Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Talking The Mike and Len Show

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Luckily, many of Len's mumbled ramblings were drowned out last night. What was he muttering about Cameron and it's reputation, blah blah blah?

Len and Karl Hess, candidates for smackdowns with the gold-painted wiffle ball bat...
    My main problem with Len is that he doesn't recognize that basketball is a game, where players and fans are supposed to be having fun. (Coaches? Not so much.) That's why I think Raftery is such a good analyst.

On the question of what it was like to play at Cameron, I thought initially the fault was Mike Patrick's, who threw Len a 100 MPH screwball because Duke was lousy during Len's time at Maryland (8-24 in the ACC), and Len couldn't exactly say, "This place was no problem then, because the team was so bad." Fact is, Len couldn't figure out what to say, so he just gave us 90 seconds of muttering.

Turns out that even that was wrong. I thought I heard him say that he was 3-0 playing at Cameron (freshman became eligible after his sophomore year). Fact is, Duke beat Maryland two out of his three years.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Turns out that even that was wrong. I thought I heard him say that he was 3-0 playing at Cameron (freshman became eligible after his sophomore year). Fact is, Duke beat Maryland two out of his three years.
    I'm pretty sure he said something about two out of three. Although I thought he said he won two out of three. I'm almost certain he did not say he was 3-0.

Nolan Smith has been an absolute assassin out there. His efficiency on offense and anticipation on defense have been otherworldly lately. I'm just hoping that Kyle finds his stroke sometime during ACC play. Otherwise, I think Duke will definitely drop a few road games.

Quote Originally Posted by J_C_Steel View Post
    I'm just hoping that Kyle finds his stroke sometime during ACC play. Otherwise, I think Duke will definitely drop a few road games.
    During the only period that one could argue the score mattered, Kyle shot wonderfully -- he hit four of his first five shots, including two long threes. He'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    During the only period that one could argue the score mattered, Kyle shot wonderfully -- he hit four of his first five shots, including two long threes. He'll be fine.
    Situationally, he's been great. But Duke's defense this year -- in my humble opinion -- isn't quite as good as it was last year. That means the team won't be able to slog through Kyle's offensive slumps without losing to decent ACC teams on the road (particularly if Kyle is taking between 15 and 20 shots).

Quote Originally Posted by J_C_Steel View Post
    Situationally, he's been great. But Duke's defense this year -- in my humble opinion -- isn't quite as good as it was last year. That means the team won't be able to slog through Kyle's offensive slumps without losing to decent ACC teams on the road (particularly if Kyle is taking between 15 and 20 shots).
    My theory is that the game is so "slow" for him right now that he loses concentration when he's not sufficiently challenged (like last night after the team got up 26-4), and that's why he sometimes goes into mid-game shooting slumps. If I'm right (and of course I have no idea if I am) then we won't see the slumps nearly as much in tight games.

My theory is that the game is so "slow" for him right now that he loses concentration when he's not sufficiently challenged (like last night after the team got up 26-4), and that's why he sometimes goes into mid-game shooting slumps. If I'm right (and of course I have no idea if I am) then we won't see the slumps nearly as much in tight games.
    I will hope that you are 100% right.

This could be part of the story. Bottom line, any player is going to go through slumps. I think, with Kyle, the coaching staff is likely pushing him to aggressively look for his shot. For the team to have offensive balance, which will force opposing defenses to work harder, both Kyle and Nolan need to get shots up. Even if Kyle takes an awkward fall-away shot or two from the baseline, it forces the opposing defense to react differently, which might open up different offensive rebounding angles for our other bigs, etc. I think some of what appears to be sketchy shot selection, and the resulting poor shooting %, can be traced to the coaches pushing him hard to keep looking for his shot.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If they're gonna keep giving him the lane, he should keep taking it.

