Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Georgia Tech (Sat, Jan 26, 12pm, ACCN OTA) Pre/In-Game Thread

We actually got TV info well in advance for once.

TV Stations:
    http://theacc.com/sports/2019/1/3/MB...1-26-2019.aspx

Free, unrestricted stream:
    http://theacc.com/watch/?id=157206

Blackout Map:

Options based on location:

Black:
    -On TV via station listed in link above
    -Online via link above

Green:
    -On TV via ESPN College Extra (not available on all providers, DirecTV 788/Verizon FIOS 821)
    -Online via link above
    -Online via ACC Network Extra portion of WatchESPN

Playstation Vue

Welp...it looks like I've run into my first cord-cutting issue as this game is on Peachtree TV in the Atlanta area and I have found no reliable streaming option for that.

The bar it is, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    We actually got TV info well in advance for once.

TV Stations:
    http://theacc.com/sports/2019/1/3/MB...1-26-2019.aspx

Free, unrestricted stream:
    http://theacc.com/watch/?id=157206

Blackout Map:

Options based on location:

Black:
    -Online via link above

Green:
    -On TV via ESPN College Extra (not available on all providers, DirecTV 788/Verizon FIOS 821)
    -Online via link above
    -Online via ACC Network Extra portion of WatchESPN

Quote Originally Posted by David Bunkley View Post
    Welp...it looks like I've run into my first cord-cutting issue as this game is on Peachtree TV in the Atlanta area and I have found no reliable streaming option for that.

Reddit is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Reddit is your friend.
    So is the new generation of HD antennas...you can get Peachtree TV over the air, and a decent HD antenna will set you back all of about 20 bucks. I'm a fellow cord-cutter, and mine has earned back its cost many times over.

Reddit is your friend.
    How do you use Reddit to watch games?

Quote Originally Posted by mark34 View Post
    How do you use Reddit to watch games?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ncaaBBallStreams/

Quote Originally Posted by thewoosh31 View Post
    As with any of these internet based streams, just be careful what you click and hit play on
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Reddit is your friend.
    Serena, is that you?

Against GaTech, we'll get to see what Duke looks like against a zone when we have more than one day to prepare. (And when our PG doesn't get knocked out in the middle of the game with no time to adjust, and another starter isn't a late surprising scratch with flu-like symptoms as well).

The GaTech zone isn't much like Syracuse's though, except in effectiveness. The Yellow Jackets morph the zone and try to confuse opponents, giving both 1-3-1 and 2-3 looks, with 1-3-1 showing up more often from what I've seen.

Scouting Report

This is a nice stretch for the Devils, which is convenient given the injury to Tre Jones. Georgia Tech is a solid defensive team, but they are a train wreck offensively. They are young and not terribly deep in terms of skill. It's a nice opportunity for the team to flex some muscle at home and test our skills at beating a team that will try to make us take jumpers. The Jackets don't shoot well from anywhere other than at the rim. They don't offensive rebound well. They pass fairly well, but they also turn it over a lot. The only thing they do notably well on offense is draw fouls. On defense, they contest shots very well, forcing teams to an abysmal 3pt% and 2pt%. They block a lot of shots and force some turnovers. Defense is definitely their calling card, going zone with a variety of looks from it. Pastner, a Calipari discipline, tries to run a dribble-drive offense. But it doesn't really work for them with the guys they have.

Centers: James Banks III (6'8", 245lb junior transfer from Texas) is the man in the middle. Banks moves reasonably well for his size and blocks shots well in the middle. He also has a nice game in the paint. He's not much of a shooting threat, but he's an excellent player within his somewhat limited range of skills. He doesn't force much away from the rim, with over half his shots coming at the rim. Banks is an excellent offensive rebounder, and is a capable defensive rebounder who is probably limited by the zone. He's the only frontcourt player who plays a major role in the offense. The Yellow Jackets have only a "break in case of emergency" backup in Sylvester Ogbonda (6'10", 235lb junior from Nigeria). Obgonda is all length and energy, no skill. He rebounds on the offensive end well and blocks shots well. But if he's playing, that's because it is a blowout and/or Tech is in foul trouble. Basically, if they can do so, Banks plays 30+ mpg, and when he has to sit they go with their trio of 6'9" forwards instead.

