Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDukie View Post
    I really appreciated Coach Smith's statement regarding Coach K's 880th victory. I also though Roy's comments during the pre-game special were very kind, as well. Sometimes this rivalry brings out the worst in us, but every now and then, it brings out the best, too.
    I hope no one finds this offensive, but I have to ask this question in regards to Dean's health: were those comments tonight actually made by Dean himself or were they made by a spokesperson for Dean?

I know many people on here have mentioned his deteriorating health/mind, and I've had two family members go through that and it is something I hope I never have to deal with again. For those of you "in the know", would Dean be able to make a comment like that if he has dementia? (http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2...h-memory-loss/)

Either way, I think the comment was a nice gesture...I guess I'm just trying to figure out if he can truly understand what just happened tonight.

A very nice gesture, to be sure, but I also wondered if maybe it was more from the Smith family. I doubt we'll ever really know. A real shame to see anyone struggle as Dean Smith has struggled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    A very nice gesture, to be sure, but I also wondered if maybe it was more from the Smith family. I doubt we'll ever really know. A real shame to see anyone struggle as Dean Smith has struggled.
    I jumped over to IC (for some laughs) to see what they were saying and someone posted that the comment from Dean was phony, and something to the effect of " Coach Smith is passed the point that he doesn't even who K is, let alone that he broke his record".

With what I have heard, seems like it would make sense if the family released a statement from Dean. That is classy on their part if that is what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    I jumped over to IC (for some laughs) to see what they were saying and someone posted that the comment from Dean was phony, and something to the effect of " Coach Smith is passed the point that he doesn't even who K is, let alone that he broke his record".

With what I have heard, seems like it would make sense if the family released a statement from Dean. That is classy on their part if that is what happened.
    'hadn't been over there in a few weeks, so I peeked at IC too. Pretty amazingly sophomoric -- petty name calling, false claims of Dean's inventions or "accomplishments" (such as the 4C's - but at least one poster asked if that was really something to brag about...), and just general pettiness. Just can't imagine that tone, or all of those poorly researched posts, over at DBR. But from all of the vitriole, you can pretty clearly see that there was some obvious damage done to the collective UNC psyche tonight. To be fair, maybe one-in-a dozen actually tries to give K credit, though even then calling him by a vermin name or some such... (Sigh)

BD "Boy, most of them seem to just despise K" BD .......

I really hope Dean has some agency in the press release re: K. I don't want to think that's a conniving AD or something. I want it to be real.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I really hope Dean has some agency in the press release re: K. I don't want to think that's a conniving AD or something. I want it to be real.
    Agreed... the honest thoughts of a legendary guy like Dean would be treasured. But you know that regardless of who tweaked the actual released comments the sentiments would largely be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I saw Dean's son last week at the UNC-W&M game. After our conversation, I have to believe the statement was put out by the family and/or the SID at UNC. I wish nothing but good health for Dean Smith.

Full disclosure...
    1) We sold our house in Chapel Hill a number of years back to Dean's son and they are an incredibly nice family. My daughter went to middle school with his daughter.
    2) I only went to the UNC-W&M game for one reason...to watch the son of another ex neighbor from the same neighborhood play for W&M. I wouldn't voluntarily go see the Heels!

I thought the release on Dean Smith's congrats to Coach K were classy and forthcoming. I am sure, they were released by the Smith family. As I have heard also, that Dean Smith is struggling with Memory issues. I find that sad, for anyone.

All and all, the ACC has been blessed to have 2 Great Hall of Fame coachs, in Coach K and Coach Smith, with National Championships, and Great players, and most do graduate! K and Dean have each represented their universities to the upmost, with their staff and players, and represented the ACC quit well, through the years.

Although, I loathe the Tar Heels, I give props, when props are due. Very classy and genuine words from the Smith family to Coach K, on his milestone 880, breaking Dean's wins.

and as always, Go Duke!!! K the Coach!!!

Coack K is George Strait

This appeared in the Raleigh News & Observer. Not sure who Geogre Straight is (Carolina grad that can not spell). But Dean Smith as an innovator and influencer!!!

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/...greatness.html

Quote Originally Posted by GODUKEGO View Post
    This appeared in the Raleigh News & Observer. Not sure who Geogre Straight is (Carolina grad that can not spell). But Dean Smith as an innovator and influencer!!!

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/01/...greatness.html
    Interestingly, "skitt" is swedish for "s&^!%" but spelled wrong.

Who said this?

"It's not about what you've done," he said. "It's about the process and journey of what you've accomplished, the gratification you get from it, and what you learned from it. After that, it's over. And it's time for the next one. That's how you have to think."

It was not Coach K but sounds an awful lot like him.

Link