• Bumblebee (Dec 21)

10 23.26%
  • Glass (Jan 18)

8 18.60%
  • Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

35 81.40%
  • How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb 22)

5 11.63%
  • Field (all other films not named above)

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ohhh, this is getting to be fun...

Holmes and Watson gets skewered by The AV Club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Now at 4% on RT... 1 out of 26. Like our MOTM polls, seems like someone just had to be different.
    It has rocketed up to 6% on RT.

And prompted a trend of storming out of movie theaters.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...cid=spartanntp

My favorite review snippet so far:

"Usually, you’d have to watch the Golden Globes to see this much wasted talent. As it stands, the only compelling mystery about ‘Holmes & Watson’ is how so many funny people have been squeezed into such an unfunny movie, a movie that isn’t nearly smart enough to recognize how stupid it should have been.”

About to fall off the front page. Aquaman passed Bohemian Rhapsody...

So we have:

1. Grinch $265M -> $280M ($75M budget)
    2. Aquaman $189M -> $300
    3. Rhapsody $189 -> $210M ($52M budget)
    4. Ralph $176M -> $200M ($175M budget)
    5. Beasts $156 -> $165M ($200M budget)
    6. Spiderverse $104M -> $160M ($90M budget)
    7. Poppins $99M -> $175M

And at the OTHER end:

1. Marwen $8M -> $13M ($39M budget - could NOT have included advertising!)
    2. Mortal Engines $15M -> $20M ($100M budget)
    3. Robin Hood $30M -> $32M ($100M budget)
    4. Nutcracker $55M -> $57M ($120M budget)

To be released:
    Lego 2
    Dragon
    Glass

Poppins and Ralph are vulnerable.

The Golden Globes are going to have an impact on our contest as the surprising win by Bohemian Rap in Best Picture (plus the somewhat less surprising win for Best Actor, Remi Malek) should give that film a little extra boost this coming week. It won't be a massive boost, but I could see BR getting an extra $5 mil or so in total boxoffice out of this publicity.

Anyway, the weekend saw Aquaman again rule the boxoffice, its 3rd win in a row. Here is where the standing are at the moment:

1. The Grinch - $269.6 mil (close to all done, made $1.1 mil over the weekend)
    2. Aquaman - $259.7 mil ($30 mil more over the weekend. It will be the #1 movie of winter, which is just a shocker)
    3. Bohemian Rhapsody - $193.6 mil ($2.4 mil over this weekend and the Golden Globes should help it top $200 mil... I think it will end up in our top 5)
    4. Ralph Breaks the Internet - $187.1 mil ($4.6 mil weekend, I don't think it will quite catch BR, especially with kids going back to school)
    5. Fantastic Beasts 2 - $158.0 mil ($650k weekend, stick a fork in it, it is done)
    6. Mary Poppins Returns - $138.7 mil ($15.7 mil weekend, I think it will come up short of Ralph and likely ends as our #6 - #8 film)
    7. Spiderverse - $133.8 mil ($13 mil weekend, great staying power and the Golden Globe win could help... will be neck-and-neck with Poppins and I think Spidey barely finishes ahead)

There won't be anything significant at the boxoffice this weekend but the 18th brings Glass. I'm seeing a screening on the 15th and will report back. MNight can be hit and miss... the hits are great and the misses are godawful... if this is a hit, it could be a player as the mixing of several genres (horror, superhero, thriller, mystery) could lead to big boxoffice. The tracking figures are strong with talk this film could have a $60+ mil opening.

-Jason "it ain't over til the fat lady sings... or in our case, until the dragons are flying... early word is that HTTYD3 is really good" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

...There won't be anything significant at the boxoffice this weekend but the 18th brings Glass. I'm seeing a screening on the 15th and will report back. MNight can be hit and miss... the hits are great and the misses are godawful... if this is a hit, it could be a player as the mixing of several genres (horror, superhero, thriller, mystery) could lead to big boxoffice. The tracking figures are strong with talk this film could have a $60+ mil opening.

-Jason "it ain't over til the fat lady sings... or in our case, until the dragons are flying... early word is that HTTYD3 is really good" Evans
    Jason,
    Do you have any idea when you might be screening Lego 2? I loooooved the first one and am very excited to see the second. Doesn't matter for my contest entry, as I'm already cooked here, and I don't particularly care where LM2 finishes in the final box office tally; I'm just super pumped for it to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Jason,
    Do you have any idea when you might be screening Lego 2? I loooooved the first one and am very excited to see the second. Doesn't matter for my contest entry, as I'm already cooked here, and I don't particularly care where LM2 finishes in the final box office tally; I'm just super pumped for it to come out.
    Screenings typically get announced about 2-3 weeks before the film comes out. As a result, I probably won't hear anything about Lego 2 for a few more weeks at least.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

We should start to get some buzz on Glass pretty soon. Buena Vista Pictures is doing early screenings at Alamo Drafthouses all over the country on Friday and the world premiere happened last night in London. The fact that Disney is putting the film out there in a pretty big way more than a week ahead of its official opening is a sign they think the buzz will be quite good.

