Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Very possible that Pocius has had nagging foot problems that haven't been widely reported. Presumably if he's healing now, and particularly after last night's performance, he will be getting more burn from here forward. We'll see if that transpires.

Hows the surf in Cali grey? I love it out there. Used to surf Trestles and Oceanside a lot. Anyway----So what if I want Marty to play more. Many of us do. And yes we know of his injury, but we also watch him in games and he has moved quite well this season.

If I want to argue and have fun here, that's my option. If people get upset at my "tone", that's their right. I can't change your mind, or anyone elses for that matter. Nor do I have any real desire to do so. Saying " I rest my case" is neither gloating or chanting "na-na-na na- na", as you like to say. It means I think my point was validated. If you or someone else interprets it differently, well that's your mistake.

Some members here have criticized Marty for 2 years, and sometimes STRONGLY. Now he is labeled as a bad defender. I disagee. But I'm the bad one, huh Grey? You guys keep criticizing the kids and they're all going to leave!

Just to be sure, anybody attacking Marty for his defense against NCSU needs to understand that absolutely NOBODY on Duke's team played good defense last night. Not for the whole game at least...

DiVenzio Avitar

Hey Grey Devil,

I like your avitar. I sent that picture and some others to DBR some time ago. I'm glad to see someone took notice. Were you at Duke in the late 60s?

dukechem

What it sounds like you're saying is that Coach K lied about Marty's health on his weekly TV show. Is that what you meant to say?
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    What it sounds like you're saying is that Coach K lied about Marty's health on his weekly TV show. Is that what you meant to say?
    Funny, that's exactly what it sounded like to me.

Thanks for the post, Grey, I didn't know that about Marty. Given how good he looked last night, I'm relieved to hear that there was another factor in his low game PT, and look forward to seeing how he contributes next season.

Yeah....

that is exactly what I meant......NO!!! I was not insuating Coach K was lying but if he is available to play he is available to play. I mean after all Marty did play some minutes which means he is ok to play. I love it when people put words in mouth.

Oh it happends to me all the time CMS... BUt I'm the sarcastic one!

Pot, meet Mr Kettle....

Great job Marty

ImagePro, I've not followed all of your commentary...but if you indeed have been saying Marty should play more all year, then hats off to you.

Marty showed a lot last night. Our guards played well last night. Paulas, Scheyer, Nelson, Marty all had good games. Too bad that McRoberts and Lance couldn't hold down the inside.

Very, very happy for Marty.

coot

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    that is exactly what I meant......NO!!! I was not insuating Coach K was lying but if he is available to play he is available to play. I mean after all Marty did play some minutes which means he is ok to play. I love it when people put words in mouth.
    I can confirm that his ankle had been badly messed up for much of the year. Just because he could play a few minutes didn't mean he could handle a heavier workload. And it also might have meant he wasn't able to play up to his potenial. If he's healthier now, that obviously makes a big difference.

I'm happy for him too Coot. I have been saying that, and have caught heck for it, I can assure you! But I'm FAR from alone in this thinking.

Some poeple just don't see it though, and maybe they are right. But I for one, think not.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-09-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: inflammatory rhetoric

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

So sad...

Quote Originally Posted by imagepro View Post
    Hows the surf in Cali grey? I love it out there. Used to surf Trestles and Oceanside a lot. Anyway----So what if I want Marty to play more. Many of us do. And yes we know of his injury, but we also watch him in games and he has moved quite well this season.

If I want to argue and have fun here, that's my option. If people get upset at my "tone", that's their right. I can't change your mind, or anyone elses for that matter. Nor do I have any real desire to do so. Saying " I rest my case" is neither gloating or chanting "na-na-na na- na", as you like to say. It means I think my point was validated. If you or someone else interprets it differently, well that's your mistake.

Some members here have criticized Marty for 2 years, and sometimes STRONGLY. Now he is labeled as a bad defender. I disagee. But I'm the bad one, huh Grey? You guys keep criticizing the kids and they're all going to leave!
    Surf’s always better here than in NoCaro, Image.

Now I understand why Jumbo goes so crazy trying to respond to your posts, Image. If you knew all along that Marty was injured why didn’t you include that in your postings about him? It would have only made your arguments for his value to the team stronger. “Look how fast he is, even with his injury. Think how much he could add if he were only healthier!” Instead it appears that you only now are saying that you knew all along.

You say that it's your option if you want to argue have fun here. But my take on your idea of having fun is that you like to see how far you can go in upsetting people on this board, so you can laugh at them when they express dismay or disagree with you. I think it’s a pretty sick way to have fun.

Finally, Image, although I’ve never said anything until today about Pocius (in fact, this is only my third post since we’ve gone to the new board so I have no record for you to base your judgment on) you lumped me in as a critic of Pocius when you said, “You guys keep criticizing the kids and they’re all going to leave!” I wasn’t criticizing Pocius. In fact, I was explaining that his performance has been impacted by an injury. And truth be told, I was actually criticizing you! Nice attempt to deflect it away, making it seem like I was criticizing Marty or the team instead of criticizing you, but it didn’t work this time.

I happen to like Marty a lot. I think he brought a lot of energy and quickness to the game last night and his play offensively was such a contrast to the rest of the team (I voted for him for POG) that he was like a hot knife cutting through warm butter. I'm looking forward to seeing his contributions to the team the rest of this season and next year when he's healthier.

Grey Devil

See it as you wish. But I didn't mean YOU specifically as far as Marty is concerned. I mean so many people bash kids, and think K is perfect. He's not. I never criticize a kid, and I won't.

Last year, and earlier this, I read some horrible crap on here about Marty. Terrible. People asking what he could do for this team. Saying he was too slow, that he didn't work hard in practice or he would be playing. CRAP. And no I don't like it. When he played great last night, even though we lost, I was jubilant for him. After all that's been said on here about him, no one deserved it more.

Marty was injured for 2, 3 games max. I'm sure if he was not able to play, he would not have been practicing, dressing out, and playing in games. If so, that would be putting a kids career in jeopardy, would it not? If you agree, he must have been ready for duty, as he did play up to 6 minutes on a few occasions. If he was hurt, then he had no business entering the game at all. I don't think you would disagree with that.

AS far as the surf always being better there. NOT always. I've spent a lot of time in OCeanside & San Diego. Surfed Mission Beach, Blacks, San Onofre, Trestles, Oceanside. Hatteras gets just as good. If you send me your e-mail in private message, I'll send you some stuff I just shot there for Surfer Magazine. I think you'd change your impression of East Coast surf. You just have to know where to go. -- Best Regards-- IP

If a player is injured and a coach uses him, that coach is putting a kids career in jeopardy. Do you agree or diagree. Just asking your opinion.

I think CMS is right when he says Marty was OK to play. I think Coah K knows better than to practice and play a kid who is injured. And you say his ankle was "badly messed up". Elaborate, as we would like to hear what you know. I thought he had a mild ankle sprain several weeks back, and the lingering problem was his knee..

If Marty just learns...

to keep himself under control liked he did in the 2nd half unlike the first, he can be a real factor

I agree Mike, he does play a litte out of control sometimes. I "think" that's because he's simply trying too hard to show what he can do. He needs to let the game come to him, and he can be special, imho....