Page 2924 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1924242428242874291429222923292429252926293429743024 ... LastLast
Results 58,461 to 58,480 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Liar!
    No, it’s true. I’m too fond of turkey for that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No, it’s true. I’m too fond of turkey for that.
    Zing!

Didn't want to take another thread further down a bizarre tangent so I am saying it here:
    1. Totally with you, Aimo, regarding coed and not giving a rat's heinie!

2. I find mispronouncing someone's name way more offensive than another poster did. But also agree that if the owner of the name doesn't care then let it go but say it right yourself.

3. I always said it didn't bother me if someone misspelled my name since it isn't unusual to have it misspelled. I did discover that it is only true with my last name. Someone was consistently spelling my first name wrong and it annoyed the heck out of me. I didn't call her on it - just kept spelling it correctly in any correspondence with her.

I thought “unclench” was a micro-aggression against the incontinent tbh.

But I only got involved in that whole thing because I thought the shade thrown at the poster using the term “co-ed” was unnecessarily disrespectful. Which makes the whole subsequent discussion of “disrespecting” language even more ironic for me.

But I like all the posters involved, and I respect that they have different views. I am glad to see that you and Aimo agree with me, and that I am not being a total cretin.

Half-cretin is my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I thought “unclench” was a micro-aggression against the incontinent tbh.

But I only got involved in that whole thing because I thought the shade thrown at the poster using the term “co-ed” was unnecessarily disrespectful. Which makes the whole subsequent discussion of “disrespecting” language even more ironic for me.

But I like all the posters involved, and I respect that they have different views. I am glad to see that you and Aimo agree with me, and that I am not being a total cretin.

Half-cretin is my goal.
    Hanging out with half-cretins is my goal so we are good.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    “We go together like mashed potatoes and gravy.”

I've been hanging out with half cretins all my life!

Reminds me of my favorite Ron Swanson quotes - never half-a** two things. Whole whole a** one thing.

Nick Offerman sure is having a moment right now

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Reminds me of my favorite Ron Swanson quotes - never half-a** two things. Whole whole a** one thing.

Nick Offerman sure is having a moment right now
    That was an entirely unexpected appearance on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That was an entirely unexpected appearance on Sunday.
    Having played the game, I was slightly less surprised than some. Very impressive turn for Offerman.

Didn't want to take another thread further down a bizarre tangent so I am saying it here:
    1. Totally with you, Aimo, regarding coed and not giving a rat's heinie!

2. I find mispronouncing someone's name way more offensive than another poster did. But also agree that if the owner of the name doesn't care then let it go but say it right yourself.

3. I always said it didn't bother me if someone misspelled my name since it isn't unusual to have it misspelled. I did discover that it is only true with my last name. Someone was consistently spelling my first name wrong and it annoyed the heck out of me. I didn't call her on it - just kept spelling it correctly in any correspondence with her.
    Caught up on the other thread. It took a turn when that person said they have no intention of using the preferred vernacular. It was absolutely not a big deal until that person made it a big deal. My 21 year old daughter would think: "Ok boomer" if she heard coed used. Wouldn't say anything and would forget about it. But that micro-aggression loses the qualifier "micro" when you can't just say that you didn't know and stop using it. His response was the most mwg statement ever. But it's why they are mwgs.

Okay, this mid Gen X'er is happy to br over here on the OT board.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    br
    Bedroom?

Are Gen Xers the ones who don't do anything but complain a lot, or am I confusing them with another Gen?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Are Gen Xers the ones who don't do anything but complain a lot, or am I confusing them with another Gen?
    I think that's all of them actually. Just all complain about different things.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Caught up on the other thread. It took a turn when that person said they have no intention of using the preferred vernacular. It was absolutely not a big deal until that person made it a big deal. My 21 year old daughter would think: "Ok boomer" if she heard coed used. Wouldn't say anything and would forget about it. But that micro-aggression loses the qualifier "micro" when you can't just say that you didn't know and stop using it. His response was the most mwg statement ever. But it's why they are mwgs.
    In fairness, he did approximate a mea culpa later. Still a little bit snarky in tone, but he at least took responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    In fairness, he did approximate a mea culpa later. Still a little bit snarky in tone, but he at least took responsibility.
    Did he? Or did he go with the "I'm sorry you got your little feelings hurt" apology? I'm not a female but I am mediocre. I don't get to decide what is and isn't offensive. It never would have occurred to me that that word was offensive. What annoys me is someone just as mediocre as I am doubling down on something that other people might find offensive. If you want to make the point that we find too many things offensive. That's absolutely fine. People get to feel how they want to. People get to say what they want to. People get to find offense or not. I have a deep vein of don't care about this stuff honestly. But it's so easy to take responsibility and that dude didn't. That annoyed me.

I mean, I wasn't meaning to call out the term "coed" in any way, but more to have a discussion about if claiming ignorance gets someone off the hook for using an offensive term.

Sure, as a kid maybe you use words that you don't understand and that's how you learn. I don't think that most adults in most situations can say "well, I didn't know people got offended by THAT word" and skate.

Additionally, I've always held that I don't get to determine what other people should or should not be offended by. Let folks decide for themselves and tell us, we can all try to act respectfully. It literally doesn't cost anyone anything.

I look at it like when you meet someone and they say "hey, I'm Richard but call me Rick." Okay. Cool. I'm not going to spend my time and energy trying to convince you to go by Richard, I'll just do my best to call you Rick.

I didn't mean it to transform into a discussion of sensitivity and snowflakes and PCism, but here we are.

Signing Day tomorrow.

Pitchers and Catchers start reporting February 13.

I’m betting the groundhog does not see his shadow. Bring on spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I mean, I wasn't meaning to call out the term "coed" in any way, but more to have a discussion about if claiming ignorance gets someone off the hook for using an offensive term.

Sure, as a kid maybe you use words that you don't understand and that's how you learn. I don't think that most adults in most situations can say "well, I didn't know people got offended by THAT word" and skate.

Additionally, I've always held that I don't get to determine what other people should or should not be offended by. Let folks decide for themselves and tell us, we can all try to act respectfully. It literally doesn't cost anyone anything.

I look at it like when you meet someone and they say "hey, I'm Richard but call me Rick." Okay. Cool. I'm not going to spend my time and energy trying to convince you to go by Richard, I'll just do my best to call you Rick.

I didn't mean it to transform into a discussion of sensitivity and snowflakes and PCism, but here we are.
    What's funny is it so easy to lie in that situation. You can pretend that you care or you can even just shut up about it. It's defending it that annoys the piss out of me. I literally don't care if he feels bad or not. I don't care who finds it offensive or not. None of that matters in this scenario. It was purely his response that annoyed me. I've misgendered people, I have used the incorrect nomenclature about different races and ethnic groups. I've done all of those things. I try to be better than that but I sure as hell don't double down on it. That I don't do.