Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This is beyond silly. Though not sure how to expand my answer...
    Maybe we first start with a lesson in how not to copy the initial post over and over again in replies?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenBuilding View Post
    Change "crack the whip" to "double down, work hard(er), come down hard". Unnecessary use of violent imagery that paints the person being referred to as oppressive or authoritarian.
    Devo says "no".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Idiomatic speech and colloquialisms give language and conversation texture and provide a cultural frame of reference that can be revealing/instructive. I don’t mind when speech that crosses an epithetical line is corrected But generally I think it’s unwise to try to mute language’s natural organic flow. It risks the potential for speech to become more divisive not less.

Woke nonsense. Distracts from real, actionable issues we face.

I hate that this thread is up on this day. I can't imagine a reasonable conversation on this topic that won't devolve into polarizing conversation on Christmas.

Words matter. The origin of phrases and etymology of words matter. I'm absolutely not going to argue about wokeness and PC claims on Christmas Day. That path leads to madness.

I agree. words are important. They are part of who we are as people and a community. I've always thought it wasn't the word, but the intent of the word. Many things mean different things to different people. I'm not going to argue anyone's wokeness or political correctness, but just keep doing things the best I can. I'm too old to change now. lol

Really, really stupid.

And this did not originate from any sexist background. It's an aviation term referring to the throttle(s) being full forward.

"balls to the wall" to "accelerate efforts." Attributes personality traits to (male) anatomy.

One that should be on here is "that ship has sailed" which is offensive to those that get sea sick and will never sail on a ship.

All references to winning should also be banned, they can cause emotional distress and trauma in fans of schools like NC State which seldom win anything of importance. Instead we should refer to teams as "participants"

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Polarization is so much fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Is this some sorta knock on Santa? On today of all days...I just don't know any my more.
    And why does Santa live at the North Pole? That's soooo Euro-centric! There isn't even land at the North Pole! What's wrong with the South Pole?
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And why does Santa live at the North Pole? That's soooo Euro-centric! There isn't even land at the North Pole! What's wrong with the South Pole?
    It also perpetuates the sphere-centric view of the world non-sense.

One that should be on here is "that ship has sailed" which is offensive to those that get sea sick and will never sail on a ship.
    Are you implying that he/she/thems who get sea sick are lesser than? Because using the term ‘sick’ clearly implies a disease or other non-normative condition. The preferred term is “motion-induced regurgitator” or “differently responsed boat person.” Labeling them sick is yet another example of the ableistic micro-aggression that so frequently plagues this board. MODS - this Packman97 (OF COURSE it would be a MAN abusing his/her/thems labeling privileges!) should be forced to apologize and then permanently banned from this and all boards. Who’s with me on this!

I'm just glad I went to college long before all of this language masturbation came into being. I don't think I would have made it graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I'm just glad I went to college long before all of this language masturbation came into being. I don't think I would have made it graduation.
    You, sir, appear not to no the difference between masturbation and a circle J.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Are you implying that he/she/thems who get sea sick are lesser than? Because using the term ‘sick’ clearly implies a disease or other non-normative condition. The preferred term is “motion-induced regurgitator” or “differently responsed boat person.” Labeling them sick is yet another example of the ableistic micro-aggression that so frequently plagues this board. MODS - this Packman97 (OF COURSE it would be a MAN abusing his/her/thems labeling privileges!) should be forced to apologize and then permanently banned from this and all boards. Who’s with me on this!
    You win internet today. My humble apologies to any motion induced regurgitators. I would change my name to PackPerson97 if I could.

You win internet today. My humble apologies to any motion induced regurgitators. I would change my name to PackPerson97 if I could.
    And then there's your mascots! Such stereotypes!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And then there's your mascots! Such stereotypes!
    Trust me, "Tar heel" should be on the list of things to be removed.

https://alumni.unc.edu/what-is-a-tar-heel/

The term “tar heel” dates back to North Carolina’s early history, when the state was a leading producer of supplies for the naval industry. Workers who distilled turpentine from the sticky sap of pine trees and burned pine boughs to produce tar and pitch often went barefoot during hot summer months and undoubtedly collected tar on their heels. To call someone a “rosin heel” or “tar heel” was to imply that they worked in a lowly trade.

During the Civil War, North Carolina soldiers flipped the meaning of the term and turned an epithet into an accolade. They called themselves “tar heels” as an expression of state pride. Others adopted the term, and North Carolina became widely known as the “Tar Heel State.”

In the 1880s, when UNC teams began competing in intercollegiate sports, they needed a nickname. There does not appear to have been any debate over what to call the teams and how to express school spirit. They were then, and have always been, Tar Heels.
    A nickname earned proudly in the defense of slavery. They even brag about it on their alumni website. /smdh

Am I the only one who…

A) is not terribly upset or angry or whatever over this list

B) enjoyed reading a lot of this

and

C) actually understand the point about most of this?

Talk about mountain out of molehill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Am I the only one who…

A) is not terribly upset or angry or whatever over this list

B) enjoyed reading a lot of this

and

C) actually understand the point about most of this?

Talk about mountain out of molehill.
    Some might say that the list is a making a “mountain out of a molehill”.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Some might say that the list is a making a “mountain out of a molehill”.
    On Christmas eve we watched The Man Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain. I love that movie.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."