Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I was there. Dennis had trimmed down remarkably in the off season and we had brought the twinkies to throw. Dennis did, indeed, pick up a twinkie (one which was still in the wrapper) and ate it. He also accepted a challenge from the crazies to shoot it from near halfcourt in warmups. My memory says he drained it, but I'm not sure about that detail. But, heck, he drained everything else he put up that night, so why not?
    That's hilarious! But even then, he didn't necessarily bust his diet. It's calories in, calories out, as far as weight is concerned (not health - weight), and it can't really be any other way.

Dennis Scott was a great outside shooter. I think they had another guy after that who could bomb accurately from deep, but I forgot his name.

Sadly, I went to a home GT game at which Craig "Noodles" Neal had a great shooting game, and they beat us. He taunted the crowd afterward, and let's just say it wasn't received well. We did not like that guy ... of course, it's a lot easier to applaud a great performance by a visiting player when that valiant performance is part of an ultimately losing effort. But even then ... we really didn't like Noodles; I don't think we'd have applauded him even if he got 30/10/10 in a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Heck, I saw Coach K do that. I was behind the Duke bench a few rows and he made one of those Hulk-like motions (best and most concise way I can describe it!) at the officials. Riiippp went the jacket along the seam down the middle of the back. I think he may have then taken it off and, um, set it down for the rest of the game, but my memory is foggy after that. I can't even remember which game it was.

Subsequently, I would use that motion (gently) use to test the fit of suit jackets.
    With Coach K, the ripping of his jacket was a single episode if my memory is correct. With Jim Valvano, it was part of every game, especially when State played Duke or Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    With Coach K, the ripping of his jacket was a single episode if my memory is correct. With Jim Valvano, it was part of every game, especially when State played Duke or Carolina.
    I don't think it reflects badly on K if his suitcoat didn't hold up to vigorously begging to differ. But for Jimmy V, consider the too-slim cut of men's clothing in his era.

"It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worth while, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    There is a famous story from back in the early 70s when Maryland had a kid named Brian Magid who was no great player but did have legendary range, and during warm-ups a Duke student hopped out onto the court and laid a dollar bill on the floor about 35 ft. from the basket as a challenge. Magid dribbled over to the spot, nailed the shot, smiled to the crowd, picked up the bill and slipped it into his shorts to wild applause. I suspect someone on the forum can confirm/correct this Tale From the Past. (I graduated in '75 but somehow don't recall actually witnessing it myself.)
    I have heard the same story countless time, I believe it is true (although I cannot substantiate it), and I really want be believe it is true. With this said, were this to happen today, I suspect Maryland would receive some sort of NCAA violation for a player accepting unsanctioned monetary benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I don't think it reflects badly on K if his suitcoat didn't hold up to vigorously begging to differ. But for Jimmy V, consider the too-slim cut of men's clothing in his era.

"It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worth while, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.'"
    My comment wasn't intended to indicate that Coach K's lack of ripping his jackets was a negative reflection on him. As a graduate of the West Point, one would expect him to behave just as he does.

The point I was making about Coach Valvano is that he was passionate and demonstrated it sometimes to predictable extreme.... thus the ripped clothing. This was a regular part of his time on the court.

I was there...

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I was there. Dennis had trimmed down remarkably in the off season and we had brought the twinkies to throw. Dennis did, indeed, pick up a twinkie (one which was still in the wrapper) and ate it. He also accepted a challenge from the crazies to shoot it from near halfcourt in warmups. My memory says he drained it, but I'm not sure about that detail. But, heck, he drained everything else he put up that night, so why not?
    I will never forget this display. Dennis ended up alone in Cameron at the end of warmups. He kept shooting and stepping back, never missing. Just unreal. The crazies were definitely into it. And Dennis was having a ball.

He actually would dribble around. He faked taking a few half court shots and the crowd would definitely gasp a little each time he did. Finally as he looked to be leaving, he stopped at helf court, whipped around and, nylon. He raised his arms and walked off the court to a standing O. In today's age this would have been caught on video and posted immediately on YouTube. Alas it in only seared in a few thousand kids brains.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    During the late '90s I recall a "you can't dunk" chant during a Wake Forest pre-game layup line, leading to a Wake player dunking and shattering the backboard. Player and crowd got good laughs out of it.
    Football player and basketball walkon Ed Kargboogarogie (something like that).

to a dreadlocked player at the foul line:

"You shot the sheriff."

broke him up.

Tennis Balls; 'you can't dunk'; King Rice; JR Reid pillows and Shooter's Disco.

