Page 1942 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 94214421842189219321940194119421943194419521992204224422942 ... LastLast
Results 38,821 to 38,840 of 67370
    I say so many things that I guess it was bound to happen eventually, I asked a good question and received a brilliant response. Thanks Bostondevil. This is fantastic information.

And I must spread comments, but this is double spork worthy.
    Last edited by ClemmonsDevil; 04-13-2021 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Sporks

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I could get down with that schedule. I'd really like a job that allowed for a yearly sabbatical.
    It does require having an employed spouse who makes decent money. I took per diem status in the beginning because I had a kid starting his 4th round of chemo. Then a second kid was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. For the first year that I "wasn't working", I was taking children to medical appointments 6 times a week.

Now I have more time but my youngest just had surgery for his scoliosis and is now doing weekly, in person, physical therapy.

There are times when I don't have much to do though. Although right now I'm procrastinating getting started for the day on my latest project because it's difficult work that I don't really want to do. 5 more minutes then I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of not that useful data.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Although right now I'm procrastinating getting started for the day on my latest project because it's difficult work that I don't really want to do. 5 more minutes then I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of not that useful data.
    Can you just send it back with a single GIGO in your reply?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Can you just send it back with a single GIGO in your reply?
    I wish. No. A paper must come out of this. But, just to tell you what I'm dealing with - claims data, millions of observations, they did not collect race as a demographic variable. (Was this data collected by a private company? You betcha. Government claims data is the worst until you try to work with stuff that the government didn't collect.) There are times when I'm in the thick of figuring (*&#% out that I wonder why are we even bothering. But, it's not my call.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm making larb with ground turkey.
    How was it? I have not dabbled enough in Asian cuisines and should expand my horizons.
    It was good...easy recipe; about 30 min from start to finish, only 6-8 ingredients, all fresh and healthy stuff. Just a couple of tablespoons of oil and otherwise very lean. It lends itself well to customization with all manner of spice (as y'all know, I love spicy food), and I also added a little rice vinegar for depth and flavor. I think next time I will add a little extra liquid (probably a little chicken broth), as the ground turkey got a little dry. I had wanted to grind my own chicken using thigh meat, but there wasn't a single package of thighs at the grocery yesterday afternoon.

...I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of not that useful data.
    Let's play a game! Change the bolded word, and only the bolded word, to describe your profession.
    I'll go first.

I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of not that useful adolescents.

I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of not that useful neonatologists.

*officially I do NOT find any of them useless. I do find the Neos who won't speak with me because "We are already soooooo good at what we do" to be silly. Yes silly is the right word. But I also assume they are merely un or misinformed and they are friends I haven't met yet. I collect people.

I wish. No. A paper must come out of this. But, just to tell you what I'm dealing with - claims data, millions of observations, they did not collect race as a demographic variable. (Was this data collected by a private company? You betcha. Government claims data is the worst until you try to work with stuff that the government didn't collect.) There are times when I'm in the thick of figuring (*&#% out that I wonder why are we even bothering. But, it's not my call.
    In my industry, race will never be collected and we are super careful about location data(it's collected, care is around how much weight to give it.) One of our better predictors is being challenged in several state legislature as I type. But that has been happening since implementation 25 years ago.

It does require having an employed spouse who makes decent money. I took per diem status in the beginning because I had a kid starting his 4th round of chemo. Then a second kid was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. For the first year that I "wasn't working", I was taking children to medical appointments 6 times a week.

Now I have more time but my youngest just had surgery for his scoliosis and is now doing weekly, in person, physical therapy.

There are times when I don't have much to do though. Although right now I'm procrastinating getting started for the day on my latest project because it's difficult work that I don't really want to do. 5 more minutes then I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of not that useful data.
    That is a full, full slate for anyone, let alone anyone with any sort of professional pursuit.

Hope everyone is well.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Let's play a game! Change the bolded word, and only the bolded word, to describe your profession.
    I'll go first.