Forwards: Moses Wright (6'9", 220lb sophomore from Raleigh) and Abdoulaye Gueye (6'9", 215lb senior from Senegal) lead the way at forward. They are somewhat interchangeable: lanky, athletic, high-energy guys who rebound some but don't shoot very well. Gueye is the better rebounder and shot blocker (fairly good at both). Wright has a bit more willingness to shoot from range, though he hasn't been very effective at it. The third forward in the rotation is Evan Cole (6'9", 215lb sophomore). Cole is more of a stretch-4. He's a strong defensive rebounder but largely invisible otherwise. He's not a great 3pt shooter, but he can hit it some and will likely put one up against us. The Jackets don't offer much quality here other than length, rebounding, and effort baskets.

Wings: Michael DeVoe (6'4", 190lb freshman) is the best of a pretty uninspiring lot of wings for Tech. That's not a slight to DeVoe, who is a top-50 recruit, but rather a commentary on the rest of the group. It's a big dropoff from Josh Okogie and Tadric Jackson to the guys they have now. And Tech is feeling the effects of those departures. DeVoe is a combo guard with good ballhandling and passing skills for a secondary playmaker. He's got decent size and length, but isn't overly impressive athletically. He's a scrappy defender in their zone and forces a lot of turnovers. He hasn't quite gotten the transition on offense yet, but he has potential as a scorer at all 3 levels. If he sticks around, he should become a really good player for Tech. As is, he's a nice role player for them, and serves as the backup PG whenever Alvarado sits. Beyond DeVoe, it's a bit rough. Curtis Haywood II (6'5", 200lb sophomore) is the other starter. Haywood is a high-energy role player who has developed as a shooter since coming to college. He's not a great shooter, but he's a capable shooter. Haywood also reads the game fairly well, getting steals and is a solid passer from the wing. But he's all role player, not a lead guard or playmaker at all. The third option on the wings is Brandon Alston (6'5", 200lb fifth-year senior from Lehigh). Alston is interesting in that he was a grad transfer who had two years of eligibility left when he came to Tech last year. He's an underwhelming athlete who is on the floor to do one thing: shoot 3s. That said, Alston has missed the past 3 games with an undisclosed injury, so it isn't clear if he'll play. The fourth wing in the rotation is Khalid Moore (6'6", 200lb freshman). Moore is a lanky, very athletic wing with the skill set of a power forward at this point. He doesn't dribble well, and doesn't have much polish offensively. He has hit a handful of standstill 3s this year, but that's not really his game. He's more of a developmental project with his size (comparable to Cam Reddish in physical appearance) and athleticism. But he's probably a year or two away right now. The fifth wing is Shembari Phillips (6'3", 200lb junior transfer from Tennessee). Phillips plays sparingly if the other wings are healthy. And for good reason. He's a bit of a liability on the floor. He shoots poorly both inside and outside the arc and turns it over too much for a guy who isn't a creator. He's in there for energy/effort garbage-man work and nothing more.

Guards: Jose Alvarado (6'0", 175lb sophomore) is the headliner for the Yellow Jackets. He is kind of a poor-man's Tre Jones in that he's a better basketball player than his physical tools and individual skills would suggests. He's a gamer, a fierce competitor, and a good floor general point guard. Despite being small and not overly athletic, he's fearless with the ball in his hands. He's a good but not great shooter from anywhere on the court, and he's pugnacious and tenacious. He's the type of PG you love to have on your team but hate if he's on the other team. I could probably come up with some more colorful words to describe him, but you get the idea. He's a guy Coach K would love to coach I think. Alvarado will play as close to 40 minutes as he can, and the Jackets will need him to do so to have a chance against us. The one glaring limitation for Alvarado is he is a bit sloppy with the ball. But some of that is simply trying to make things happen on offense on what is a really bad offensive team in general. He is the engine that makes Tech go when it goes.

