Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    DMB at Cats Cradle before they got big was pretty rad.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I saw them open for The Stones (featuring Mick and Keith, a/k/a “the Glamour Twins”) at Grant Field in ‘91 +/-.

I was more of a Who fan than the Stones and had seen The Who a few times previously. First Stones show, the first few tunes were fine. Then Keith either came up from the fog or down from the clouds and HIT IT from then on out. That’s when I realized why they’re called The Greatest Rock Band In The World.

Pure Craic.

And Living Colour was one of the top three openers I’ve seen, along with The Clash (open for The Who) and Def Leppard (open for Billy Squier). Add the Nevilles for the Dead, Tom Petty and Dylan for the Dead (several shows), also Leo Kottke for Michael Hedges . . . .
    I saw Def Leppard open for Billy Squier too at the old, old Charlotte Coliseum on Independence Blvd. Must have been 83’ or 84’ as I was still HS. It was soon after the Pyromania album came out and Photograph was hit. They blew up soon after and I saw them again headlining later the same year. I liked Billy Squier but he fell way short of his opening band that night. Other good openers - Eddie Money for 38 Special, John Cougar (no Mellincamp yet) for Heart, Loverboy for Heart, Joe Walsh for Stevie Nicks, Lenny Kravitz for Tom Petty, Shawn Mullins for John Gorka, Reckless Kelly for the Flatlanders, Iris Dement for John Prine and Keb Mo for Bonnie Raitt. I also saw John Prine and Lyle Lovett open for Bonnie at different shows but they were both well established at the time so not really in the same vein.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    [URL]

Furn-I thought OPK and I were the only Talking Heads Fans on the board -ture.
    Uh, no.

Uh oh. True Stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    with you on this one!

I love the Cats Cradle. Can’t wait for it to open up again!!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Arena/Stadium/Large Clubs
    The Jackson Five (parents took my brother and I when I was 9)
    The Beach Boys (again with the parents)
    Pearl Jam x7
    Eric Clapton x2
    Bob Dylan/Kenny Rogers
    Bad Religion (come for Bad Religion stay for GWAR...oy)
    Oasis (surprising great live)
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Bush
    The Foo Fighters
    Garbage x2
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Neil Young
    Motörhead
    Counting Crows
    Dave Matthew
    Live
    Natalie Merchant

I’ve seen a large amount of other acts at three Loolapalozzas, a Tibetan Freedom Concert (lighting and all) and a Music Midtown in Atlanta.

Some of shows I cherish the most are at small venues. Friends and I saw Vertical Horizons at the Brewery in Raleigh. It’s a tiny place. Just intense and intimate. Three hour show, the band was sweating, the crowd sweating and everyone just not wanting the night to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    I also prefer small venues. Tops of the tiny venue concerts for me was probably Alejandro Escoveda in the late 90s with a few dozen people at a house concert in Chapel Hill.
    I saw Alejandro Escovedo 3 or 4 years ago at etown in Boulder. 200 seat venue. He's very good. You probably know this but he got his start with a punk rock band, The Nuns, in San Francisco.

There are several guys in the Americana/Austin country branch that started as punk rockers.

First concert ever - Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys opened for James Taylor...and Carly Simon came out for Mockingbird. Not a bad first ever show.

I saw DMB at a frat party on west campus in fall, 1993 and a few other small venues (The Ritz in Raleigh, Wait Chapel at Wake) in 1994 before they hit it big. I saw them at a small venue in London in 1996 after they were big in the US but not abroad. Cat's Cradle is a great venue where I saw several acts in the mid-90s, though blanking on who.

Ben Folds Five in a small venue in ATL around 1997-1998. One of my favorite bands - so much energy and talent. I might have seen them at Cats Cradle.

Grateful Dead four times shortly before Jerry died.

John Legend at a tiny club in Philly with about 50 other people in 2001-2002 before when he was still John Stephens. A few of my friends had worked with him as a consultant at BCG so we saw him when he was in Philly and we hung out briefly after the show.

Mandela Day at Radio City in 2009 - Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, Josh Groban and various others.