I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of not that useful adolescents.
    I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of clusterf*** research files. (this has been a rough couple of weeks and looks to only get rougher)

BTW - I retire in <9 years!!! Unless some politicians decide to screw with our early retirement plans . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I say so many things that I guess it was bound to happen eventually, I asked a good question and received a brilliant response.
    Lol, throwing shade at the rest of us!

I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of not that useful tax law?

Maybe numbers is a better word?

In my industry, race will never be collected and we are super careful about location data(it's collected, care is around how much weight to give it.) One of our better predictors is being challenged in several state legislature as I type. But that has been happening since implementation 25 years ago.
    Medical claims data, used to do public health research. We are going to have to put in the paper that race was not collected by the data source and I predict that every single reviewer will still ask why we didn't look at race. When we explain that we used a data source that didn't collect race, they will probably ask why we used the data.

Medical claims data, used to do public health research. We are going to have to put in the paper that race was not collected by the data source and I predict that every single reviewer will still ask why we didn't look at race. When we explain that we used a data source that didn't collect race, they will probably ask why we used the data.
    We are in PPB territory, but this is what happens for private entities given the world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I gotta go make something out of an enormous pile of not that useful tax law?

Maybe numbers is a better word?
    I experience only a few hours every year with the tax laws. It can be confusing to say the least.

We are in PPB territory, but this is what happens for private entities given the world we live in.
    Fair enough. But you have kinda confirmed that private entities will never be able to collect good data for public health research use purposes. There are some things that only the government can do.

Fire drills are much easier now that we are on floor 3 of a 3 story building. When we were on the 12th floor of a 15 story building, most of the building had meetings away from the office starting about 30 minutes before the appointed drill time.

Specifying the day and time of the drill should be outlawed. People should really practice the drill and, if you know the time, you can skip it. When we had to evacuate the 15 story building due to a fire*, it wasn't pretty. A person being helped down the stairs was holding their helper's arm so they were side by side. People a flight back were yelling for people to hurry up - I kept waiting for a stampede. They never came around to debrief anyone on this. I thought someone should have come around to discuss what went well and what didn't. I determined that, if I were ever helping someone down the stairs in a fire, I would have them be on the step behind me and lean on my shoulders so that we were single file and others could go around us. It didn't help that the other stairwell was acting like a chimney and was smokey so we were all trying to go down one stairwell. It made me think about people exiting the World Trade Towers. I'm still amazed that so many were able to get out.

* Someone** tossed a cigarette butt in the dumpster in the loading dock area and it started a fire. The smoke then came in the building and the closest stairwell acted like a chimney.

** An idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Fire drills are much easier now that we are on floor 3 of a 3 story building. When we were on the 12th floor of a 15 story building, most of the building had meetings away from the office starting about 30 minutes before the appointed drill time.

Specifying the day and time of the drill should be outlawed. People should really practice the drill and, if you know the time, you can skip it. When we had to evacuate the 15 story building due to a fire*, it wasn't pretty. A person being helped down the stairs was holding their helper's arm so they were side by side. People a flight back were yelling for people to hurry up - I kept waiting for a stampede. They never came around to debrief anyone on this. I thought someone should have come around to discuss what went well and what didn't. I determined that, if I were ever helping someone down the stairs in a fire, I would have them be on the step behind me and lean on my shoulders so that we were single file and others could go around us. It didn't help that the other stairwell was acting like a chimney and was smokey so we were all trying to go down one stairwell. It made me think about people exiting the World Trade Towers. I'm still amazed that so many were able to get out.

* Someone** tossed a cigarette butt in the dumpster in the loading dock area and it started a fire. The smoke then came in the building and the closest stairwell acted like a chimney.

** An idiot!
    Did the Someone also leave the fire door propped open, smoker style?

-jk

The thing I didn't enjoy with working in a tower were all the awkward elevator rides.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Did the Someone also leave the fire door propped open, smoker style?

-jk
    Not sure about that but probably. Since the smoke was entering the building, one of the doors nearby had to be open - it might have even been the loading dock door and not the person entry door next to it.