The Jackets will be high-energy and high-effort. They'll be aggressive. If they hit a few jumpshots, they can be irrationally confident and make it a pesky game. They have one nice win this year (@Syracuse) and some decent close losses (vs St Johns, vs Va Tech, @Northwestern). So they can be a thorn in the side. But we have a substantial talent edge and their weanesses (defensive rebounding, turnovers) play into some of our strengths. Hopefully this is a comfortable win. Torvik predicts a 22-point win for us, and that feels about right as an expectation.

You can also get a VPN.

What will prevent you from streaming it via the ACC network site?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    What will prevent you from streaming it via the ACC network site?
    I try to communicate it every time, but there are always people who do not seem to understand the free ACC website stream for these games.

This is the last year that we will have to deal with it though, which is too bad since having these games freely viewable around the world has been a great help to a number of people.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    I try to communicate it every time, but there are always people who do not seem to understand the free ACC website stream for these games.

This is the last year that we will have to deal with it though, which is too bad since having these games freely viewable around the world has been a great help to a number of people.
    I guess you don’t want to say it again. Sorry I haven’t seen it in the past. I have recently been deciding if the time is right to cut cable. Some people I know who have done it end up spending as much for myriad subscriptions to be able to view what they want.

I am concerned that because espn has a contract with the ACC I would need an espn subscription and a Fox sports subscription because sometimes they are on Fox. Seeing Braves games is also a concern. I was hoping you would provide an answer. Thanks anyway.

I recently signed up for Hulu Live to cut the cord. Hulu Live has all the sports channels you want including Fox Sports for Braves games. I will be recording and watching the Duke-Tech game on Hulu on the ESPN College Extra channel.

Quote Originally Posted by toothmechanic72 View Post
    I recently signed up for Hulu Live to cut the cord. Hulu Live has all the sports channels you want including Fox Sports for Braves games. I will be recording and watching the Duke-Tech game on Hulu on the ESPN College Extra channel.
    Do you need a TiVo or something similar to record, or are live tv sevices now providing cloud based recording?

Why did you choose Hulu as opposed to roku, sling, YouTube tv or some other service? Do you pay hulu only, or do you have to add other services separately?

Do you need a TiVo or something similar to record, or are live tv sevices now providing cloud based recording?

Why did you choose Hulu as opposed to roku, sling, YouTube tv or some other service? Do you pay hulu only, or do you have to add other services separately?
    Sorry, I'm not much help with most of your questions, but want to clarify that Roku is the device on which one would watch Hulu, Netflix, YouTube TV, etc. Roku, much like Apple TV or an Amazon Firestick, provides TV content from others, it's not content in and of itself. We have a Roku device and my wife still doesn't understand how it works with our Xfinity.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Sorry, I'm not much help with most of your questions, but want to clarify that Roku is the device on which one would watch Hulu, Netflix, YouTube TV, etc. Roku, much like Apple TV or an Amazon Firestick, provides TV content from others, it's not content in and of itself. We have a Roku device and my wife still doesn't understand how it works with our Xfinity.
    I am with your wife on this one. My sons have explained to me how Roku works several times. Unfortunately, I still do not understand and thus still have Xfinity.

I have Hulu Live too, and it does provide cloud-based recording as well as "on-demand" viewing. I tried both sling and vue and find the hulu streaming experience better than either. We primarily watch hulu on our Roku devices but it's viewable on tablets and phones as well. (It is NOT available on playstation, though.)

Hulu Live is $40/month and comes with 50 hours of DVR storage. You can pay extra for more hours of storage. I looked at Sling TV and Hulu Live and Hulu Live has all the sports channels that you would need. Just go on the website and type in your zip code. You get about 50 channels including local channels. The good thing about Hulu Live is that I can search for Duke basketball and tell the site to record all the games that are upcoming. It has worked well so far.
    Duke '94