Page 1512 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 51210121412146215021510151115121513151415221562161220122512 ... LastLast
Results 30,221 to 30,240 of 67420
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The main drag.

I think there are something like 33 different "Peachtree" right-of-ways in the city.
    Our local NPR station did a piece about this a few years back and cited the Regional Planning Commission in saying there are actually 71 such streets.
    If you say "Peachtree" alone, it just means Peachtree street, the one that runs from Buckhead to the heart of downtown.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Our local NPR station did a piece about this a few years back and cited the Regional Planning Commission in saying there are actually 71 such streets.
    If you say "Peachtree" alone, it just means Peachtree street, the one that runs from Buckhead to the heart of downtown.
    I lived in Buckhead one summer (when I was an intern at the CDC).

I could not work from home. I'd eat all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    When stopped on a steep-ish incline coming out of the underground parking garage at the Gard du Nord in Paris, a Fiat 500 is very hard to get back into gear. Thank goodness for handsome young Frenchmen who take pity on you.
    Apparently, vehicles come with some sort of hill assist for this now - at least the jeep a kid I know was learning on did. I consider it cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    You use your feet to type? That could explain a lot of typos. 😊

If the car is equipped with a hand operated emergency break, starting on a hill becomes much easier. I used it a lot in Atlanta.
    Never tried the hand brake method.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I could not work from home. I'd eat all day.
    I've solved that by not having much to munch on around the house.

I love taking off on a hill. Stop and go traffic - not so much.

Then I'd blast through a hay mow and catch the escaping bootleggers.

Yep, good times in the hills.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Then I'd blast through a hay mow and catch the escaping bootleggers.

Yep, good times in the hills.
    Interesting. I identify more with the bootleggers than the revenuers.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Apparently, vehicles come with some sort of hill assist for this now - at least the jeep a kid I know was learning on did. I consider it cheating.
    A Fiat 500 is not the type of car to come with any sort of assist.

Neither was a Fiat Tempra. I never had much success with the parking brake lever method.

Definitely. When visiting Brother Bob in Italy, they would need to pop the clutch to start their Fiat. Serenella carefully picked a parking spot so the car was pointing down hill so this could be done. Unfortunately, when she returned to the car, someone had parked in front of her. Some guys came along and just lifted the Fiat out into the unobstructed lane so she could go.

Any community solar plan participants in the crowd?

They do!

Both my rental in Ireland and the UK were manual transmissions, and they had the hill assist. No more using the brake + gas with one foot while you take off. And it most certainly is cheating!

I will say that driving a right-hand-drive car and shifting gears with my left hand was...interesting. Took me way back to when my dad would let us shift gears for him when I was a little kid.

Also, I maintain that allowing the handsome young Frenchman who was cheering me on from the sidewalk to finally, after 5 or 6 tries, get into my car and drive it out of the garage for me is not cheating.
    The Drewsk was in the car but not yet a licensed driver. After this incident (involving the third handsome Frenchman to offer me assistance in the span of a half hour, although, to be fair, one was not young), my son just looked at me and laughed. To which I responded, "I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers." I told you Parisians love me. The Drewsk will back me up on this.

Also, I maintain that allowing the handsome young Frenchman who was cheering me on from the sidewalk to finally, after 5 or 6 tries, get into my car and drive it out of the garage for me is not cheating.
    The Drewsk was in the car but not yet a licensed driver. After this incident (involving the third handsome Frenchman to offer me assistance in the span of a half hour, although, to be fair, one was not young), my son just looked at me and laughed. To which I responded, "I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers." I told you Parisians love me. The Drewsk will back me up on this.
    BD DuBois. C’est bien.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I've solved that by not having much to munch on around the house.
    I’ve solved not having much to munch on around the house by munching heavily until I run out of munchies, then I’m too fat and lazy to go to the store for more munchies, at least for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I’ve solved not having much to munch on around the house by munching heavily until I run out of munchies, then I’m too fat and lazy to go to the store for more munchies, at least for a little while.
    I made the mistake of going to Costco for the first time in a while - and I was hungry. Not a smart move.

I made the mistake of going to Costco for the first time in a while - and I was hungry. Not a smart move.
    Broke my record for food there last week, $553...I qualify for Geezer Hour, that's been great, place is nearly empty.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Broke my record for food there last week, $553...I qualify for Geezer Hour, that's been great, place is nearly empty.
    Spoke to someone in the Dallas area - she goes at 7pm on Wednesdays and it is empty. I tried 7ish on Thursday evening - didn't have any problem staying socially distant. I consider walking past someone in an aisle ok - not brushing shoulders, all masked, just a few second exposure. Everyone I saw had masks on and I don't recall seeing any that were wearing them improperly.