Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Listen to Quants View Post
    Dezinformatsiya ... ?
    could be, but i'm choosing to hope that perhaps we can see a consistent improvement in our 3pt %...

Greenberg before the game: Duke can't win the national championship shooting 3s the % they do.
    Greenberg at halftime last night: Live by the sword, die by the sword.

His hypocrisy is off the charts. He gets paid a lot of money to talk college hoops. All he has to do is put on a suit, sit in makeup and say ignorant things on camera. I wish he'd go away.

As for the game, I'm still reveling in it all. This team is special in almost every way. One game at a time though so next play. And that's Tuesday in the Commonwealth. Let's get it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Greenberg before the game: Duke can't win the national championship shooting 3s the % they do.

His hypocrisy is off the charts. He gets paid a lot of money to talk college hoops. All he has to do is put on a suit, sit in makeup and say ignorant things on camera. I wish he'd go away.

As for the game, I'm still reveling in it all. This team is special in almost every way. One game at a time though so next play. And that's Tuesday in the Commonwealth. Let's get it.
    So let me get this straight Seth: Duke doesn't "have the sword" (3 point shooting) so they won't win the natty. Then when they pick up the sword (versus UVA) it's live by the sword die by the sword? What a maroon....how can you be that self unaware? (And J Will, boldly picking Duke on Friday on PTI and then changing horses for Game Day. ESPN really does count on a certain stupid factor in at least some of their audience.)

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post

yeah, he thought we were toast because we shot so well in the first half and led by only four...

Fun factor

Everyone upstream has good comments concerning the game.

This team seems to have fun. The guys like each other and enjoy the moment. No game seems too big for them.

I have had a lot of fun watching this team. I have liked all of our teams in recent years but this team is a joy to watch. I enjoyed our teams the last three years but was always concerned about GA ( I loved the guy) losing it and doing something dumb.

Only 8 more regular season games before the ACC tournament. Duke does have a tough schedule ahead. Not as tough as the Cheats however. The Cheats have to play Duke twice.

On to Louisville. I'm coming out from Denver to see the game. My Duke fan son is joining me. I have a great, old friend who lives in Denver but has great connections to the Louisville program. He is giving us two tickets, he'll be the game sitting in other seats.

I'm 1 and 1 at Louisville. Saw the 2015 Duke team win. Saw the 2016 Duke team lose.

Go Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Everyone upstream has good comments concerning the game.

This team seems to have fun. The guys like each other and enjoy the moment. No game seems too big for them.

I have had a lot of fun watching this team. I have liked all of our teams in recent years but this team is a joy to watch. I enjoyed our teams the last three years but was always concerned about GA ( I loved the guy) losing it and doing something dumb.

Only 8 more regular season games before the ACC tournament. Duke does have a tough schedule ahead. Not as tough as the Cheats however. The Cheats have to play Duke twice.

On to Louisville. I'm coming out from Denver to see the game. My Duke fan son is joining me. I have a great, old friend who lives in Denver but has great connections to the Louisville program. He is giving us two tickets, he'll be the game sitting in other seats.

I'm 1 and 1 at Louisville. Saw the 2015 Duke team win. Saw the 2016 Duke team lose.

Go Duke.
    Do let me know if it's true that each seat in the Yum Center has a KFC dispenser...make sure to bring some napkins! Almost hard to imagine one company could own three nastier franchises (KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Mutt) but this is America where anything is possible.

Taco Bell will be 5 star in the future. Haven't you seen Demolition Man?

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    True .the refs missed a few on both.they called it loose .when javin can play physical for 11 minutes whith 1 foul you know its loosely called.he tends to get called a lot.
    I watched half a dozen or so UVa games last year not involving Duke, because I like how well Bennet has them playing as a team. But I noticed in those games that Salt committed many many moving screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I watched half a dozen or so UVa games last year not involving Duke, because I like how well Bennet has them playing as a team. But I noticed in those games that Salt committed many many moving screens.
    I’m glad the refs weren’t really a factor here. If anything the calls in the open seemed to slightly favor Duke. For instance I thought Zion had an offensive foul in the second half but it was very close (I like play on calls if they are close, only stop play if you are sure). I say “in the open” because Zion regularly gets bodied up in a way that would be called were it not for his Thanos like size advantage.

It was discussed a little earlier but I still have questions about the “in the cylinder” call on Bolden. I remember when it was instituted. The first time I saw it called was at the Indiana game and the entire crowd was surprised, no one knew the gesture for it and laughed. If that the rule, fine. What I don’t understand is that call is never made in the paint, or even within the arc. Is this only an open floor call? Seems to me in the paint this call could be made all the time.

Thanks to anyone who knows, sorry if I’m the only who cares or doesn’t know.
    The ceiling is the roof

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    I’m glad the refs weren’t really a factor here. If anything the calls in the open seemed to slightly favor Duke. For instance I thought Zion had an offensive foul in the second half but it was very close (I like play on calls if they are close, only stop play if you are sure). I say “in the open” because Zion regularly gets bodied up in a way that would be called were it not for his Thanos like size advantage.

It was discussed a little earlier but I still have questions about the “in the cylinder” call on Bolden. I remember when it was instituted. The first time I saw it called was at the Indiana game and the entire crowd was surprised, no one knew the gesture for it and laughed. If that the rule, fine. What I don’t understand is that call is never made in the paint, or even within the arc. Is this only an open floor call? Seems to me in the paint this call could be made all the time.

