Page 68 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1459
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I think it's an endorsement. BoJo was an outspoken supporter of Ukraine. His government was one of the first to provide support. They love him.
    Thanks for the clarification!

German television (language warning):

https://twitter.com/benphillips76/st...i3MACWDAEIcrSQ

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Yep, the current Russian system of "Oh look, there's something you need to see outside this window" is noticeably more transparent.

I see what you did there.

The deputy whip of the Conservative party ladies and gentlemen. I know how he feels.

For those interested, here's how this mess is going to work Monday.

Tory Leadership Process for October 24, 2022

I can't believe this is real but Boris is gaining momentum in the leadership race. There are various reports on whether he has hard or soft commits but there is something building. Enough so that he's cutting short his Caribbean vacation. Reminder, he's still under investigation by the privileges committee for lying to Parliament in Partygate. The same people that are now supporting him. The same people that threw him out THREE MONTHS AGO! I live in the darkest timeline.

Penny Mordaunt is the only person to officially declare but she is well behind Sunak who is still in the poll position.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 10-21-2022 at 04:54 PM.

^ Penny Mordaunt is a character in Harry Potter, right? I just love that name. To call what the Tories are doing (and have done) a process is quite generous...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ Penny Mordaunt is a character in Harry Potter, right? I just love that name. To call what the Tories are doing (and have done) a process is quite generous...
    I only wish. I think the Ministry of Magic was run better.

"That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself. " John of Gaunt - Richard II

Update going into Monday.

Sunak finally officially enters the race. That makes two with Boris still dithering on his announcement. If I had to guess, he's waiting to confirm what the European Research Group does. The poorly named euro-skeptic, Pro-Brexit group meets Monday. If they vote as a block that puts him over.

I'm personally surprised that Sunak picked up votes from both right wing darlings Suella Braverman and Kemi Badenoch. That's the closest you're going to get for a unity candidate from this group.

The current publicly declared totals.

Sunak - 131
    BoJo - 58
    Mordaunt - 24

You need 100 to play.

Jonathan Pie on Liz Truss: "...she swoops in, kills the Queen, crashes the market, and bleeps off".

I only wish. I think the Ministry of Magic was run better.

"That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself. " John of Gaunt - Richard II

Update going into Monday.

Sunak finally officially enters the race. That makes two with Boris still dithering on his announcement. If I had to guess, he's waiting to confirm what the European Research Group does. The poorly named euro-skeptic, Pro-Brexit group meets Monday. If they vote as a block that puts him over.

I'm personally surprised that Sunak picked up votes from both right wing darlings Suella Braverman and Kemi Badenoch. That's the closest you're going to get for a unity candidate from this group.

The current publicly declared totals.

Sunak - 131
    BoJo - 58
    Mordaunt - 24

You need 100 to play.
    He seems to be Poison Sunak to the swells, just can't get over the top...could be a ye olde ethnicity deal...

Boris Johnson drops out.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Jonathan Pie on Liz Truss: "...she swoops in, kills the Queen, crashes the market, and bleeps off".
    We should all be so lucky to have such elegant words spoken of our deeds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Boris Johnson drops out.
    Regardless of what he claims, he didn’t have the votes. If it went to a members vote he would have have a good chance. Now we see what Penny does. She short 74 voted and there’s not much overlap of Boris supporters. They are already joining team Sunak.

Penny stands down at the last minute. Both One Nation MPs (Remainers) and European Research Group MPs (Leavers) decline to endorse any one. One Nation, which are moderates, was the nail in the coffin.

During Diwali 2022 and 414 years after the East India Company landed in Surat, a British-Indian Hindu will become PM of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Please let it be boring going forward.

Penny stands down at the last minute. Both One Nation MPs (Remainers) and European Research Group MPs (Leavers) decline to endorse any one. One Nation, which are moderates, was the nail in the coffin.

During Diwali 2022 and 414 years after the East India Company landed in Surat, a British-Indian Hindu will become PM of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Quite a development. Poison Sunak no more!

And you (well, maybe not you specifically but I'm not going back through the thread) didn't think the Tories could pull it together this quickly. Tsk, tsk.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And you (well, maybe not you specifically but I'm not going back through the thread) didn't think the Tories could pull it together this quickly. Tsk, tsk.
    I'll admit I did not. Competence has not been their strong suit in awhile. I will also add several card carrying Tory family members are not happy about being left out of the decision. They are OK with the result but preferred a vote vs appointment.

There is going to be a lot of dyspeptic muttering in many of the "better" clubs of London today...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There is going to be a lot of dyspeptic muttering in many of the "better" clubs of London today...
    A tax cut or two will quell the muttering. At minimum, reduce it to snide whispering.

All politics aside, I recognize the historical importance of a non-Christian and non-white being chosen to rule over Britannia. I wish him luck against a backdrop of seriously choppy waters.

All politics aside, I recognize the historical importance of a non-Christian and non-white being chosen to rule over Britannia. I wish him luck against a backdrop of seriously choppy waters.
    Yeah, but it is worth noting that he comes from a fabulously wealthy family, was educated at some of the most elitist schools in the world, his entire pre-politician career consisted of running massive hedge funds, and he married into one of the few families in the world that could make his own fabulously wealthy family look like paupers.

If you wanted someone who could relate to the very real pain being felt by everyday Brits who are struggling with terrible increases in the cost of living, you probably could not have picked a worse candidate than someone who has spent his entire life being waited upon hand-and-foot by a staff of servants.

-Jason "but, yay, he's brown!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, but it is worth noting that he comes from a fabulously wealthy family, was educated at some of the most elitist schools in the world, his entire pre-politician career consisted of running massive hedge funds, and he married into one of the few families in the world that could make his own fabulously wealthy family look like paupers.

If you wanted someone who could relate to the very real pain being felt by everyday Brits who are struggling with terrible increases in the cost of living, you probably could not have picked a worse candidate than someone who has spent his entire life being waited upon hand-and-foot by a staff of servants.

-Jason "but, yay, he's brown!" Evans
    Yes.
    https://youtu.be/Z1wvnwv93Pg