Travel advice - NJ and PA

We will be arriving from Central NJ, spending 3 days in and around Amish Country/Stroudsburg/Lancaster/etc. and heading back to Bergen County in NW Jersey.

Can anyone recommend some good scenic drives and/or restaurants along the way or in Lancaster County? We'd love to see some pretty vistas, wildlife, and farmland via the back roads. Also roadside food and farm stands are always a treat.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    We will be arriving from Central NJ, spending 3 days in and around Amish Country/Stroudsburg/Lancaster/etc. and heading back to Bergen County in NW Jersey.

Can anyone recommend some good scenic drives and/or restaurants along the way or in Lancaster County? We'd love to see some pretty vistas, wildlife, and farmland via the back roads. Also roadside food and farm stands are always a treat.

Thanks!!
    Slip over to Reading (Berks County - North of Lancaster County) and travel Duryea Drive (site of testing 1st hillclimbing automobile) up to the Pagoda on Mt. Penn. A drive along Skyline Drive is a lovley view of the Oley Valley to the right and Reading and the Schulykill River on the left.

Buy gasoline before you leave Pennsylvania. New Jersey is full-serve only.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Buy gasoline before you leave Pennsylvania. New Jersey is full-serve only.
    It's full serve, but NJ has some of the lowest gas prices on the east coast. Believe me I drive from NC to NJ and sometimes up to MA several times a year, and with the exception of rural VA, NJ is the best place to fill up.

For example check out www.newjerseygasprices.com and www.pennsylvaniagasprices.com... I popped in the zip code for my old home town 08054 and the best price coming up is 2.45. If you go and look at gas in Reading, the best price is 2.61.

Yeah, except you can't fill up because the full serve operators leave the last 1.5 gallons of your tank empty. No thanks.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

dbb03,
    Bergen County in NW Jersey?

I was born and raised in Bergen County in northEAST NEW Jersey.

If you are going in the next few weeks, it's APPLE season. You'll probably want to try DePiero's market in Montvale. Demarest Farm in Hillsdale is much smaller, but has fantastic produce.

Ronnie's Bagel shop in Hillsdale is ... to DIE for!

Where in Bergen? Woodcliff Lake?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 09-19-2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Wrong name

Sights to See

Easton, PA - home of the Pez museum and Crayola Factory

Somerville, NJ - US Cycling Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Easton, PA - home of the Pez museum and Crayola Factory
    and my alma mater, Lafayette College.
    Last edited by -jk; 09-19-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post

Thanks!!
    i often go to lancaster for a day or two. route 340 is very nice it will take you through much of lancaster county and i almost goes the same way as rt30. you will go through towns such as intercourse,blue balls,bird in hand and it ends at 30 in lancaster by the outlets. restaurants are limited in lancaster to mostly all you can eat amish style foods. there is a texas roadhouse that i often go to while im there a applebees fudruckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    dbb03,

If you are going in the next few weeks, it's APPLE season. You'll probably want to try DePiero's market in Montvale. Demarest Farm in Hillsdale is much smaller, but has fantastic produce.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I'm guessing NW Jersey = typo of New Jersey? Or maybe, isn't NE NJ basically NW NYC? :-p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergen_County

Bergen county is mentioned here as well
    Last edited by hc5duke; 09-19-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: blue law

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    dbb03,

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    yup, my bad. i meant NE Jersey, west of the city. We're in Ramsey, NJ. We've visited DePiero's abunch of times and loved it. Ronnie's would be nice since most bagel places in NJ are pretty average. We'll check it out.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm gonna research it tomorrow. The big stop is Strasburg for our 21 mo who is obsessed with trains - http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/

but Lafayette and some of the drives mentioned sound nice.

My wife is mostly in it for the shoofly pie

No kidding, Ramsey? I went to Ramsey High School.

Small world. Well, small world when you are a Dukie and you are from Jersey, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    No kidding, Ramsey? I went to Ramsey High School.

Small world. Well, small world when you are a Dukie and you are from Jersey, maybe.

That's funny. We moved here about 2 years ago and love it. Other than the longish commute, we couldn't be happier. Need to find work closer to home!

I actually didn't go to Duke, my brother did and I've been a big fan since I was little.

Lancaster County

Since you mentioned having your child with you, try the Hands on House Children's Museum.

www.handsonhouse.org

My two boys, ages 6 and 4 enjoyed it a lot. From there we headed west to the Lititiz Pike (Rt. 501). Lititz has a very charming "downtown" with a number of gift shops and the Sturgis Pretzel House which is the oldest commericial pretzel bakery in the U.S. You can twist your own pretzel there.

As far as restaurants, there's a great Peruvian/Mexican restaurant called El Serrano's which is on the western side of town on Columbia Avenue. I highly recommend it, but it may be out of your way if you're staying on the east side where Strasburg is.

www.elserrano.com

Enjoy your trip!

farmer's markets

You'll probably stumble across many without having to look too hard, but here's a guide anyway.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/a..._PAMarkets.pdf
    Last edited by lmb; 09-20-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Yeah, except you can't fill up because the full serve operators leave the last 1.5 gallons of your tank empty. No thanks.
    Let me get this straight: you don't want to buy gas in NJ, because they don't give you enough of it?

Are you talking about them not "topping off"? You realize that last bit of gas you're paying for either escapes to the atmosphere, spills to the ground, or is recaptured by the gas station, right?

thanks all!

the farmers markets and hands on museum are definitely on our list. The Peruvian restaurant looks great too.