Page 3007 of 3385 FirstFirst ... 2007250729072957299730053006300730083009301730573107 ... LastLast
Results 60,121 to 60,140 of 67681
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I have 10 more "thanks, but no thanks" emails to send out to actors who were not cast. Hardest part of directing. I hate it.
    And done. Whew. More than one of the "thanks, but no thanks" actors got back to me saying that even though they didn't get a part, they were encouraged by my kind words, so, score!

I have 10 more "thanks, but no thanks" emails to send out to actors who were not cast. Hardest part of directing. I hate it.
    How many PMs will you have to send when we all fail the knitting quiz? Those are going to be really awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    be sure to pull the dead mouse out first.
    This one is pristine...this will be an award winning car when it is done.

Bostondevil's LTE Knitting Quiz (answers to all questions have been previously posted by Bostondevil in this thread.)

1) What is the difference between knitting needle sizes in the US versus the UK?
    2) In knitting terminology, what do the following terms mean: SABLE, Tink, Frogging, the Boyfriend Curse?
    3) What is the name of the website where all the knitters congregate to share their collective knowledge?
    4) What are the three kinds of knitting needles?
    5) What kind of knitting needles are typically used to knit socks?
    6) Name one person who is famous for knitting.
    7a) When the US Olympic Committee sued knitters for engaging in an activity known as the Knitting Olympics, what was the response of the knitters?
    7b) What were the rules of the Knitting Olympics?

Bonus Question (I think I've posted the answer to this but I'm not positive): On the knitting website that is the answer to question 3, there is a much, much, much longer thread than the LTE but with a similar goal called The Very Longest Thread. What is that thread's nickname?
    1) US sizes, the smaller the number the smaller the needle, UK the smaller the number the larger the needle
    2) SABLE - stash acquisition beyond life expectancy (a knitter's stash is yarn that has been purchased but not yet knit into something). Tink - pulling out knitting after the discovery of a mistake (it's knit spelled backwards), Frogging - also means pulling out knitting after the discovery of a mistake (because you have rip it, rip it, rip it back), The Boyfriend Curse is a superstition among knitters that knitting a sweater for a romantic partner before the relationship is made permanent will cause them to break up with you
    3) Ravelry
    4) circular, straight, double-pointed (or double-ended)
    5) double-pointed
    6) Kaffe Fasset, Lily Chin, Elizabeth Zimmerman, Franklin Habit, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, among others, perhaps including me, in certain circles
    7a) They threatened to go public with a boycott of all Olympic broadcasts. The USOC backed down. Knitters for the win. That said, the knitters on Ravelry changed the name of the event to the Ravellenics anyway.
    7b) The Knitting Olympics was the brainchild of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the Yarn Harlot. She came up with an idea on her blog that it might be a fun challenge to try to knit a complete project during the Winter Olympics. Everyone was supposed to cast on while watching the Opening Ceremonies and have the project completely finished by the Closing Ceremonies. (Completely finished meant not just off the needles but sewn together AND blocked. BD thought the blocking requirement was a bit much and felt sewn together was sufficient.) The idea took off with teams being formed on Ravelry, Cast On with the Opening Ceremonies parties planned, some groups had medals, t-shirts, and badges made up for finishers. It was a big, big deal. All centered on knitting while watching the Olympics on TV, ads included. The USOC was being a big bully.

Bonus: The Very Longest Thread is nicknamed Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I have an 8 track player for my '72 Buick. Haven't tested it yet to see if it works.
    I can also loan you Elvis, Willie Nelson, and Maureen McGovern.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

Is this a break it you buy it situation?

And I can't believe in that word game thread, I missed only 4 letters and they were aimo. (am, o, i in that order).

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Is this a break it you buy it situation?

And I can't believe in that word game thread, I missed only 4 letters and they were aimo. (am, o, i in that order).
    Yes.

and en francais, a moi means MINE. Just throwing that out there since I don't get to use my French minor often, usually just while watching Jeopardy!

I can throw in ABBA...really. My parents had a van with an 8-track plus a stereo with it at home.

Bonus: The Very Longest Thread is nicknamed Fred.
    They spelled it wrong, but I approve anyway.

CNN has a tracker if you want to follow the former President's plane enroute to NY. Nothing to do with Trump, but can we mark today as the day that cable news debased itself beyond all redemption?

1) What is the difference between knitting needle sizes in the US versus the UK?
    2) In knitting terminology, what do the following terms mean: SABLE, Tink, Frogging, the Boyfriend Curse?
    3) What is the name of the website where all the knitters congregate to share their collective knowledge?
    4) What are the three kinds of knitting needles?
    5) What kind of knitting needles are typically used to knit socks?
    6) Name one person who is famous for knitting.
    7a) When the US Olympic Committee sued knitters for engaging in an activity known as the Knitting Olympics, what was the response of the knitters?
    7b) What were the rules of the Knitting Olympics?
    According to ChatGPT, the answers are:

1. In the US, knitting needles are sized based on numbers, with smaller numbers indicating smaller needles. In the UK, knitting needles are sized based on the diameter of the needle in millimeters, with larger numbers indicating larger needles.
    2. SABLE stands for "Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy," which is a humorous way of describing a large collection of yarn. Tink is the word "knit" spelled backward, and it means to undo one stitch at a time. Frogging refers to the act of unraveling a section of knitting. The Boyfriend Curse is a superstition that if a knitter knits a sweater for her boyfriend, the relationship will end soon after.
    3. Ravelry is a popular website where knitters and crocheters can connect, share patterns, and discuss their craft.
    4. The three types of knitting needles are straight, circular, and double-pointed.
    5. Double-pointed needles, or DPNs, are typically used to knit socks, although circular needles can also be used.
    6. Elizabeth Zimmermann is a famous knitting designer and author who is credited with revolutionizing the modern practice of knitting.

7a) The knitters responded with outrage, organizing a social media campaign under the hashtag #Ravelympics to protest the USOC's action.

7b) The Knitting Olympics were an informal online event in which knitters challenged themselves to complete a knitting project during the two weeks of the Winter Olympics. There were no official rules or prizes, but participants often shared their progress and finished projects on social media.

What's its grade, BD?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    CNN has a tracker if you want to follow the former President's plane enroute to NY. Nothing to do with Trump, but can we mark today as the day that cable news debased itself beyond all redemption?
    I’m not sure today would be my choice. Why today?

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post

What's its grade, BD?

This is brilliant! And frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post

What's its grade, BD?
    Tinking and Frogging are more synonymous than those definitions. Knitters tend to have their preferred term although you would never tink a whole project but you might frog one.

The Knitting Olympics, later Ravellenics, did have official rules. There were also teams that formed where prizes were involved but there was no centralized body that gave out prizes.

I'd have to take a couple of points off, so not 100%, but still an A.

Yes.

I can't take that kind of risk.

and en francais, a moi means MINE. Just throwing that out there since I don't get to use my French minor often, usually just while watching Jeopardy!
    I only speak English. Understand some German and Portuguese but only enough to recognize if someone is talking about me.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 04-03-2023 at 05:56 PM.

Sushi. Sapporo. Succession.

I watched 15 minutes of the game last night. Watched the entire women's game, but not even half of the men's game. I am not in the camp who think this Final Four is good for the game. Kt was won by a blue blood, but it was a vastly watered-down product.

Watched 0 minutes of the game last night. I’m guessing that the ratings will be low, and I’m happy to be a very small part of the reason why.

Air conditioner weather; and I watched zero of the game last night.

In a year full of upsets, UConn wins. How boring and anticlimactic. I didn't watch it either.