Page 1583 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 58310831483153315731581158215831584158515931633168320832583 ... LastLast
Results 31,641 to 31,660 of 67390
    I didn't know what marzipan was until a fellow engineer brought some in to work one day in the mid-90s. In my youth, I lived in (West) Germany for 3 years and had visited just about every free country in Europe at the time and don't ever recall having had it. I was always under impressed by European desserts.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 09-24-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I didn't know what marzipan was until a fellow engineer brought some in to work one day in the mid-90s. In my youth, I lived in (West) Germany for 3 years and had visited just about every free country in Europe at the time and don't ever recall having had it. I was always under impressed by European desserts.
    Would you say you pan them?

So — you skipped Italy then?

Best bread I ever ate was in Switzerland. Discovered that a local grocery store bakes a bread that is very close to it.

Also loved getting hot fudge sundaes there - bowl of ice cream with a rim of whipped cream and a gravy boat of hot fudge.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Best bread I ever ate was in Switzerland. Discovered that a local grocery store bakes a bread that is very close to it.

Also loved getting hot fudge sundaes there - bowl of ice cream with a rim of whipped cream and a gravy boat of hot fudge.
    That's key. The star here is the hot fudge. It ain't a whip cream sundae. It ain't a cake sundae. It's a hot fudge sundae. Act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So — you skipped Italy then?
    Went there a couple times. These were judgements made by a 10 year old. They might not hold up all these years later.

Coffee this morning? Or should I try housing a few bags of fun dip flavored sugar?

Was fun dip really just dipping a stick of sugar into a bag of sugar? Who let me eat that garbage?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Coffee this morning? Or should I try housing a few bags of fun dip flavored sugar?

Was fun dip really just dipping a stick of sugar into a bag of sugar? Who let me eat that garbage?!?!
    I'd go with the Fun Dip.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

Or Pixie Stix.

As for breakfast, most cereals are just starchy candy. At least pastries are honest about what they are.

Melatonin, anyone tried it?
    I have chronic insomnia (thanks, dad). I fall asleep just fine, but almost always wake up during the night for a few hours (like now- gong on 3 hours awake ). Anyway, on the advice of many, I tried melatonin. Nothing. Tried it again. And again. And again. Still nothing. Nada. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

Hey sue71! Hello! How ya been? Nice to "see" you.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Really? Wow! You must not have hit the places I did, 'cause I ate some WONDERFUL sweets and goodies all over. Still trying to replicate a stewed fruit and custard thing I savored in France.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Or Pixie Stix.

As for breakfast, most cereals are just starchy candy. At least pastries are honest about what they are.
    Oh, wow, serious nostalgia. Sweet, sugary, hyper nostalgia.

if we lose our football game to UVA tomorrow, I hear we could be signing a lucrative deal with Milk Duds.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    I have chronic insomnia (thanks, dad). I fall asleep just fine, but almost always wake up during the night for a few hours (like now- gong on 3 hours awake ). Anyway, on the advice of many, I tried melatonin. Nothing. Tried it again. And again. And again. Still nothing. Nada. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

Mine appears to be worry/stress related. I went a month or so sleeping through the night or at most waking up, looking at the clock, and going right back to sleep. During that time I was also very disciplined to not pick up a screen and activate the brain. I've regressed the last few days. I did try the melatonin again last night and now understand about the vivid dreams component that others have mentioned.

Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines, and Pilsbury all say to not eat raw batter. Should I listen?

Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines, and Pilsbury all say to not eat raw batter. Should I listen?
    Why start now?

Why start now?

Their raw batter or yours? My wife and I get into this every cookie baking session. I'm pro-lick-the-beaters, she is anti. I guess salmonella is the concern but it continues to be a risk I'm willing to take.

Why start now?
    Of course, I make homemade eggnog for Christmas Eve using raw egg yolks so you may not want to listen to me.

The way I see it, I have been eating raw batter, dough, etc all my life. Even if I get sick today from it, that's still pretty good odds. I will continue.