Page 785 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 28568573577578378478578678779583588512851785 ... LastLast
Results 15,681 to 15,700 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    I was rejected by the school that I have wanted to go to my whole life. I really thought that I had a good chance to get in. I really don't want to be here for a while.

Goodbye, not forever, but at least for a while.
    Sorry to hear this. Best of luck with the regular decision schools.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Finals. Are. OVER.

I am now halfway done with law school.

Congrats!!

(And where did the time go? If anyone had asked, I would have sworn you were still 1L.)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Congrats!!

(And where did the time go? If anyone had asked, I would have sworn you were still 1L.)
    Goodness DA, bite your tongue! Still a 1L. Nooooooooooo. That was a LIFETIME ago.

Poor Gandolfini...damn.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Goodness DA, bite your tongue! Still a 1L. Nooooooooooo. That was a LIFETIME ago.
    Scare
    Work
    Bore

Half way through the litany.

And, btw, Socrates is still dead.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Scare
    Work
    Bore
    That's what I keep reminding myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post

Best Supporting Actor (also might be best grouping ever)

Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
    Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
    Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
    James Gandolfini, Enough Said
    Daniel Bruel, Rush

Better than last year's slate of Best Supporting Actor nominees for the Oscars (Christoph Walz, Alan Arkin, Robert DeNiro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Tommy Lee Jones)? Tough to top a group in which four of the five nominees are prior winners.

Among the actresses -- is this the year that Amy Adams finally breaks through? She's now got a combined 15 Oscar, Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA nominations, with zero wins so far. Seems like the major awards have been orbiting around her for some time -- does one (or more) land this year?

Saw Nebraska last night. Bruce Dern is, as all the critics seem to be saying, stunningly good.
    It's a he-double-stix of a movie. Very moving, dark and funny.
    Anybody who has ever been a parent or a child of a parent will be affected by seeing it.
    WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    No. I may try to transfer in the future, but there is no way that I could be accepted for next year. After tonight, I will not come here for a while, but I will always miss it here.

By the way, how do I remove my signature?
    Oh matt! Don't go away forever! I know it hurts now, of course it does, but you're still part of THIS team.

Wherever you end up, that school is going to be very lucky to get you! College is such a short blip on your personal lifeline.
    Chins up!

This continued discussion of quality in films gets so tiresome. That's not how you measure a film. If someone could line up these nominees by order of box office, that would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Better than last year's slate of Best Supporting Actor nominees for the Oscars (Christoph Walz, Alan Arkin, Robert DeNiro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Tommy Lee Jones)? Tough to top a group in which four of the five nominees are prior winners.
    All five were prior winners, which of course is impossible to top.

I feel more and more disconnected from this awards thing. Every year is pretty much the same; I don't see anything particularly special about this year, aside from the 3-5 expected nominations of minority actors. The only interesting subplot there is how the most likely nominees -- Ejiofor, Abdi, Nyongo -- are not American, and whether Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey can parlay their SAG nominations into sneaking in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

All five were prior winners, which of course is impossible to top.

You're right -- I had a brain freeze on Alan Arkin. Forgot about Little Miss Sunshine.

I figured it's time I contribute to this thread...

Today I exercised my 5th amendment at a DUI checkpoint in my hometown of Asheville, NC. I was on my way home tonight around 10:30 and drove into a checkpoint. The officer was very polite and asked for my license, so I handed him my license to cooperate with the law. He then asked me where I was going and I answered with a simple "I don't answer any questions". He followed by asking if I had anything to drink tonight, and I gave him the same short answers in a very respectful manner. The officer then gave me my license back and told me to have a nice night, I replied with a sincere "be safe".

Some may think this was silly or unnecessary, but I don't see it that way. These officers were doing their job, but at NO time should you ever surrender your rights. I had nothing to drink and nothing to lie about, but decided to plead the fifth. Curiosity of how it would be handled by the Asheville Police Department was one reason, but I also wanted them to know that at least SOMEBODY that they stopped knew their rights, and used them.

Has anyone else attempted this before? Or does everyone throw their rights away?

Not Movie related but Golden Globe related:

Tatiana Maslany finally gets an award nomination for Orphan Black. !!! Her performance is one of the best I've seen in TV in years.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I figured it's time I contribute to this thread...

Today I exercised my 5th amendment at a DUI checkpoint in my hometown of Asheville, NC. I was on my way home tonight around 10:30 and drove into a checkpoint. The officer was very polite and asked for my license, so I handed him my license to cooperate with the law. He then asked me where I was going and I answered with a simple "I don't answer any questions". He followed by asking if I had anything to drink tonight, and I gave him the same short answers in a very respectful manner. The officer then gave me my license back and told me to have a nice night, I replied with a sincere "be safe".

Some may think this was silly or unnecessary, but I don't see it that way. These officers were doing their job, but at NO time should you ever surrender your rights. I had nothing to drink and nothing to lie about, but decided to plead the fifth. Curiosity of how it would be handled by the Asheville Police Department was one reason, but I also wanted them to know that at least SOMEBODY that they stopped knew their rights, and used them.

Has anyone else attempted this before? Or does everyone throw their rights away?
    I've never been stopped at a DUI checkpoint, but I enjoyed reading your post.

We are playing dirty Santa at work (15 dollar limit), and the only thing I can think of is a gift card. I'm thinking about hiding movie tickets inside of a framed, autographed head shot of yours truly .

Anyone else playing?

We are playing dirty Santa at work (15 dollar limit), and the only thing I can think of is a gift card. I'm thinking about hiding movie tickets inside of a framed, autographed head shot of yours truly .

Anyone else playing?
    We do this at one of my client's Christmas parties. I've seen a variety of things over the years - miniature chocolate liquor bottles, a kit to turn your car into Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, scratchoff lottery tickets, chocolate, beer steins, coasters, bottle of wine, and ove' glove, etc. It is always hard to tell from the beginning which item will bet the most frequently stolen but it is always fun. We just raised the limit from $10 to $15 this year so will see what we get. I'm going with homemade brownies, a mechanical pencil (I just discovered a new one that I love!), a fiber optic Christmas tree powered through a USB port.

Anyone else playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    We do this at one of my client's Christmas parties. I've seen a variety of things over the years - scratchoff lottery tickets
    I was going to suggest some Mega Millions tickets if you're in/near a participating state.

I was going to suggest some Mega Millions tickets if you're in/near a participating state.
    I bought mine already. When I win, I'll buy a round for the house.

In the mean time, I'm getting my $1's worth of entertainment by thinking about all the fun things I will be able to do with it. The best part is thinking about what charities I will help. And season bball tickets. And retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I bought mine already. When I win, I'll buy a round for the house.

In the mean time, I'm getting my $1's worth of entertainment by thinking about all the fun things I will be able to do with it. The best part is thinking about what charities I will help. And season bball tickets. And retirement.
    When I win, I will do two things:

1. Buy each and every ticket to each and every UNC home game next year.

2. Not attend a single game, just burn all the tickets over the summer. Leave the entire place empty.

Worth. Every. Penny.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When I win, I will do two things:

1. Buy each and every ticket to each and every UNC home game next year.

2. Not attend a single game, just burn all the tickets over the summer. Leave the entire place empty.

Worth. Every. Penny.
    Only next year?