First few reviews for Glass were, um, less than stellar. "Film is a mess" and "M. Night's worst" are a couple of key terms I've noticed. Still early but not a good start.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    First few reviews for Glass were, um, less than stellar. "Film is a mess" and "M. Night's worst" are a couple of key terms I've noticed. Still early but not a good start.
    Wow...that bar is pretty low as it is.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Subterranean ...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I always here people trashing M. Nights movies. I'm just curious, what does the board think was his best movies? His worst?

He's obviously had some hits, and some misses. I'm just wondering when everyone fell out of love with his movies? (or films, depending on how you hold your tea cup)

There was a time when everyone thought he was a genius and could do no wrong, now it seems everybody is on the other side of the fence.

It reminds me of the hate people seem to have for the band Creed or Nickleback's music. They are constantly the punchline in jokes about good music, but somebody was buying all those millions of CD's back then!!!

For the record, Im not defending Creed or Nickleback, I never liked either of them. Even had a girl break up with me once back in the day because she was a Nickleback fanatic and I didn't want to go to their concert...again.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I always here people trashing M. Nights movies. I'm just curious, what does the board think was his best movies? His worst?

He's obviously had some hits, and some misses. I'm just wondering when everyone fell out of love with his movies? (or films, depending on how you hold your tea cup)

There was a time when everyone thought he was a genius and could do no wrong, now it seems everybody is on the other side of the fence.

It reminds me of the hate people seem to have for the band Creed or Nickleback's music. They are constantly the punchline in jokes about good music, but somebody was buying all those millions of CD's back then!!!

For the record, Im not defending Creed or Nickleback, I never liked either of them. Even had a girl break up with me once back in the day because she was a Nickleback fanatic and I didn't want to go to their concert...again.
    The Sixth Sense is widely regarded as his best (by a wide margin, I would say). I thought Unbreakable and Split were good/entertaining but not great. The only other ones I saw ranged from bad (Signs) to terrible (The Happening). I didn't bother with the rest, although it seems Wayward Pines was fairly well received.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    The Sixth Sense is widely regarded as his best (by a wide margin, I would say). I thought Unbreakable and Split were good/entertaining but not great. The only other ones I saw ranged from bad (Signs) to terrible (The Happening). I didn't bother with the rest, although it seems Wayward Pines was fairly well received.
    The Village sucked, I didn't bother wasting brain cells on the airbender movie.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I liked The Sixth Sense a lot, and thought they went progressively downhill from there, through The Village after which I stopped watching. I picked back up with The Visit, which I thought was pretty good, as was Split. I think his first was his best, but I'm encouraged by the last two (or was encouraged until hearing the early reactions to Glass).
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Sixth Sense is clearly the film with the most general appeal and it is really wonderful. That said, I think Unbreakable is his most compelling and best script. Split is also pretty good, thanks to McAvoy's amazing acting performance. Someone else could have made that role into a real mess.

Signs and The Village are watchable and are decent semi-horror fun that each fall apart in a really, really big way in the final third.

The Lady in the Water, The Happening, The Last Airbender, and After Earth are pretty much unwatchable. They make no sense and feature scripts that contain multiple, "well that is just the stupidest thing ever!" moments.

I did not see The Visit, but a lot of folks say it was a pretty good horror kinda film.

Here is a chart I built a while back when I had high hopes that Glass would be good:

… The Lady in the Water, The Happening, The Last Airbender, and After Earth are pretty much unwatchable. They make no sense and feature scripts that contain multiple, "well that is just the stupidest thing ever!" moments.

Here is a chart I built a while back when I had high hopes that Glass would be good:

There are TWO films worse than After Earth? Two?? Really?

I mean, in the entire history of cinema; there CANNOT be two films worse than After Earth.

FWIW, Glass is sitting at a pretty lousy 36% on RT, with over 30 reviews in. It won't be a competitor in the poll.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/glass_2019

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I mean, in the entire history of cinema; there CANNOT be two films worse than After Earth.
    See Troma Entertainment.

"Troma has produced, acquired and distributed over 1,000 independent films since its creation." (created in 1974)

In Troma's entire catalog, I think you'd have more trouble finding two better than After Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    See Troma Entertainment.

"Troma has produced, acquired and distributed over 1,000 independent films since its creation." (created in 1974)

In Troma's entire catalog, I think you'd have more trouble finding two better than After Earth.
    Give Toxic Avenger AE's budget! (Even on its cheap budget, Toxic Avenger is better. )

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    There are TWO films worse than After Earth? Two?? Really?

After Earth doesn't even make the bottom 100 on IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom

There are some movies so bad they are tolerable.