These are the most notable. I used to go to a lot of concerts but marriage, work, kids, etc. have gotten in the way...

https://covercharge.bandcamp.com/alb...it-cats-cradle

Seen Lambchop three times at the Cradle, Built To Spill once, Ben Folds, Buddy and Julie Miller, Don Dixon, and a bunch more that escape me off the top of my head. Hope to be able to return some day as it has now been probably close to ten years.

The link above is a terrific fundraiser release by local bands to benefit the Cat's Cradle. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    https://covercharge.bandcamp.com/alb...it-cats-cradle

Seen Lambchop three times at the Cradle, Built To Spill once, Ben Folds, Buddy and Julie Miller, Don Dixon, and a bunch more that escape me off the top of my head. Hope to be able to return some day as it has now been probably close to ten years.

The link above is a terrific fundraiser release by local bands to benefit the Cat's Cradle. I highly recommend it.
    Cradle shows for me include Husker Du in the mid 80s, Mould's acoustic tour tied to Workbook (an all time favorite show), and Sugar a few years later for a Mould triple play. Yellow Man, Eek a Mouse, Old 97s, Gillian Welch, Dave Rawlings Machine, Sun Ra, the Cramps, X, Backsliders, Leo Kottke, Flat Duo Jets, Superchunk, Polvo, Shane MacGowan,...

as far as memorable concerts I've seen that is a tough one:

Sleatter-Kinney, Flaming Lips, Wilco at the Garden for NYE in the early 2000s. Sound sucked at times but great covers set by Wilco that included Judas Priest's Living After Midnight, the Capt. and Tennile's Love Will Keep Us Together, and Devo's Gut Feeling/ Slap Your Mammy.

That Whiskeytown show at the Fillmore where Ryan Adams started throwing around equipments the sound guy would not give him enough monitor, stage hands came on and fisticuffs ensued, band slipped out trying to be stealthy, headed to John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom Room which had been called by the Fillmore, so the band were chased out and down the street. Last I saw them they were sitting on someone's house steps a block or two away.

'07 Pitchfork festival where the small space for Dan Deacon could not withstand that many gyrating people and the chain link barrier went flying across two lanes of open road, Yoko Ono played with Thurston Moore, and I saw The Twilight Sad and Deerhunter for the first time.

Son Volt at the 40 Watt with Michael Stipe and Vic Chesnutt in attendance.

REM free show in downtown Toronto was pretty magical. The night before Scott McCaughey had fallen off the back of the stage when he decided to join Alejandro Escovedo on stage at the Horseshoe Tavern. Think Richard Buckner was the opener.

REM in Page, Prince in Greensboro, Flat Duo Jets in some East campus dorm commons space, Psychedelic Furs front row Page, SCOTS at the Downunder on East, Smithereens in Baldwin, and yeh, that Clapton show in Cameron!

Tom Petty and the Replacements in Jacksonville was just plain weird and so poorly attended but loved it just the same. Tom Petty and the HB on Southern Accents tour at the Omni. TP and the HB on the Rock and Roll Caravan tour at Merriweather Post. They covered the Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go on that tour.

Can't leave out Bon Jovi opening for the Scorpions in Charlotte, Loverboy In Greenville, SC, and Cheap Trick '81 in Charlotte. Rick Nielsen and Bun E. Carlos were on fire.

Wavefest '97 with Blue Mtn, Jayhawks, Son Volt, Wilco, Cracker, David Byrne et al.

Good times.

Summer of 1969

Living in Cambridge, MA. In 8 days I saw Jefferson Airplane play the longest set ever at the Fillmore East on Saturday. On Tuesday Jefferson Airplane and The Who outdoors at Tanglewood, MA. And then Thursday-Saturday at Woodstock Festival (Bethel NY). Left for Cambridge on Sunday the back way in my car and missed the rain.

Parliament Funkadelic seven times in crowds of 600-20,000.

See them. They are always fun.

Completely left off Lenny Kravitz joint Jimmy Buffet on stage at Jazzfest. No one saw that coming.

I saw Warren Zevon at The Cat's Cradle. Also David Byrne at the Carolina Theater in Durham, and John Prine in Page.