So, when I was at Duke, we used to throw tennis balls over the court while the players were warming up before the game. At any one time, there'd be three cans of balls popping over the court, and usually, each was confiscated by the Cameron Police. Funny thing is they never came out and said we couldn't throw them, so throw we did.

I did have a not-so-great interaction with Clemson's Horace Grant and the tennis ball that landed with me, so I'll leave it at that.

Tech had a guy who didn't seem like he could dunk (at all), at least in the warm-ups. Remember, back then we'd get into Cameron 1.5 hours before the tip so we a lot of time to mess with the poor victims. Well, we got on this guy with the 'you can't dunk' cheer, and I remember Dennis Scott leaning over to him whispering to him, and the guy goes over, grabs a basketball and proceeds to dunk two-handed with a twist and his back to the goal as he slammed it through.

I truly detested King Rice. They beat us by 20 my last year at Duke, and I'd been in line for two years it seemed, waiting to get into that game. After the game, we were all pretty stunned and as I was leaving the court, here comes the King out of the dressing room to do an interview for ESPN. He runs right by me (six inches) and gets in my face and yells 'HAAAAAAAAAAA!'.

Anyway, some of the best times in my life were spent right there in Cameron and I wish for those days to somehow channel back for me. Back then, I didn't really have to pay any bills. Now, a bill seems to come in the mail every two days.

And, JR Reid was known for moving people out of the way in the lane with his backside. Well, they'd put a brand new sound system in Cameron, and we put up that old rap song 'Doin' the butt', and the Blue Devil comes out with at least 5 pillows stuffed into his backside and a Reid jersey on and that song is blaring over the new sound system while the Holes are warming up; we would insert 'JR's gotta big ole butt! Oh yeah!!' into the lines of the song. Reid saw this and seemed pretty inflamed by this little skit. Reid also was involved in some altercation at Shooter's Disco over in Raleigh, so we merely got a good chant going about that, singing 'let's go to Shooter's' (clapx5). This really, really honked him off.

dukestheheat.

Quote Originally Posted by grit74 View Post
    "You shot the sheriff."

broke him up.
    That was the Alabama game, first round of the NIT in 1980. (Not 100% positive, but pretty sure.)

The Magid story is definitely true. Saw it myself.

One time Lefty showed up on crutches. One of the Crazies sat right behind him with cructhes. Lefty loved it.

Mrs. Norman Sloan used to sing the national anthem at State games. When State played at Duke, students would dress in drag and ostentatiously sing along with the NA.

Sloan was not amused. Actually, not much amused Norm Sloan. A starker personality contrast than that between Sloan and Valvano can scarcely be imagined.

My favorite occurred in the middle 1980s, when Carolina came to Cameron. Steve Hale was out with a punctured lung. The students chanted in-hale, ex-hale, in-hale,ex-hale at Hale. He loved it. Kudos to all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    I will never forget this display. Dennis ended up alone in Cameron at the end of warmups. He kept shooting and stepping back, never missing. Just unreal. The crazies were definitely into it. And Dennis was having a ball.

He actually would dribble around. He faked taking a few half court shots and the crowd would definitely gasp a little each time he did. Finally as he looked to be leaving, he stopped at helf court, whipped around and, nylon. He raised his arms and walked off the court to a standing O. In today's age this would have been caught on video and posted immediately on YouTube. Alas it in only seared in a few thousand kids brains.
    Thank you for keying my memory. You're right about those details, and it was stunning to watch. His in-game display was equally as stunning, though far more anxiety-inducing.

Because of that night, especially his pre-game fun, Dennis Scott remained one of my favorite non-Duke players for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    So, when I was at Duke, we used to throw tennis balls over the court while the players were warming up before the game. At any one time, there'd be three cans of balls popping over the court, and usually, each was confiscated by the Cameron Police. Funny thing is they never came out and said we couldn't throw them, so throw we did.

I did have a not-so-great interaction with Clemson's Horace Grant and the tennis ball that landed with me, so I'll leave it at that.

Tech had a guy who didn't seem like he could dunk (at all), at least in the warm-ups. Remember, back then we'd get into Cameron 1.5 hours before the tip so we a lot of time to mess with the poor victims. Well, we got on this guy with the 'you can't dunk' cheer, and I remember Dennis Scott leaning over to him whispering to him, and the guy goes over, grabs a basketball and proceeds to dunk two-handed with a twist and his back to the goal as he slammed it through.

I truly detested King Rice. They beat us by 20 my last year at Duke, and I'd been in line for two years it seemed, waiting to get into that game. After the game, we were all pretty stunned and as I was leaving the court, here comes the King out of the dressing room to do an interview for ESPN. He runs right by me (six inches) and gets in my face and yells 'HAAAAAAAAAAA!'.

