Duke not so much. GA State was well coached and will beat some good teams this season. Coach K said the team did not play match their hard work in the first half but did so in the second half.

Tre Jones gave us a glimpse of just how good he can be last night. Jack White gave another workmen like performance, Joey hit two big threes that helped extend the lead when the game was still in doubt. If you go by minutes, Jack was the 5th starter and Joey was the 6th man. I know it's not who starts but who gets the minutes. Well from what I saw, they deserved those minutes. Vernon with a 20-14 was our second best player. I just wish he could go to his right like he does to the left.

On the not so positive side, Javin with 4 fouls in the first half was as bad as it gets and he added to that with some uninspiring inside play on offense. He only saw 6 minutes. Cassius was due for a bad shooting night and he did not disappoint.(2-12) but he played good defense and rebounded well. Hurt and Alex were a combined 2-10 from the field but Matthew played a good overall game. He's pretty good on help defense for a freshman. Goldwire in 11 minutes had 1 rebound and 1 assist. Moore in 11 minutes had 2 points(1-5), 4 rebounds, and 2 turnovers. I'm hoping Wendell begins to hit some shots because he looks like he could really help the team when he becomes an offensive threat. He has a good handle and appears to be a strong young man.

Glad we escaped with a win and didn't fall into the same trap that Kentucky did. Duke is in line to be #1 in most polls come Monday but I don't think we are(yet).

GoDuke!
    Didn’t get to watch the game, was forced to go see Ford Vs Ferrari😀. 4 fouls in 6 minutes is impressive- did Javin do that in 6 consecutive minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Yep, I was out at dinner until 8:00 PM and had recorded the game so I missed the first half too due to volleyball. I checked and saw that the game was being rebroadcast at 11:30 PM and Saturday at 7:30 AM so I re-recorced the 11:30 telecast. Upon review I note that the rebroadcast cuts off the vball when the basketball game starts.

I haven't had time yet to watch the first half. Other than Javin's impressive foul outburst is there a reason to?
    I'm really beginning to hate the ACC Network. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Didn’t get to watch the game, was forced to go see Ford Vs Ferrari😀. 4 fouls in 6 minutes is impressive- did Javin do that in 6 consecutive minutes?
    note: javin racked up those 4 fouls in 2 first half minutes. he played 4 in the second half foul free.
    April 1

This game didn’t instill a lot of faith that we will know what to do once teams start gameplanning better. Ga St did three things to really disrupt us: really packed things in against us in the halfcourt, really overplayed Jones whenever he didn’t have the ball, and attacked everyone’s dribble as soon as we crossed the 3pt line. It really illustrated some of the team’s limitations. Basically, aside from Jones, nobody is strong off the dribble against any sort of aggressive D. Stanley and O’Connell have the potential to do it, but they definitely struggled with it last night. And nobody else looked even competent at it. And we couldn’t shoot (not surprising of course).

Fortunately the defense was still very stout, and created enough transition baskets to provide the cushion. And we were able to hit enough shots to get the W.

Jones was absolutely fantastic. What a great start to the year he is having. He has really stepped up his aggressiveness offensively, yet so far it hasn’t cost him on defense. He is playing like a 1st Team All American. Let’s hope he stays healthy, because we can’t replace him and the team doesn’t have enough elsewhere to go a different route.

Carey once again looked dominant when he got it inside. His 20 and 14 are what you like to see, and it could easily have been 24 and 14 if he hadn’t missed those two dunks. Considering how they double and triple teamed him in the paint, it was an impressive performance.

Unfortunately, the other three guys capable of creating their own offense really struggled. O’Connell, Stanley, and Hurt were a combined 4-22 from the field. They all seemed to really struggle with Ga St’s quickness and aggressiveness. Given how limited the bench is offensively, having those three struggle so much will be problematic.

White did his usual Jack White things with hustle and toughness. But his shooting stroke and lack of confidence whenever he got the ball helped allow GSU to get away with overplaying others. Not saying I don’t want him on the floor for his other attributes, but I can see that being a problem against better teams moving forward. Especially if that is compounded by sharing the floor with Goldwire. When they both are in, it is likely going to be ugly basketball.

Wendell Moore had sort of the opposite problem as White in that he was at times too aggressive with the ball and driving into trouble. He has a lot of potential, but the game is moving too fast for him right now.

Baker showed a microcosm of his good and bad. He hit two open three and a step-in jumper. So the shooting touch was on display. But he got lost on defense and provided nothing else. He is almost the exact inverse of White: where White contributes all the little things but can’t shoot, Baker can shoot but doesn’t seem to do anything else. If you could meld them into one player, you would have a superstar. Alas...

Rough night for DeLaurier, but this was bound to be a bad matchup for him.

