Page 1738 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 73812381638168817281736173717381739174017481788183822382738 ... LastLast
Results 34,741 to 34,760 of 67680
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Power still on, this is a new pattern.
    Hope it stays on for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Still on, today will be the test as there is more snow and freezing weather in the forecast. Friday begins the warming up process and hopefully winter is over for us after this weekend.

Cold rain today, and lots of it. But then clearing for the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Cold rain today, and lots of it. But then clearing for the weekend!
    As Loverboy said, "Everybody's working for the weekend".

As Loverboy said, "Everybody's working for the weekend".
    Reverend Lovejoy said that? Oh Loverboy.

Reverend Lovejoy said that?
    He's brought spiritual healing to literally dozens of drawn in shapes.

He's brought spiritual healing to literally dozens of drawn in shapes.
    He showed Springfield that it takes 4 fingers to make a fist.

Here near DC, we have a layer of frozen rain under sleet now. Slippery, but won't bring down trees or power lines like that!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Here near DC, we have a layer of frozen rain under sleet now. Slippery, but won't bring down trees or power lines like that!

-jk
    Southeast PA with several inches of snow. A mix is falling now with ice.

-jk
    I'm lucky, I live in a newer part of town and we have very few above ground electrical lines. Those that we have are massive trunk lines designed for hurricane force winds. I used to have sympathy to those impacted by large scale weather events. Compared to many, I've only been lightly impacted by this event. But I've moved much more to the empathy camp after this go round.

So, I've been offline a bit. What's the deal with all the Ymmmm, threads.

Bundabergdevil is an awful person.

-jk
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Southeast PA with several inches of snow. A mix is falling now with ice.
    Y'all got this. Here in Texas we are a bunch of unprepared wimps.*

*No offense intended to the meek, cowardly, and unadventerous.

Thousands of broken water pipes reported in Austin; Austin Fire says crews can't keep up

Here are some tips to help protect pipes from sub-freezing temperatures.

https://www.kvue.com/amp/article/wea...e-1c4d342813f4
    Having endured cold weather hardships, I know that few things are as annoying or dangerous as frozen pipes in the house. Nasty thing to deal with, and it's common for folks to compound the problem by using small butane torches to thaw pipes, which can result in setting your house on fire...

I was lucky this time. Only had issues with one faucet. It is my only faucet on an exterior wall except for the outdoor spigot. Cold was impacted first then warm, but not for more than a few hours.

Looking at the clock on the microwave, I did lose power for a bit at some point last night. But freezer is back to normal which means it likely had at least 7 hours of continuous run time. (Yes, I've observed the cooling rate for my freezer.

I was lucky this time. Only had issues with one faucet. It is my only faucet on an exterior wall except for the outdoor spigot. Cold was impacted first then warm, but not for more than a few hours.
    on ultra cold days we open up our cabinets that are near outside walls, try to fend off the ice that way...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Having endured cold weather hardships, I know that few things are as annoying or dangerous as frozen pipes in the house. Nasty thing to deal with, and it's common for folks to compound the problem by using small butane torches to thaw pipes, which can result in setting your house on fire...
    People really do this? I had not heard of this...

Can't speak for the rest of them but I just wanted to spread the gobbler good word with all my fellow DBR turkey enthusiasts.

Y'all got this. Here in Texas we are a bunch of unprepared wimps.*

*No offense intended to the meek, cowardly, and unadventerous.
    Posted upthread but it happened it the southeast back in 2014 (I think). Atlanta let schools out mid-day right as a wicked snow/ice storm was bearing down and the city just collapsed. I was one of thousands and thousands of people that just abandoned their care on the side of the road and hoofed it home. It was the closest thing to a true Armageddon-style event as a I can remember with cars scattered everywhere and people walked up highways by foot.

oh yes, every winter we see cases of fires started with torches and other devices. And unless Texas is more different than I think it is, they will see (during this cold stretch) people who die from carbon monoxide poisoning from various devices, e.g. grills, generators in garages, on and on...(20 years ago a numbskull near us nearly killed his family of six by running a generator in the basement...one kid woke up, staggered into the road and collapsed, triggering the emergency response, otherwise they all would have died).

We are getting more snow. And it is sticking.