Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke v GA Tech (Wed 1/8, 9:00 pm, ACCN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

After leaving Miami twisting and turning, the Blue Devils turn their eyes towards Atlanta to take on the Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech. As far as contrasts in opponents, Georgia Tech is pretty much the opposite of Miami. Whereas the Hurricanes could score with ease but played a matador style of defense, the Yellow Jackets have trouble putting the ball in the hoop but are stingy on defense.

On offense, it's been a brutal year. Georgia Tech is one of the least accurate shooting teams in the country, making just 28.5% of their attempts from 3 on the year. They also struggle from the free throw line, where just 64/3% of their attempts have gone in the hoop. It's brick city. The one guy that can make a jumper is 6'5" SO G Michael Devoe. He has been scorching the nets to the tune of 43.9% on 66 attempts on the year. No one else has been hitting them at better than 30%. Joining Devoe in the backcourt is pesky defender and lead PG Jose Alverado (JR 6'0"). Alverado leads the Georgia Tech defensive attack, where he is known to strip the ball and generate turnovers. Alverado has missed about half of the season so far and had his starts taken by the diminutive JR (5'10") Bubba Parham.

Alverado, Devoe, and Parham are about the only players on the team that are not constantly coughing up the ball. Georgia Tech is one of the absolute worst teams in offensive TO%, ranking 330th out of 353 teams. They give up the ball on about 23% of their possessions, which coincidentally, is about what Duke's defense is causing. Expect Duke to force TO's and be rewarded for their gambles.

Where Georgia Tech does excel is on defense. They block a lot of shots and use their size and length to generally make it tough for opponents to score around the rim. Leading the charge is 6'10" SR James Banks III. Banks is one of the best shot blockers in the nation and will give Vernon Carey, Jr. and the rest of the Duke team fits when they get close to the basket. Reserve JR Moses Wright (6'9") is also a decent rim protector, although not on the level of either Carey or Banks. Banks, Wright, and 6'10" JR Evan Cole are the primary rebounders for Georgia Tech. Wright is the second leading scorer on the team at 13.4 points per game and leads the team in rebounding. The Raleigh native should present a tough matchup for Matthew Hurt and Jack White. Wright and Banks do commit a good number of fouls, though, and lead the team in TO's.

Duke is going to have to value the basketball to win this one. Georgia Tech has only shown offensive promise once, hanging 96 points on an underwhelming UNC team in its last outing. Losing Wendell Moore means that Alex O'Connell and Joey Baker are going to have to be positive contributors, providing shooting relief if Vernon Carey is having trouble getting his usual offense against Banks and the Georgia Tech front line. Given the offensive limitations of the opponent, this is a game where I think O'Connell and Baker could shine, providing much-needed complementary scoring. If those two are making shots, Duke should be in for a relatively easy night in Atlanta.

Thanks for the write-up on the game. Something to keep in mind is they've only had starters Alvarado and Usher back for 5 games and 6 games respectively. I think you can throw away what this team did earlier in the year and look at where they are now - a 13-point win on the road against UNC and a 12-point loss on the road to FSU. This is a good basketball team. Alvarado is a very heady floor leader - similar to Tre Jones in that way - and James Banks is an elite rim protector. Banks is not the quickest guy in the world, but he's very long and loves to block shots. Vernon will need to both aggressively use pump fakes and score through him to neutralize his shot blocking.

And like everyone else, this is GT's super bowl, especially with their post-season ban. I'm expecting a very tough battle in Atlanta. Hope the guys are ready and not overlooking this one.

Why are Duke games getting scheduled against the NFL playoffs? One would think that they would schedule them when there is no competition with the NFL playoffs.

If they double on Vernon hope Matthew Hurt is on fire. His game is now meeting the pre season hype. I thought he may need another year, but if he keeps elevating his game he may test the waters.Cassius Joey Alex Jack Javin Anthony and even Justin all need to step up with no Wendell. We looked great against Miami. Those kind of games don't happen frequently, but it has to be a confidence booster for all of those players. Alex still could play better. No more airballs. Make good passes and take shots if they are in rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    ...the Yellow Jackets have trouble putting the ball in the hoop but are stingy on defense.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Cassius Joey Alex Jack Javin Anthony and even Justin all need to step up with no Wendell.
    Who's Anthony?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Who's Anthony?
    Cole? Harris?