Anyway, some of the best times in my life were spent right there in Cameron and I wish for those days to somehow channel back for me. Back then, I didn't really have to pay any bills. Now, a bill seems to come in the mail every two days.

And, JR Reid was known for moving people out of the way in the lane with his backside. Well, they'd put a brand new sound system in Cameron, and we put up that old rap song 'Doin' the butt', and the Blue Devil comes out with at least 5 pillows stuffed into his backside and a Reid jersey on and that song is blaring over the new sound system while the Holes are warming up; we would insert 'JR's gotta big ole butt! Oh yeah!!' into the lines of the song. Reid saw this and seemed pretty inflamed by this little skit. Reid also was involved in some altercation at Shooter's Disco over in Raleigh, so we merely got a good chant going about that, singing 'let's go to Shooter's' (clapx5). This really, really honked him off.

dukestheheat.
    DA Butt! That's great. Here's the video for the young ones who don't recall this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypcs4c7ihSo

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

One time Lefty showed up on crutches. One of the Crazies sat right behind him with cructhes. Lefty loved it.

Mrs. Norman Sloan used to sing the national anthem at State games. When State played at Duke, students would dress in drag and ostentatiously sing along with the NA.

Sloan was not amused. Actually, not much amused Norm Sloan. A starker personality contrast than that between Sloan and Valvano can scarcely be imagined.

My favorite occurred in the middle 1980s, when Carolina came to Cameron. Steve Hale was out with a punctured lung. The students chanted in-hale, ex-hale, in-hale,ex-hale at Hale. He loved it. Kudos to all concerned.
    Thank you Jim, and others above. If it was '76 or '77 that would explain why I didn't get to see it. I was, however, present at what must have been the year or two before that when Maryland did lose, and Len Elmore last night again referred to only losing in Cameron once in his career. What he failed to add, of course, is that Maryland was heavily favored in all of those games... Let's take them down yet again this Sunday for old time's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Thank you Jim, and others above. If it was '76 or '77 that would explain why I didn't get to see it. I was, however, present at what must have been the year or two before that when Maryland did lose, and Len Elmore last night again referred to only losing in Cameron once in his career. What he failed to add, of course, is that Maryland was heavily favored in all of those games... Let's take them down yet again this Sunday for old time's sake.
    For the record, Duke defeated Maryland 68-59 on 2-26-72 and 85-81 on 2-3-73, both at Cameron. Gary Melchionni had a game for the ages in 1973, with 39 points.

Elmore played in both games.

Duke did not beat Maryland in College Park during Elmore's tenure and Maryland defeated Duke in the 1974 ACCT.

My favorite game in Cameron. Senior night for Johnny, Mark, Jay, Hendu . . . .

And a big Duke victory.

I actually snuck a bottle of champagne into the game. Took the wire basket off the cork with about a minute to go. Dean, of course, somehow made the last minute of game clock time drag out to about 10 minutes. The cork went off by itself somewhere in that time span, never knew where it came down.

Sounded like a gunshot, though.

My daughter roomed with his daughter for 1 session of summer school in 2008. I told her this story at the time and she just howled. She didn't have the heart/courage to discuss it with her then.

For the record, Duke defeated Maryland 68-59 on 2-26-72 and 85-81 on 2-3-73, both at Cameron. Gary Melchionni had a game for the ages in 1973, with 39 points.

Elmore played in both games.

Duke did not beat Maryland in College Park during Elmore's tenure and Maryland defeated Duke in the 1974 ACCT.
    His memory is getting as bad as his commentaries.

This thread -- and it's a great one -- has concerned opponents reacting with élan, humor and taste to our Crazies' antics. Please permit me to offer an absolutely factual incident where an adversary behaved in a less-than-classy manner.

During my son-in-law's last year at Fuqua, he was a rabid Crazy and he especially detested UNC (hardly surprising, and certainly appropriate); it's important to understand that Jason is about 5'8" and weighed perhaps 120 pounds. Serge Zwikker was Dean Smith's starting center when the Heels played in Cameron in 1997. Jason had a terrific seat and was able to ride Zwikker mercilessly during warmups and throughout the first half. As the Heels left the floor at halftime, Jason yelled directly into Serge's face, "Hey Zwikker, you suck," at which point Zwikker attempted to jump into Cameron's bleachers to go after Jason. Only the speedy physical cohesion of the Crazies saved Jason from Zwikker (either of whose legs were probably larger than Jason). I often thank our fellow Crazies for permitting our grandchildren to bless our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    That was the Alabama game, first round of the NIT in 1980. (Not 100% positive, but pretty sure.)
    It was a preseason exhibition game in 1996.