Goldwire continued his trend of struggling offensively and struggling with half-court defense. He is really feeling like a niche player at this point: bring him in to give Jones brief rests or when you need a frenetic full-court press. But in the halfcourt, he seems problematic.

Overall, I was thrilled with Jones and Carey. I am hopeful that this was one of those “progress is not linear” games for the other three starters. And mostly just happy we gutted out a win when we didn’t have our Agame going.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    This game didn’t instill a lot of faith that we will know what to do once teams start gameplanning better. Ga St did three things to really disrupt us: really packed things in against us in the halfcourt, really overplayed Jones whenever he didn’t have the ball, and attacked everyone’s dribble as soon as we crossed the 3pt line. It really illustrated some of the team’s limitations. Basically, aside from Jones, nobody is strong off the dribble against any sort of aggressive D. Stanley and O’Connell have the potential to do it, but they definitely struggled with it last night. And nobody else looked even competent at it. And we couldn’t shoot (not surprising of course).

Fortunately the defense was still very stout, and created enough transition baskets to provide the cushion. And we were able to hit enough shots to get the W.

Jones was absolutely fantastic. What a great start to the year he is having. He has really stepped up his aggressiveness offensively, yet so far it hasn’t cost him on defense. He is playing like a 1st Team All American. Let’s hope he stays healthy, because we can’t replace him and the team doesn’t have enough elsewhere to go a different route.

Carey once again looked dominant when he got it inside. His 20 and 14 are what you like to see, and it could easily have been 24 and 14 if he hadn’t missed those two dunks. Considering how they double and triple teamed him in the paint, it was an impressive performance.

Unfortunately, the other three guys capable of creating their own offense really struggled. O’Connell, Stanley, and Hurt were a combined 4-22 from the field. They all seemed to really struggle with Ga St’s quickness and aggressiveness. Given how limited the bench is offensively, having those three struggle so much will be problematic.

White did his usual Jack White things with hustle and toughness. But his shooting stroke and lack of confidence whenever he got the ball helped allow GSU to get away with overplaying others. Not saying I don’t want him on the floor for his other attributes, but I can see that being a problem against better teams moving forward. Especially if that is compounded by sharing the floor with Goldwire. When they both are in, it is likely going to be ugly basketball.

Wendell Moore had sort of the opposite problem as White in that he was at times too aggressive with the ball and driving into trouble. He has a lot of potential, but the game is moving too fast for him right now.

Baker showed a microcosm of his good and bad. He hit two open three and a step-in jumper. So the shooting touch was on display. But he got lost on defense and provided nothing else. He is almost the exact inverse of White: where White contributes all the little things but can’t shoot, Baker can shoot but doesn’t seem to do anything else. If you could meld them into one player, you would have a superstar. Alas...

Goldwire continued his trend of struggling offensively and struggling with half-court defense. He is really feeling like a niche player at this point: bring him in to give Jones brief rests or when you need a frenetic full-court press. But in the halfcourt, he seems problematic.

Overall, I was thrilled with Jones and Carey. I am hopeful that this was one of those “progress is not linear” games for the other three starters. And mostly just happy we gutted out a win when we didn’t have our Agame going.
    Good post that I agree with on all points. I will just add, if we have Jack, Goldwire and Javin on the court at the same time, we're in deep deep do-do. I thought Jack did a great job on the inside when Javin tried to set the record for most fouls per minute. Jack was able to give Carey needed rest. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Great analysis as always, CDU.

In his press conference, Coach K praised 4 players. Tre and Vernon, obviously. And Joey for his two 3s at such an opportune time. He also praised Jack - said he gave us toughness out there, which we needed.

I also thought it was very interesting (and probably smart) that Ga St. switched back and forth between zone and man to man defense, depending on who we had on the floor. (Corey Alexander said they went zone if O’Connell and Hurt were out, but I’m not sure if that was exactly right) We really struggled in the first half when they went zone. I hope this team can figure out our shooting woes, because we may see a lot of zone this year.

Positives: Tre Jones and Vernon Carey were fantastic tonight I thought.Baker played some good minutes and defense really picked it up 2nd half.
    Not so positives: Javin played like his freshman year and Moore seemed to take about 3 steps back. Not much offense from every one not named Jones and Carey. O'Connell dis-appeared and Stanley seemed off as well. Glad this team is making their identity on the defensive side. At least Jones showed he can offensively take over a game. I really hope Jones stays healthy because we need him to play as many minutes as he possibly can.

A good learning experience to hopefully keep this team hungry and a little humble as they are elevated to #1.

My favorite attribute of this team is that no one takes a single play off on defense. Tre is always giving maximum effort because that's who he is. And if anyone else is not giving maximum effort, they know they take a seat for the next guy.

It really is a throwback to the early Coach K Duke teams in the 80s and 90s that led me to love Duke basketball. Unlike great offense, great defense can show up every single night.