Page 1015 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1551591596510051013101410151016101710251065111515152015 ... LastLast
Results 20,281 to 20,300 of 67394
    I am utterly exhausted. Whew, another fierce game.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That song was stuck in my head for too much of the day...
    And yet here you are, still. Go figure...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And yet here you are, still. Go figure...

-jk
    Well, we are trying to hit a goal...

A cat has adopted our back yard.

The 'Hotel California' discussion upthread got me thinking.

Next summer, my wife and I are planning a major cross-country road trip to see a bunch of America's iconic National Parks and also to cross off a bunch of states. We'll be heading up through the midwest to Glacier NP, then down to the Grand Canyon, then home. We're starting our brainstorm for a state-related playlist, and need suggestions for any and all of the following states:

• Kansas
    • Nebraska
    • Iowa
    • Michigan
    • Wisconsin
    • Minnesota
    • North Dakota
    • South Dakota
    • Wyoming
    • Montana
    • Idaho
    • Utah
    • Arizona
    • New Mexico
    • Texas
    • Oklahoma
    • Arkansas

Go.

New Mexico, Montana and Wyoming may be the coolest places I have been in the continental 48. Will add more later.

I know there is a thread on NM on the off-topic board when I asked for advice years ago (probably search “Albuquerque”)

Yellowstone will change your world.

I’ve got one state left to go, Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The 'Hotel California' discussion upthread got me thinking.

Next summer, my wife and I are planning a major cross-country road trip to see a bunch of America's iconic National Parks and also to cross off a bunch of states. We'll be heading up through the midwest to Glacier NP, then down to the Grand Canyon, then home. We're starting our brainstorm for a state-related playlist, and need suggestions for any and all of the following states:

• Kansas
    • Nebraska
    • Iowa
    • Michigan
    • Wisconsin
    • Minnesota
    • North Dakota
    • South Dakota
    • Wyoming
    • Montana
    • Idaho
    • Utah
    • Arizona
    • New Mexico
    • Texas
    • Oklahoma
    • Arkansas

Go.
    Kansas - Dust in the Wind or Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas, anything by Toto :-)

If you are coming through the KC metro area, let me know and I'll treat you to a meal. Please don't judge our state just on the view from I-70. It is a beautiful state - not Rocky Mountain splendor but still beautiful.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Minnesota - anything by Prince!

Michigan - Detroit Rock City, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Pretty Girl from Michigan (Avett Brothers), Especially in Michigan (Red Hot Chili Peppers), and, of course the Motown Canon.

I'll keep thinking but that'w what I got for now.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Iowa - Soundtrack to The Music Man

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    A cat has adopted our back yard.
    Be grateful it's not a killer bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Be grateful it's not a killer bunny.
    Shhh ... that apparently triggers a thread lock

Who's got their tree?!

I do.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Our is up thanks to Mrs.PK

Had my exit interview. It was hard, but took the high road with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Had my exit interview. It was hard, but took the high road with it.
    Kudos to you, both for your new job and your ability to remain even-tempered.
    Exit interviews are funny...in my only exit interview since beginning my career in earnest, I was leaving for a 50% raise, a ~70% reduction in my daily commute time, and a vastly better institutional fit, and they still couldn’t figure out why anyone would ever want to leave. I was truthful, but nice and genuinely appreciative of the opportunity they had given me, and eventually, when pressed for ever more explanations as to my departure, I was just kind of like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    In my previous exit interview, when informing the [redacted] [redacteds] at [redacted] University that I was prioritizing my long-term mental and emotional well-being and leaving their [redacted] PhD program, I, um, did not quite take the high road. But it sure felt good to tell those [redacted] [redacteds] to stick their [redacted] [redacted] [redacteds] right up their [redacted] [redacteds]. I think that, almost 7 years later, the flames on that bridge have just about petered out.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I’ve got one state left to go, Alaska.
    I'm assuming you mean Alaska is the one state you haven't visited. My last state is ND (I was running late getting to Seattle for a 2 week sailboat trip, and couldn't really afford the side trip; I've regretted sleeping instead ever since.) My standard is both driving enough to need gas and eating a meal in a state - nicking a corner doesn't count. I don't know how I'll work ND in without making it a specific destination...

And, of course, anyone doing a lot of driving should also get to BBQ joints and tacky tourist sites as well. Great big balls of twine! Mini Graceland! Corn Palace! America at its, um, somethingest...

-jk

I'm assuming you mean Alaska is the one state you haven't visited. My last state is ND (I was running late getting to Seattle for a 2 week sailboat trip, and couldn't really afford the side trip; I've regretted sleeping instead ever since.) My standard is both driving enough to need gas and eating a meal in a state - nicking a corner doesn't count. I don't know how I'll work ND in without making it a specific destination...

And, of course, anyone doing a lot of driving should also get to BBQ joints and tacky tourist sites as well. Great big balls of twine! Mini Graceland! Corn Palace! America at its, um, somethingest...

-jk
    My well-travelled parents only lack Hawaii and have tickets to rectify that in February. Impressive accomplishment.

...anyone doing a lot of driving should also get to BBQ joints and tacky tourist sites as well. Great big balls of twine! Mini Graceland! Corn Palace! America at its, um, somethingest...

-jk

I harbor a secret desire to visit the vacuum cleaner museum somewhere in Ohio. I kid you not. Think of the sweeeeeet tshirt!

I have added to the ball of twine - more than once.
    Stopped at the Spam Museum this summer.