Who's Anthony?
    "Wish him into the cornfield, Anthony."

So, Billy Mumy.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Who's Anthony?
    Don't know, but he's not gettin a house out in Hackensack.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Don't know, but he's not gettin a house out in Hackensack.
    "...You oughta know by now..."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Ga. Tech may be a tough opponent for us Wed.in in Atlanta. I know the cheats are a little down now, but the Jackets will be sky high. Somebody up thread said it will be their Super Bowl, and I agree. Alvarado and Devoe are tough in the backcourt, and with Banks and Wright, could be interesting front court battle. Of course, I thought Miami would give us a pretty tough fight in Coral Gables. Shows you what I know! Anyway, hope we come in to this game with a fighters mentality and take down the Jackets. Let's go Blue Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "...You oughta know by now..."
    ...ack, ack, ack, ack, ack.

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    ...ack, ack, ack, ack, ack.
    You should never argue with a crazy man.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    You should never argue with a crazy man.
    Is this the Anthony from my grocery store? I did hear he's got a killer crossover.

Alvarado and Usher have only been back a few games and I think this GT team is really starting to gel. I watched the entire game against UNC. This is a very different Tech team than a few weeks ago. Don't be fooled by their record. This is going to be a much tougher game than BC or Miami...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Is this the Anthony from my grocery store? I did hear he's got a killer crossover.

Alvarado and Usher have only been back a few games and I think this GT team is really starting to gel. I watched the entire game against UNC. This is a very different Tech team than a few weeks ago. Don't be fooled by their record. This is going to be a much tougher game than BC or Miami...
    This Tech team earlier in season beat the vaunted Wolfpack in Raleigh. This is the same Pack that local pundits all agree is in the big dance.

In the end I think we win, but will be tougher than we may have first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    "Wish him into the cornfield, Anthony."

So, Billy Mumy.

If it is this Anthony, he'll be playing Zone defense.

A preview thread for GaTech needs to discuss their unique zone.

I'm too lazy to do it, but I'll spork someone who does a good job laying out their zone.

Maybe start with Coach K's postgame presser from last season's GaTech game, the one where GaTech's zone flustered Duke's very talented team. I remember Coach not being able to decide what to call Pastner's zone, which is a unique feature of the zone. Opposing coaches don't know what to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    A preview thread for GaTech needs to discuss their unique zone.

I'm too lazy to do it, but I'll spork someone who does a good job laying out their zone.

Maybe start with Coach K's postgame presser from last season's GaTech game, the one where GaTech's zone flustered Duke's very talented team. I remember Coach not being able to decide what to call Pastner's zone, which is a unique feature of the zone. Opposing coaches don't know what to call it.
    They mix zone with man-to-man principles in a very unique way. This lets them get out and challenge 3 point shots (I think we were 2-21 last year against them). They also have the second (Banks) and sixth (Wright) leading shot blockers in the conference.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're a little confused early, maybe even find ourselves down in the first half. But I'd expect us to settle in and then we have that ability to really sustain great defense and grind teams down with our depth.

I hope we establish Carey early and he's able to take it right at Banks and Wright maybe drawing some early fouls. They haven't had to guard a player like Carey this year.

It's going to be interesting to see if GT can step up. Looking at their schedule, it doesn't look like they have played anybody yet except for UK (ranked 8) and FSU (ranked 18). Everyone else looks like a nobody as far as basketball is concerned.

I can't even begin to explain how much I enjoyed posting that. 9F

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see if GT can step up. Looking at their schedule, it doesn't look like they have played anybody yet except for UK (ranked 8) and FSU (ranked 18). Everyone else looks like a nobody as far as basketball is concerned.

I can't even begin to explain how much I enjoyed posting that. 9F
    Might be similarly (if not equally fair) to say Duke hasn't played anyone in the top 45 other than Kansas and MSU. And I think KenPom has them with a tougher SOS as well...both Sagarin and KenPom has GT with a top 10 SOS, Duke not so much.
    Last edited by budwom; 01-07-2020 at 02:13 PM.