Page 2007 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 100715071907195719972005200620072008200920172057210725073007 ... LastLast
Results 40,121 to 40,140 of 67393
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Smell and songs. I can listen to random old songs when they pop up on the radio from 25 years ago and they can cause pretty impressive memory flashbacks with intense emotional responses depending on the association.
    The Duke grad with whom I travel to football games has a very special skill along these lines: when a song comes up from let's say the sixties that we both easily recognize, he can pinpoint the year and season that it came out, e.g. Spring of 1964...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Duke grad with whom I travel to football games has a very special skill along these lines: when a song comes up from let's say the sixties that we both easily recognize, he can pinpoint the year and season that it came out, e.g. Spring of 1964...
    I have been called a walking iMDb. I can watch a movie and tell you in which episode of Law & Order a background actor appeared. I also once recognized an overweight, balding Jeopardy contestant as a former child actor (the fact that he was a former child actor did NOT come up in the chat with Alex).

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I have been called a walking iMDb. I can watch a movie and tell you in which episode of Law & Order a background actor appeared. I also once recognized an overweight, balding Jeopardy contestant as a former child actor (the fact that he was a former child actor did NOT come up in the chat with Alex).
    brains are funny things, eh? I can often recall some minor factoid from 50 years ago, but not what I had for dinner last night, the perils of short term memory!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    Are they successful too... albeit with a differing approach?

As their supervisor, are you responsible for their success? Accountable - i.e. graded yourself on their performance?
    There are varying degrees of success using the same approach. There are 5 territories and the other 4 were all hired at the same time and this is the only job in industry any of them have ever had. There is a TON of ideological purity among the group. The Northeast territory has performed almost as well as mine has. He was the person I emulated when I came on board because his territory was the highest producing. I operated the same exact way that they do for the first two years and finished behind him, but in second both of my first two years. This said to me that I had the binary choice of being happy with that or changing it up to see if that made a difference. I completely changed my approach and I have trounced him soundly three of the last four years and finished slightly behind him the other year. And I'm well ahead this year although I will be transitioning soon. I do think they are a bit bewildered by the fact that I changed my approach. They have expressed this to my boss on numerous occasions.

I have this same skill set Aimo. Perhaps we aren't so dissimilar after all. So THIS is what it sounds like when doves cry.

Heading to finally get my first vaccine shot.

I've always been amused by the 40 second banter between game show hosts and the contestants. It's the most banal thing on the planet, and requires the host to feign interest in the most dull things. Examples (completely made up, but almost certainly real);

So, it says here you have two dogs? What's that like?

My card here says you work in a school? Tell us more about that!

You grew up in Des Moines? Tell me what that was like.

Great news! Take the day off after jab #2.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I've always been amused by the 40 second banter between game show hosts and the contestants. It's the most banal thing on the planet, and requires the host to feign interest in the most dull things. Examples (completely made up, but almost certainly real);

So, it says here you have two dogs? What's that like?

My card here says you work in a school? Tell us more about that!

You grew up in Des Moines? Tell me what that was like.
    Well, Regis asked me to say "I love you" in Turkish, Czech, and Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Well, Regis asked me to say "I love you" in Turkish, Czech, and Russian.
    You should have told him you could do that, but you didn't want to rush things with him and weren't comfortable saying it until you actually felt it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Great news! Take the day off after jab #2.
    Yeah. I have meetings today I assume I can keep.

I’ve blocked my calendar after the second one.

They’re doing a steady business here in SE PA.

I’m pretty low on the priority list so relieved to start process. Got ever so gently emotional, TBH. We’re still not getting crystal clear guidance for my pregnant wife since the trials were t specifically conducted on that population. So, no behavior changes in sight for us.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I just had a Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale as a reward for not punching my coworkers. Looking up pink boxing gloves.
    Glad you are supporting the local brewery - local to me, that is.

Congratulations!

It is starting to feel normal to tell someone congratulations on getting a shot. I wish we hadn't come to this. In other words, I wish there had been no pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Congratulations!

It is starting to feel normal to tell someone congratulations on getting a shot. I wish we hadn't come to this. In other words, I wish there had been no pandemic.
    Thanks. It really does feel like an event.

It’s been a messy, whole world problem. Not too many of those so it does feel significant to get vaccinated.

…Got ever so gently emotional, TBH...
    I got not at all gently emotional (subtlety isn’t generally my strong suit, especially with regard to emotional expression). I’m talking heave sobbing in my truck before I could pull out of the parking lot.

I got not at all gently emotional (subtlety isn’t generally my strong suit, especially with regard to emotional expression). I’m talking heave sobbing in my truck before I could pull out of the parking lot.
    I get it man. I do that at BBQ restaurants sometimes. Turn on a little classic country, take my shirt off and sit in my truck and cry a little bit.

I get it man. I do that at BBQ restaurants sometimes. Turn on a little classic country, take my shirt off and sit in my truck and cry a little bit.
    Interesting that you should mention the country music part. On the day I got my first Covid shot, I got back in my truck and fired up my "feel good" playlist...the one I turn to when I'm feeling happy/relaxed/celebratory/etc. Out of like 9 hours of music, shuffled completely at random, this song came up and I just went to pieces:

Interesting that you should mention the country music part. On the day I got my first Covid shot, I got back in my truck and fired up my "feel good" playlist...the one I turn to when I'm feeling happy/relaxed/celebratory/etc. Out of like 9 hours of music, shuffled completely at random, this song came up and I just went to pieces:

...and then I listened to that song while watching my 7th graders play kickball on the field and make sidewalk chalk art on the sidewalk on an achingly beautiful Georgia May day, and there went the waterworks again.
    I always get a little leaky at this time of year, but it's particularly pronounced this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    But how many notes did it take him to name that tune?

I have this same skill set Aimo. Perhaps we aren't so dissimilar after all. So THIS is what it sounds like when doves cry.
    Them's fightin' words!