Page 962 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 4628629129529609619629639649721012106214621962 ... LastLast
Results 19,221 to 19,240 of 67405
    Pet peeve time. I know I've read recently that two spaces after the period ending a sentence is unnecessary. However, are zero spaces now an acceptable answer also? I do know that when using my tablet that often my ability to use the space bar goes away. In other words, I can tap the virtual key but nothing happens. Maybe more people experience this than I realized?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Pet peeve time. I know I've read recently that two spaces after the period ending a sentence is unnecessary. However, are zero spaces now an acceptable answer also? I do know that when using my tablet that often my ability to use the space bar goes away. In other words, I can tap the virtual key but nothing happens. Maybe more people experience this than I realized?
    Two spaces, Oxford commas. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    This!
    Also a big fan of semicolons; they give the perfect pause to set up a summation clause.

Also a big fan of semicolons; they give the perfect pause to set up a summation clause.
    I'm probably the wrong person to ask, but I completely agree with you. Punctuation exists for a reason, and those reasons are being ignored and eradicated as of late.

It's a good thing I don't have kids, because I'm certain they would be mortified with the way I execute my text messages; with capitalization, punctuation, and sometimes paragraph breaks.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm probably the wrong person to ask, but I completely agree with you. Punctuation exists for a reason, and those reasons are being ignored and eradicated as of late.

It's a good thing I don't have kids, because I'm certain they would be mortified with the way I execute my text messages; with capitalization, punctuation, and sometimes paragraph breaks.
    Other text pet peeves:

Thru
    Nite
    B (as in "be")
    4 (as in "for")

Oxford commas? Absolutely.

Two spaces? Sorry; can't get behind that one anymore. (Neither can MLA nor Chicago, for that matter.)

</runs and ducks after starting typography holy war>

Other text pet peeves:

Thru
    Nite
    B (as in "be")
    4 (as in "for")
    Oh, those are a given. Hard to imagine that much time is saved with those short cuts, and the damage to my brain is irreversible.
    Let's go Duke!

You would love my Nephew John. He uses whole sentences and paragraphs in his texts. Sometimes, they come in as a 5 part text.

(Of course, he isn't that young but he is younger than me.)

OPK for King of the World.

Mississippi State

Did not see that coming...

Those of us who live and work in Atlanta are preparing for many months of the "longest commute ever".

Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Those of us who live and work in Atlanta are preparing for many months of the "longest commute ever".

Ugh!
    I heard they already have a contingency plan.

xI98XY6jLWueDdg2FpLJfLARbffr1j_2b2I7ZOKY_WU.jpg
    Let's go Duke!

I heard they already have a contingency plan.

xI98XY6jLWueDdg2FpLJfLARbffr1j_2b2I7ZOKY_WU.jpg
    As designed, this would lead to lots of head on collisions.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

Ugh!
    When the Santa Monica Freeway collapsed (or, at least, four overpasses on it) during the Northridge earthquake of January 1994, there was a high-priority effort to get this freeway back in service. With special incentives for the contractor and streamlining the government approval process, repairs and construction were completed in 74 days, about one-half of the five month estimate in the project plan. BTW, it was all federal money [hint, hint].
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Really dreading work tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Really dreading work tomorrow.
    I assume you work with a Tar Heel fan?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    OPK for King of the World.
    Hell, yea!

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Whatever he said ^^^
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'