Thanks to anyone who knows, sorry if I’m the only who cares or doesn’t know.
    I think... THINK, the rule is designed to stop defenders from leaning into a player with the ball to really apply additional pressure. It's usually (in my viewing experience) only called when the defender gains some kind of advantage, like forcing the offensive player to stumble/walk/commit a turnover. It's also been called a bunch of times when I've seen defensive players crowd the offensive player and then get elbowed when the offensive player makes any kind of "basketball move/play". It reminds me of the bodying on drives they almost always let go... unless it forces the offensive player to step out of bounds. Kind of like, "well, I wouldn't call it a foul, except you don't deserve to get a turnover from riding a guy/leaning on a guy that much".

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    First off - have fun on Tuesday - that is awesome. Is the YUM Center as cool as everyone says?

Second, not to derail the thread (which, I guess, is the equivalent of saying to someone 'don't take this the wrong way' before criticism is leveled)..but has anyone been seeing the 'antics' of Wisconsin's Buzzcut Brad Davidson?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WisconsinBa...going_too_far/

https://saturdaytradition.com/wiscon...is-shady-move/

Interpret it as you will, but it aint leading SportsCenter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I think... THINK, the rule is designed to stop defenders from leaning into a player with the ball to really apply additional pressure. It's usually (in my viewing experience) only called when the defender gains some kind of advantage, like forcing the offensive player to stumble/walk/commit a turnover. It's also been called a bunch of times when I've seen defensive players crowd the offensive player and then get elbowed when the offensive player makes any kind of "basketball move/play". It reminds me of the bodying on drives they almost always let go... unless it forces the offensive player to step out of bounds. Kind of like, "well, I wouldn't call it a foul, except you don't deserve to get a turnover from riding a guy/leaning on a guy that much".
    While I dislike you guys style of ball.i dont have a seething hatred for Virginia. I actually hope yall do rather well it's good for the acc .just not a dukes expense.
    I actually sorta see why the call on Bolden. Theres no way the guy could stand up Bolden didnt lean as much as he was over his leg .I'm not sure how that plays out .or its interpretation. Not that I agree with it but I see why it could be called. If it was unc umd uconn or Kentucky. I'd want salt drawn and quartered for the hard foul on zion .but that's probably overdoing it a bit .lol
    I would hope for 5 overtimes against unc .good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    That actually makes sense and is a good use of the rule. However, in the case yesterday no such thing occurred (potential TO or somebody getting inadvertently elbowed) so shouldn't have been called in my opinion. Obviously not a big deal but just an odd thing. I did hate it in the past when a player got penalized for accidentally hitting someone in the face simply because they had nowhere to go. So, if that's the origin of the new rule, it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    That actually makes sense and is a good use of the rule. However, in the case yesterday no such thing occurred (potential TO or somebody getting inadvertently elbowed) so shouldn't have been called in my opinion. Obviously not a big deal but just an odd thing. I did hate it in the past when a player got penalized for accidentally hitting someone in the face simply because they had nowhere to go. So, if that's the origin of the new rule, it makes sense.
    Hi there -- long time lurker, first time poster. Loved the game.

By the way, in the exchange where Javin and Jerome both got deadball techs, Javin got a nasty (inadvertent) right jab to the face. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    First off - have fun on Tuesday - that is awesome. Is the YUM Center as cool as everyone says?

Second, not to derail the thread (which, I guess, is the equivalent of saying to someone 'don't take this the wrong way' before criticism is leveled)..but has anyone been seeing the 'antics' of Wisconsin's Buzzcut Brad Davidson?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WisconsinBa...going_too_far/

https://saturdaytradition.com/wiscon...is-shady-move/

Interpret it as you will, but it aint leading SportsCenter.
    There was also the trip from the bench by a West Virginia player.

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/sta...42484788711424

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    After the game I managed to get down into the tunnels under jpj to pop out near the bus. Bilas walked by intent on his phone and I just managed a "Hey Jay, go get 'em" innocuous hello. He blew me off and that's the second time this season. He did it in Toronto, too.,

You've been warned Jay. Not nice to ignore someone in Duke blue who's only saying hello.
    Bilas has blown me off in a similar manner as well (no phone though...he just completely ignored me). Meanwhile, Vitale has stopped and taken a picture with me under similar circumstances.

In the BC in-game thread I lamented that this team simply cannot shoot. Then they do this at UVA.

So again, this team simply cannot shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i'm assuuuummming you mean that the spacing is wider, and not that the court is physically bigger.
    I'll cop a plea on that. I guess like you, Zion momentarily did "break my brain".
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023

A few thoughts on disparate topics:

- Hunter/Jerome: Both are almost certainly gone, and I think you can remove the “almost” in Hunter’s case.
    - Zion: Transcendent athlete, fantastic player, likely a perennial All-Star, but not flawless. He could improve his outside shot and ballhandling, and his conditioning probably won’t hold up to 82 games and back-to-backs. He’s far from alone on that last point - probably even in the strong majority - but I did think he was winded in the second half yesterday.
    - Sampson: I get why some of you guys don’t like him, but I think even the most ardent disliker can appreciate the recent announcement that he will press the button when they (finally) take down University Hall sometime soon. That was his joint.