Plenty of other players got shots -- they just didn't fall on a regular basis. I am sure that if Kyle started hitting, or Andre ripped off two or three in a row, they'd get a steady diet of passes from Nolan and the rest of the team.
    Agreed. Also, Kyle took plenty of shots in the second half, 11 I think, while shooting a relatively poor percentage. If anyone should have taken fewer shots last night, it was him, not Smitty.
    I recognize that it was but one cold game for Kyle, and that K has always preached for players to keep attacking and expect that the percentages will come around (which they generally do). I am not worried about Kyle at all. The main point of my post, I guess, is that while there are legitimate concerns with regard to the team's overall potential, Nolan (and Kyle) do not, to me, qualify as such.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Agreed. Also, Kyle took plenty of shots in the second half, 11 I think, while shooting a relatively poor percentage. If anyone should have taken fewer shots last night, it was him, not Smitty.
    I recognize that it was but one cold game for Kyle, and that K has always preached for players to keep attacking and expect that the percentages will come around (which they generally do). I am not worried about Kyle at all. The main point of my post, I guess, is that while there are legitimate concerns with regard to the team's overall potential, Nolan (and Kyle) do not, to me, qualify as such.
    I think a great rule of thumb is when your shots are not falling (ie 3 or 4 misses in a row) you should attack the basket and get to the foul line. But contested jumpers are not the best option. We have too many offensive weapons to be shooting those.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I think a great rule of thumb is when your shots are not falling (ie 3 or 4 misses in a row) you should attack the basket and get to the foul line. But contested jumpers are not the best option. We have too many offensive weapons to be shooting those.
    I mentioned in the post game thread it seemed like Kyle lost his groove a little when he started trying to post up the smaller defender. On several occasions he left baby hooks and other post moves short - almost like he didn't know where he was on the court. In the first half, when he was playing his usual role, he was firing on all cylinders. Since Kyle doesn't play with his back to the basket very often, I am not too concerned with last night.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I mentioned in the post game thread it seemed like Kyle lost his groove a little when he started trying to post up the smaller defender. On several occasions he left baby hooks and other post moves short - almost like he didn't know where he was on the court. In the first half, when he was playing his usual role, he was firing on all cylinders. Since Kyle doesn't play with his back to the basket very often, I am not too concerned with last night.
    He scored with a flash to the block against Miami - got the ball up very quickly. But last night he was not as quick and the defender was ready and help came.

I'm sure we'll see that quick post up move more often and it could be a go to for us in the post season.

I think Sullinger is the favorite. I think Walker will fall out of the race as the season progresses because his efficiency will gradually decline from carrying such a heavy load for UConn, and I think NPOY will go to the best player on a 1 seed team. OSU, Kansas, and Duke project to having strong 1-seed type seasons, and once football season is over, there will be continual media focus on those three teams and debates as to which team is the best. Therefore, I would expect that NPOY will go to a player from one of those three teams.

Again, I think Sullinger is the favorite, but I would LOVE to see Nolan win because I want to see his jersey retired. The '91/'92 titles teams got three jerseys retired. The '01 title team got two jerseys retired.

I think it would feel "right" if the '10 title team got at least two jerseys retired as well. Unless there's a huge surprise, I don't think Scheyer is happening. But I would love to see Smith join Singler in the rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think it would feel "right" if the '10 title team got at least two jerseys retired as well. Unless there's a huge surprise, I don't think Scheyer is happening. But I would love to see Smith join Singler in the rafters.
    Plus, it would almost certainly bring Jumbo out of hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think Sullinger is the favorite. I think Walker will fall out of the race as the season progresses because his efficiency will gradually decline from carrying such a heavy load for UConn, and I think NPOY will go to the best player on a 1 seed team. OSU, Kansas, and Duke project to having strong 1-seed type seasons, and once football season is over, there will be continual media focus on those three teams and debates as to which team is the best. Therefore, I would expect that NPOY will go to a player from one of those three teams.

Again, I think Sullinger is the favorite, but I would LOVE to see Nolan win because I want to see his jersey retired. The '91/'92 titles teams got three jerseys retired. The '01 title team got two jerseys retired.

I agree pretty much across the board here. I think that Sullinger is probably the favorite right now. It's definitely too early to say, though. Remember - at this time last year, John Wall was considered among the favorites (and Scheyer was definitely in the discussion) before Evan Turner eventually took over. So a number of guys (including but not limited to Smith) could overtake Sullinger. This is especially true if Ohio State cools off a bit in conference play. And if Smith keeps putting up cartoon numbers, he may pass Sullinger either way.

This is tangential, but if Irving were to come back healthy and in shape, it's interesting to think about where Duke's backcourt could rank in recent college basketball history. That would be two NPOY contending guys in one backcourt, and arguably simply the top point guard and top shooting guard. Plus two backups that would each start on most (every?) other team in the country.

Other recent really good ones: 2002 Duke, 2005 Illinois, 2006 Villanova, 2007 UCLA, 2008 Memphis, 2009 UNC.

Nolan's Mom

ESPN showed her at the game yesterday. Does anyone know if she comes often.

Nolan was absolutely brilliant yesterday. I wondered if maybe he wanted to show her what he could do.

SoCal

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    ESPN showed her at the game yesterday. Does anyone know if she comes often.

Nolan was absolutely brilliant yesterday. I wondered if maybe he wanted to show her what he could do.

SoCal
    She is at every home game sitting in the same seat. Not sure on the road games but I imagine she catches most of them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ngs/index.html

Check out Luke Winn's points on Nolan's performance in his power rankings this week (FTR, if you guys aren't reading these things, they're beyond awesome).
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Nolan poll skew!!!!!

Yahoo asking who the mid-season POY is.

-Jason "you know what to do!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?