Page 1460 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 4609601360141014501458145914601461146214701510156019602460 ... LastLast
Results 29,181 to 29,200 of 67406
    I did drink a lot of water yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Hoping for good news today. Probably won't get it today, but we shall see.
    a watched pot never boils! (I have more of these if you need them)

France has never been particularly high on my list of places to hit in Europe. Always was more of a "I'll get there someday" sort of place.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If you go to the Musee d'Orsay, take the elevator to the top and work your way down. Hopefully you get the Impressionists to yourself or at least a much smaller crowd.

The Musee Rodin is very cool as well. I'm much more of a sculpture guy. I liked the Bargello and the Galleria dell' Academia more than the Uffizi in Florence, for example.
    Loved Musee Rodin. The one in Philly is pretty cool as well. Musee d'Orsay was a lot of fun. Did all three of the Florence ones you mentioned. I loved the Academia b/c of David and Michelangelo's Slaves. I guess that's not very PC of me, is it? Anyway, his Slaves series is spine-tingling. The Academia just doesn't have as many pieces as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I think your question got lost in the shuffle.

I have only been there once. While seeing the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo was cool, I think I was most struck by Hammnurabi's stone. I guess it was the age and history that kind of floored me. The age of everything in Europe always blows my mind.
    Kinda weird maybe, but in addition to touring the famous historical places and enjoying them, I really got into just going to the cemeteries in Europe and reading the very old tombstones. Many were very interesting, and even educational.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Kinda weird maybe, but in addition to touring the famous historical places and enjoying them, I really got into just going to the cemeteries in Europe and reading the very old tombstones. Many were very interesting, and even educational.
    Absolutely! Cemeteries are loaded with history. I am a genealogy buff (yes, one of THOSE people), and I love old cemeteries. The ones in Europe, again, blow my mind with their size and age. I did Cimitiere Pere Lachaise in Paris. This was before they kicked out all the weirdos that hung out at Jim Morrison's grave all day drinking and getting stoned. The graffiti was nauseating, but I hear they've cleaned all that up now. I think Edith Piaf is buried there.

Anyway, his Slaves series is spine-tingling.
    Absolutely. It's like they're trying to burst out of the blocks.

The Bargello was probably my favorite of the three, although each has really interesting things. The detail of The David is crazy (and my favorite Michelangelo sculpture -- The Pieta in the Vatican -- almost makes you weep. The fact that he made marble look like cloth is stunning, and the expressions are very moving).

Uffizi has wonderful paintings. Hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of paintings, from the same general periods. It is an exhaustive collection in more ways than one.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Absolutely! Cemeteries are loaded with history. I am a genealogy buff (yes, one of THOSE people), and I love old cemeteries. The ones in Europe, again, blow my mind with their size and age. I did Cimitiere Pere Lachaise in Paris. This was before they kicked out all the weirdos that hung out at Jim Morrison's grave all day drinking and getting stoned. The graffiti was nauseating, but I hear they've cleaned all that up now. I think Edith Piaf is buried there.
    I've been to Pere Lachaise, specifically to see Chopin's grave.

I love the Opera House in Paris. When I visited, they had a special exhibit on costumes - heaven! And my favorite museum in Paris? The Musee des Arts Decoratifs.

In London once, I spent 2 hours in the special exhibit on shoes at the Victoria and Albert Museum.

My favorite wing in the British Museum is the one with all the clocks.

I like the Marmottan - but I love Monet. Didn't make time to see everything in the Louvre.

I got sensory overload in the Uffizi. Wasn't as impressed with Birth of Venus as I was probably supposed to be - preferred da Vinci's Adoration of the Magi. I ended up leaving before my 2 cohorts and spending the time people watching in the piazza.

I confess to being the person lacking in art knowledge. It wasn't until I actually saw David that I realized why it was called David. (Finally saw the sling shot - yes, I'm a dodo head sometimes.) I had never made the connection before - maybe because I have a brother named David so it seemed normal to use that name. It was incredible - you could see the veins in his legs.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I confess to being the person lacking in art knowledge. It wasn't until I actually saw David that I realized why it was called David. (Finally saw the sling shot - yes, I'm a dodo head sometimes.) I had never made the connection before - maybe because I have a brother named David so it seemed normal to use that name. It was incredible - you could see the veins in his legs.
    And the creases in his knuckles. Amazing.

For those who have never read "The Agony And the Ecstasy" I HIGHLY recommend it. And, I HIGHLY discourage watching the movie version, which was stunningly disappointing after reading the book. Like, "Prince of Tides" disappointing.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I got sensory overload in the Uffizi. Wasn't as impressed with Birth of Venus as I was probably supposed to be - preferred da Vinci's Adoration of the Magi. I ended up leaving before my 2 cohorts and spending the time people watching in the piazza.
    I know what you mean about sensory overload.

There was a Botticelli exhibit at Boston's MFA a couple of years ago. The Birth of Venus didn't make the trip but Botticelli painted a few studies before attempting the main event and some of those were in the exhibit. Lovely. But also, a very manageable sized exhibit. I find I prefer doing the special exhibits, they don't tend be so overwhelming.

I lucked out on a trip to Chicago - the Art Institute was doing a special exhibit of Georges Seurat and The Making of La Grande Jatte. It was one of the best exhibits I have seen. It showed his practice panels and the timeline of how it all came together. So good, I even bought the expensive touristy souvenir book to take home.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And the creases in his knuckles. Amazing.

For those who have never read "The Agony And the Ecstasy" I HIGHLY recommend it. And, I HIGHLY discourage watching the movie version, which was stunningly disappointing after reading the book. Like, "Prince of Tides" disappointing.
    OK, just requested this from the library. 776 pages?!!?? I'm thinking I'll need to renew, although Durham County just announced they will no longer charge late fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I still mourn the loss of "The Concert" from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It's been 30 years!!
    marvelous article in Bloomberg BusinessWeek a few weeks ago about the Gardner heist...still being pursued by lots of people, big reward for catching the perps.

Perpetrating an art heist is pretty high on my “obviously I’m not gonna do that, but man, it seems like fun” list.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Perpetrating an art heist is pretty high on my “obviously I’m not gonna do that, but man, it seems like fun” list.
    It works out okay in all the movies...

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Did you ever watch the show Leverage? They made it look so easy.

What I lack in patience, I make up for in nervousness.