Page 2991 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1991249128912941298129892990299129922993300130413091 ... LastLast
Results 59,801 to 59,820 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ha, farmers like it mostly so it's done with...can't plow the fields when they have two feet of mud...miserable time of year but the days are getting longer and the sap is running so there is fresh syrup to be had...
    Seeing the syrup gathering operation is really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I think this is seriously cool, personally. My philosophy when it comes to spiders has always been to live and let live, but I don't need to cohabit with them and most spiders are too difficult to remove using humane methods. Also, I draw the line at anything dangerous. I'm not going to leave a Black Widow hanging around anywhere near. But I love to watch spiders. It's like watching aliens. I wouldn't say I love spiders, but I certainly admire them.

I can relate to the phobia thing, though. I went to the desert southwest a few years ago, and I have a heck of time with some of those drop-offs. Not quite as bad as my son, who couldn't even approach some of the fenced-in overlooks, but I've had a few more years than he has to practice using my intellect to overcome the sheer terror. But any drop-off without the fence, and I'm staying several body lengths away. Love the view. Can't stand the height. It was totally bizarre to see some people dangling their legs over the edge of a multi-thousand-foot cliff. There's no way in hell.
    Scorpions are fun, too. At Boy Scout camp in the Texas scrub we put a very lifelike scorpion in the sleeping bag of one of the guys. It had its intended effect. Later, that same boy had to have a tick removed from his unmentionables. I hope he’s doing well but I doubt he enjoys the outdoors much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    At Boy Scout camp in the Texas scrub we put a very lifelike scorpion in the sleeping bag of one of the guys. It had its intended effect.
    Children are brutal
    (I'm assuming you weren't the scout master)
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Children are brutal
    (I'm assuming you weren't the scout master)
    No. I was a kid. And, yeah, a bunch of 10 year olds running around the Texas scrub was not a great place for civility.

No. I was a kid. And, yeah, a bunch of 10 year olds running around the Texas scrub was not a great place for civility.
    Lord of the Flies!

Later, that same boy had to have a tick removed from his unmentionables.
    I can empathize. I was left out in the woods for my Order of the Arrow ordeal. I went to the ER a couple days later due to ummm, unusual swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I can empathize. I was left out in the woods for my Order of the Arrow ordeal. I went to the ER a couple days later due to ummm, unusual swelling.
    Yeah, chiggers. Been there before.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Yeah, chiggers. Been there before.
    Oof. I worked IN the Duke forest one summer. Chiggers from my ankles to my nipples. AWFUL!

Also, they upchuck enzymes into your skin to tenderize the meat then eat the leftovers. That’s what chiggers actually do.

Basketball season is over.

Oof. I worked IN the Duke forest one summer. Turkey eaters from my ankles to my nipples. AWFUL!

Also, they upchuck enzymes into your skin to tenderize the meat then eat the leftovers. That’s what turkey eaters actually do.
    FIFY.

I leave for Spring Break in the islands in 8 days, and oh boy, am I getting the fever.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I leave for Spring Break in the islands in 8 days, and oh boy, am I getting the fever.
    Nice! Which islands?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Nice! Which islands?
    The Keys. One of my magic spots.
    I intend to die having been down there dozens of times.

Oof. I worked IN the Duke forest one summer. Chiggers from my ankles to my nipples. AWFUL!

Also, they upchuck enzymes into your skin to tenderize the meat then eat the leftovers. That’s what chiggers actually do.
    When my brothers and I used to go walking in the great outdoors with our dad all of the chiggers would hop on him so none of us were bothered.

Dad was totally chewed up and would resort to almost a shower of Campho-Phenique liquid to relieve the itch.

When I walk into the woods or a field, You can actually hear the chiggers stampeding in my direction. I am a chigger magnet. But weirdly, mosquitoes avoid me and rarely bite, but will devour anyone next to me.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    When my brothers and I used to go walking in the great outdoors with our dad all of the chiggers would hop on him so none of us were bothered.

Dad was totally chewed up and would resort to almost a shower of Campho-Phenique liquid to relieve the itch.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    When I walk into the woods or a field, You can actually hear the chiggers stampeding in my direction. I am a chigger magnet. But weirdly, mosquitoes avoid me and rarely bite, but will devour anyone next to me.
    I am not bothered by them as much. My mom is a chigger magnet and has strong reactions to their bites. To mosquito bites as well. The homemade bug stuff I make with witch hazel and lemon eucalyptus oil works great for the skeeters but not so much for the chiggers.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I am the magnet for mosquitos, as well as bees and wasps, in my extended family.

Mosquitos refuse to bite my wife and focus on me, and that is the one downside to an otherwise beautiful relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I am the magnet for mosquitos, as well as bees and wasps, in my extended family.

Mosquitos refuse to bite my wife and focus on me, and that is the one downside to an otherwise beautiful relationship.
    It's most likely an upside for her.

you guys can keep your chiggers. We already have deer ticks (with lyme disease) to deal with...and don't even think about sending us any of your meat ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post

Mosquitos avoid my middle son, but they seem to love me. But they have loved me in the past up to the point where now I barely care. It's been like extended allergen therapy: I've been so exposed to so much mosquito venom that, even though as a child/young adult I reacted to them strongly, now when I am bitten I can't even tell after about 10 minutes. Mosquitos carry diseases, of course, so I'd prefer not to get bitten, but if I am, well...*shrug*.