Page 107 of 149 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree that the odds of him coming to Duke are pretty small, but every day that passes means there is still a chance. Is there any chance that he is considering the G-League? It seems like he comes from a fairly academically-minded family and I assume money is not an issue as his dad is a D-1 head coach, so one would think he is focused on college. But the NBA is really trying hard to make Team Ignite a successful, long-term proposition, recruiting the best players - I just read an article on ESPN from a few months ago saying they are going after the top 10 recruits and they did not specifically mention Baldwin.
    I don't have any inside info here on PBJ, obviously, but it's widely considered that RSCI No. 4 Jaden Hardy and No. 8 Michael Foster will be going the G League Ignite route, so there are your top-10 guys. I suspect that 1) Rod Strickland et al reached out to PBJ to gauge his interest and tried to recruit him; and 2) if he was thought to be going that way or even strongly considering it, some of the more plugged in recruiting and NBA guys would've heard about it and mentioned it in their analysis. Of course, it seems like PBJ is playing his decision quite close to the vest, so who really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I thought we were still trying to get to ten recruited players so we could have legitimate scrimmages:

Lessee...
    Five returning --
    • Joey Baker
    • Wendell Moore
    • Jeremy Roach
    • Mark Williams
    • Henry Coleman

Three recruits --
    • Paolo Banchero
    • A.J. Griffin
    • Trevor Keels

Need 2-3 more players.

Looks like we're short of ten
    Sorry is I wasn't clear, but my assumption was the staff was targeting Blakes and John to get us to 10

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The biblical name rule is archaic and I hope it is dead and buried within a generation. There is nothing at all wrong with using Blakes’ on a message board and IMO that is more defensible than applying different rules to prophets or guest stars from Bill and Ted’s excellent adventure.
    You could type it that way; nobody is stopping you. It would still be incorrect, though. In this case, the "s" at the end of his name does not indicate a plural. He's just ONE GUY. Therefore, a possessive is formed by adding apostrophe s. It's actually pretty simple.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    For the past few weeks or maybe longer (what is time these days?), my view has been that Jr is waiting on the employment situation involving Sr, whatever that may be. The coaching carousel is swinging fast and there are a lot of job openings. For Sr, that gives him leverage at UW Milwaukee. He just finished his fourth year there. Does the school want to extend him? Does another school want to hire him? Is he waiting for another domino to fall?

It is fairly common to take a job opening and use it to get a raise or extension at your current job. Look at what happened with Nolan Smith. Last summer, he was a serious candidate to join Penny Hardaway at Memphis. He was given a strong counter from the Duke coaching staff and now he's an assistant.

I think the PBJ ship sailed for Duke a while ago. That's all well and good as the roster at wing/forward is more than well-stocked. Between Baker, Moore, Griffin, and Keels, that's about the best collection of talent you'll find in the college game next season. The most likely landing spot for Patrick Baldwin Jr is to anchor down with his dad. It's his dad that is still out at sea.
    It may be that PBS's situation at UWM is tenuous enough to give PBJ a reason to delay his commitment. PBS has yet to field a winning record in 4 years, and this year UWM was in the bottom half of the Horizon League. I presume he is in the final year of his contract, and it doesn't seem that he's merited any kind of extension. I wonder if PBS realizes his tenure is on thin ice and may not enter into 2021-22 as head coach. As such, Duke might be PBJ's backup. It's just odd to me that Junior hasn't committed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    It may be that PBS's situation at UWM is tenuous enough to give PBJ a reason to delay his commitment. PBS has yet to field a winning record in 4 years, and this year UWM was in the bottom half of the Horizon League. I presume he is in the final year of his contract, and it doesn't seem that he's merited any kind of extension. I wonder if PBS realizes his tenure is on thin ice and may not enter into 2021-22 as head coach. As such, Duke might be PBJ's backup. It's just odd to me that Junior hasn't committed yet.
    Yeah why couldn't he commit to UWM, not sign a LOI, and if dad gets the pink slip, simply decommit and head to Durham?

Very excited about the commitment of Theo John this morning...I also believe Duke's basketball Twitter may be doing some foreshadowing...

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1...620213250?s=20

They are saying "Or 2?"

My guess Blakes is very close to being next, maybe today.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Very excited about the commitment of Theo John this morning...I also believe Duke's basketball Twitter may be doing some foreshadowing...

They are saying "Or 2?"

Trevor Keels has posted on his IG in response to the Theo John commitment that, 'we're not done yet :eyes emoji:'

Best guess is that Duke is getting a commitment this weekend, most likely Jaylen Blakes.

I love it when recently committed recruits start using "we" when talking about Duke. It's like falling in love all over again.