Concerts I can still recall attending, by performers whose names might still be recognized by some readers here:

Allman Brothers Band
    Beach Boys
    Ben Folds Five
    Bo Diddley
    Bob Dylan (with the Rolling Thunder Review, including Joan Baez and Roger McGuinn, at Florida Field)
    Buffalo Springfield
    Byrds (at the Fillmore East)
    Creedence Clearwater Revival (at the Fillmore East)
    Dave Brubeck Quartet
    Doobie Brothers
    Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts
    Eric Clapton
    Fontella Bass
    Four Seasons
    Four Tops
    Grateful Dead (in Louisville, 1974))
    Jewel
    Jimmy Buffett
    Joan Baez (on the quad at Duke, performing before a speech by her husband, David Harris)
    Joe Tex (at the Stallion Club in Durham)
    Leo Kottke (twice, in Tallahassee and at Cat’s Cradle in Chapel Hill)
    Lucinda Williams
    Martha and the Vandellas (at Duke Indoor Stadium)
    Marvin Gaye (at Duke Indoor Stadium)
    Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs
    Melissa Manchester
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels (at Duke Indoor Stadium)
    Neil Young (with Crazy Horse three times, and with the Greendale Tour)
    Pretenders
    Procol Harem (at the Fillmore East)
    Pure Prairie League
    Richie Havens
    Righteous Brothers (at Duke Indoor Stadium)
    Rolling Stones (at Florida Field)
    Showmen
    Sly and the Family Stone
    Spanky and Our Gang
    Squirrel Nut Zippers
    Strawberry Alarm Clock
    Steely Dan
    Steven Stills with Manassas
    Taj Mahal
    Tams
    Temptations
    War

I'm sure I've forgotten a few -- a lot of those memories are, understandably, rather hazy.
    My greatest regrets for having missed seeing them live: CSN(Y), Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and most of all, J.J. Cale.
    Worst live performance: Righteous Brothers
    Most cherished concert memory: Arthur Rubinstein.

Small Venues

I also prefer small venues. Tops of the tiny venue concerts for me was probably Alejandro Escoveda in the late 90s with a few dozen people at a house concert in Chapel Hill.
    Yes, I've only gone to small venues for the last 10 years or so. Some of the best shows I've seen in small venues were at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, including Richard Thompson (solo), Lucinda Williams, a few months before she released Car Wheels, Steve Earle with Buddy and Julie Miller, and Steve Earle with the Del McCoury Band.

Bruce Cockburn at one of the smaller stages at Wolf Trap, in Vienna, VA.

And then there are the shows by lesser known artists at really small venues, like 50 or so people on a busy night, and 10 on other nights. For example, Gurf Morlix, Amelia White, and Mary Battiata and Little Pink, all at Hill Country BBQ in downtown DC.

Will be great when we can go to live music again.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Yes, I've only gone to small venues for the last 10 years or so. Some of the best shows I've seen in small venues were at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, including Richard Thompson (solo), Lucinda Williams, a few months before she released Car Wheels, Steve Earle with Buddy and Julie Miller, and Steve Earle with the Del McCoury Band.

Bruce Cockburn at one of the smaller stages at Wolf Trap, in Vienna, VA.

And then there are the shows by lesser known artists at really small venues, like 50 or so people on a busy night, and 10 on other nights. For example, Gurf Morlix, Amelia White, and Mary Battiata and Little Pink, all at Hill Country BBQ in downtown DC.

Will be great when we can go to live music again.
    Richard Thompson is my favorite musician. Have seen him more than a half dozen times in a variety of settings, with and without a band, and he always delivers. Also enjoyed seeing Earl and Williams a couple of times each. Bbq and good music must be hard to beat.

Richard Thompson is my favorite musician. Have seen him more than a half dozen times in a variety of settings, with and without a band, and he always delivers. Also enjoyed seeing Earl and Williams a couple of times each. Bbq and good music must be hard to beat.
    I saw a triple bill of Kasey Chambers, Richard Thompson, and Lucinda Williams at Wolf Trap. It was quite a show. I think it was shortly after Lucinda released Essence.