Nation's winningest football coach, John McKissick, dead at 93

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28183582/nation-winningest-football-coach-john-mckissick-dead-93

SUMMERVILLE, S.C. -- John McKissick, whose 621 victories at South Carolina's Summerville High made him the nation's winningest football coach at any level, has died at age 93.

While i realize most of you this probably doesnt mean to much.this man was my coach in highschool.
    Though i only talked to him in passing.he ment a lot to me and hundreds if not a thousand or more youngmen.we had teams of 110 players . This
    Absolutely tears at my heart .ill miss him.
    My wife doesnt get it.not how this should have ended for him.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28183582/nation-winningest-football-coach-john-mckissick-dead-93

SUMMERVILLE, S.C. -- John McKissick, whose 621 victories at South Carolina's Summerville High made him the nation's winningest football coach at any level, has died at age 93.

While i realize most of you this probably doesnt mean to much.this man was my coach in highschool.
    Though i only talked to him in passing.he ment a lot to me and hundreds if not a thousand or more youngmen.we had teams of 110 players . This
    Absolutely tears at my heart .ill miss him.
    My wife doesnt get it.not how this should have ended for him.
    Sorry about this loss for you, and the many young men that no doubt feel the same. 93 is a full life. That doesn’t make it easier, of course, but he fought the good fight.

Peace to you.

We played against Summerville every year way back then. Tough, well-coached team with a great youth program. He was a legend fifty years ago.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We played against Summerville every year way back then. Tough, well-coached team with a great youth program. He was a legend fifty years ago.
    I covered high school football in SC for a number of years, and was in fact "the voice of" the Camden Bulldogs and Lugoff Elgin Demons for a while. The Green Wave of Summerville was SC HSs equivalent of Alabama. Historic program. I'd no idea McKissick was the winningest coach ever in FB at any level...but I'm not surprised in retrospect.

Great long journey. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I covered high school football in SC for a number of years, and was in fact "the voice of" the Camden Bulldogs and Lugoff Elgin Demons for a while. The Green Wave of Summerville was SC HSs equivalent of Alabama. Historic program. I'd no idea McKissick was the winningest coach ever in FB at any level...but I'm not surprised in retrospect.

Great long journey. RIP.
    I raised my kids in Summerville and only moved away last May. McKissick was indeed a legend. Alas SUMMERVILLE HS is now what Alabama would be if 3 other new AL state schools popped up, in addition to Auburn, and AL was required to split their football talent equally four ways. They’re not even the best program in Dorchester County anymore. The only Greenwave game I attended was the state championship loss to Byrnes in 2007 which was AJ Green’s senior year. AJ was also a great HS hoops player btw and the Greenwave Basketball team did win the state championship AJ’s senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I raised my kids in Summerville and only moved away last May. McKissick was indeed a legend. Alas SUMMERVILLE HS is now what Alabama would be if 3 other new AL state schools popped up, in addition to Auburn, and AL was required to split their football talent equally four ways. They’re not even the best program in Dorchester County anymore. The only Greenwave game I attended was the state championship loss to Byrnes in 2007 which was AJ Green’s senior year. AJ was also a great HS hoops player btw and the Greenwave Basketball team did win the state championship AJ’s senior year.
    I too attended the 2007 byrnes game .byrnes wss a whole different animal. My son is a sophmore on the best team in the county will return for two more seasons.alongside his two sophmore buddies and freshman qb.all are 6ft3 or4 except 5ft10 center hes 270