These are good gets. We needed some bodies to fill out the roster.

They are saying "Or 2?"

When Kyrie says "another one," could he really mean "another 1"?

They are saying "Or 2?"

That twitter “thread” mentions next year’s Devils have played total of 24 minutes in NCAA tourneys. 7 for Baker and 17 for Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That twitter “thread” mentions next year’s Devils have played total of 24 minutes in NCAA tourneys. 7 for Baker and 17 for Johns.
    That's crazy.

Article saying there's less certainty about Baldwin playing for his dad.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...d-developments

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    You could type it that way; nobody is stopping you. It would still be incorrect, though. In this case, the "s" at the end of his name does not indicate a plural. He's just ONE GUY. Therefore, a possessive is formed by adding apostrophe s. It's actually pretty simple.
    With Williams, Jones, Keels, and possibly Blakes, is it possible that we are seriously over the scholarship limit?

I can’t rate players, especially ones I haven’t seen, but #1-20 >> #125-500

On average, #10 is a truly great high school player. We’ve gotten numb to that fact. It’s akin to someone being among the 10 best mathematicians or cellists in high school. It’s rare. When you get to #125-500, I’d imagine there is little reliable difference between 125 and 500. As in, they appear to be solidly able to play college ball but aren’t athletic freaks, at least nationally.

Since the 1980’s, Duke’s starting lineup has been composed almost entirely of #1-20’s (or at least 1-40) while most teams—including P5 teams—are fortunate if they can recruit a single McD AA in a 4 year stretch. They’re filled with 100-500, and so whenever any of their players makes all conference (or the nba), they’ve overperformed.

When a #100-500 (like JG, who was actually #398 at 247) has a great run at Duke, it’s partly him,
    partly coaching, and partly opportunity—we didn’t have enough people at his position for a couple years. It’s not about likability or reliability (I always found his entry into the game to be likably reassuring), but about talent. We aren’t Final Four good if we are relying on guys who aren’t at least at the NBA fringe, and JG isn’t there. While I don’t particularly enjoy watching Duke teams composed of OAD’s, we won’t win big every year without them. If a #1-5 (like a Baldwin or Bagley) is willing to sign with us in August, we make room (as would virtually any team, in any league, anywhere). Having said that, it’s a little hard for our players to overperform. I guess Zion did. He was about #5, and he became legendary, but for a long time, most of our starters were recruited with the expectation that they’d play pro eventually.

On more controversial news, my view on possessives is that when I’m looking at a singular proper noun that ends in s, I add an apostrophe but no s. Socrates’ philosophy, Blakes’ shooting. I do this for 3 reasons. One, I don’t generally pronounce the extra s, so why add it? Second, we live in a world of limited resources, so why waste fonts? And 3rd, there are so few ways to rebel in this increasingly buttoned down world filled with carping naysayers, and if I want my sentences to retain the lean vitality of youth, without being burdened by mythical vestiges of a grammatical Eden, I’m gonna take charge of my sentences. In so doing, I imagine myself to be embodying Zion on a breakaway dunk or Mel Gibson exhorting the troops in Braveheart or Belushi creating a fraternal ideal in Animal House. By exercising a wanton disregard for convention, I feel akin to Icarus or Lavar Ball—misunderstood in his time, perhaps, and risking a fall, but the gamble revivifies and makes the hum drum of everyday existence sparkle, and, further, it provides the sort of primal oomph that juices me into promiscuously challenging the Oxford comma, the split infinitive, and rules that forbid me to end sentences with words that—through no fault of their own—happen to be prepositions.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Article saying there's less certainty about Baldwin playing for his dad.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...d-developments
    Note that re Baldwin. But main thing about article that caught my eye was Barnes and Tennessee. What is up there?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    With Williams, Jones, Keels, and possibly Blakes, is it possible that we are seriously over the scholarship limit?
    Jones and John added to Baker, Moore, Williams, Roach, Coleman, Banchero, Griffin and Keels adds up to 10. Not even close to the limit. Still room at the inn.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    On the other hand, no one on the Duke roster next season has lost a game in the ACC Tournament.

I know that somewhere on this thread there was discussion about recruiting ranks. I admit that I don't keep up with said rankings like I once did and I guess it's because those it will be discussed on DBR. However I ran across a Rivals website on ranking of recruits that covered; 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. I saw that Kerwin Walton(Cheats) was rated #93 coming out of high school. I had no idea he was rated that low/high coming out of high school. I guess it shows that these rankings are not always accurate.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jones and John added to Baker, Moore, Williams, Roach, Coleman, Banchero, Griffin and Keels adds up to 10. Not even close to the limit. Still room at the inn.
    It was a joke about esses and plurals and such.