Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes 2022

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We are getting thoroughly soaked here in eastern NC. I expect by the end of the day for our back yard to be a pond. That's happened before with any 2 day drenching. Ian is mixed with a cold front here for us, so our rain is little more just from that. Just a gross weather day in general.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    This storm path reminds me of Hugo's in '89. That was a small, strong fast moving storm. It dropped a large oak tree on my aunt's cabin near Elkin, NC. (No one was home at the time.)

Where I am now, in Greenville, SC, we are expecting some winds and rain. Nothing too nasty.
    Yep, I was at Wake then and a HUGE oak tree fell across the main entrance to campus. Cancelled classes that day b/c so many profs couldn't get into W-S.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Another ripple effect.

Hurricane Ian could cripple Florida's already-fragile homeowners insurance market. Experts say a major storm like Ian could push some of those insurance companies into insolvency, making it harder for people to collect on claims.
    "Every policy holder in the state of Florida, home and auto, should be watching this storm very carefully because it could have a direct impact on their pocketbooks," said Brandes. He predicts policy holders will see rate hikes of up to 40% next year as a result of Ian.
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/hurricane-...164500343.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    This storm path reminds me of Hugo's in '89. That was a small, strong fast moving storm. It dropped a large oak tree on my aunt's cabin near Elkin, NC. (No one was home at the time.)

Where I am now, in Greenville, SC, we are expecting some winds and rain. Nothing too nasty.
    I'm thankful it's not .hugo gave me a bit of ptsd towards hurricanes 🌀. I hold it together but I get to level 10 stress wise in these storms .
    I heard a few pops a little while ago.not sure if it was trees but something down the street went wrong.
    It's picking up some now .probably a few more hours . I'm showing 60 degrees outside .
    Which is strange .

Ready for it to hit land and die out.

We have a family friend that is on oxygen . I'm not quite sure how long those batteries last if power goes out.
    If it does me and my kid will load up a extra generator I have and a few cans of gas. we will dive over and get him some power .storm or not .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I hold it together but I get to level 10 stress wise in these storms .
    That's the worst of it for us. Dealing with the storm itself is one thing, but we are just on edge for the whole week prior since there are so many variables. We prepare the best we can, but everything is up in the air as far as making plans and just the general communal feeling of worry with all of your neighbors, even when we all aren't expecting much.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I know there in the buisness of making money .but they go years collecting policies premiums with ridiculous deductibles 1-5 % hurricanes. 5% earthquake here.
    Your talking 3000 to 15000 out of pocket. With a median 57k income in fla
    That's a stretch for a lot of people .
    Deductibles need to be capped .

I'm thankful it's not .hugo gave me a bit of ptsd towards hurricanes 🌀. I hold it together but I get to level 10 stress wise in these storms .
    I heard a few pops a little while ago.not sure if it was trees but something down the street went wrong.
    It's picking up some now .probably a few more hours . I'm showing 60 degrees outside .
    Which is strange .

Ready for it to hit land and die out.

We have a family friend that is on oxygen . I'm not quite sure how long those batteries last if power goes out.
    If it does me and my kid will load up a extra generator I have and a few cans of gas. we will dive over and get him some power .storm or not .
    Prayers that power doesn't go out for the friend and so you don't have to venture out. What a good friend you are to be ready for needed.

I know there in the buisness of making money .but they go years collecting policies premiums with ridiculous deductibles 1-5 % hurricanes. 5% earthquake here.
    Your talking 3000 to 15000 out of pocket. With a median 57k income in fla
    That's a stretch for a lot of people .
    Deductibles need to be capped .
    I don’t mean to be insensitive at a difficult time, but it is a free market and insurance companies are in the business of making money. It is not a monopoly and if a company could come in and underprice the current market and still make money, they would.

At some point insurers will stop insuring homes and businesses in risky areas. And the government should not be backstopping it. Something should be done to support those who already live there but anyone who builds or buys now should be doing it at their own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I don’t mean to be insensitive at a difficult time, but it is a free market and insurance companies are in the business of making money. It is not a monopoly and if a company could come in and underprice the current market and still make money, they would.

At some point insurers will stop insuring homes and businesses in risky areas. And the government should not be backstopping it. Something should be done to support those who already live there but anyone who builds or buys now should be doing it at their own risk.
    The problem is that global warming is going to make living in the southern coastal areas an increasingly difficult economic prospect. The question is whether we are going to allow the markets (insurance and others) to reflect this fact. If we do, I suspect the population of our coastal areas is going to decrease over the next 20 years or so. I know that seems unlikely now, but this trend of building in hurricane prone areas is fairly new. When I first moved to Wilmington NC in 1975, there was a lot less development on Wrightsville/Kure/Carolina Beaches. Earlier generations also liked the beach: they just didn't think it was so smart to build there. I'm afraid that lesson is going to be relearned the hard way.

We decided to postpone our trip to Myrtle Beach by canceling Friday and Saturday nights stay. We plan on going Sunday. We tried to stay on top of the news on Ian but when the storm changed from tropical storm warnings to hurricane warnings, we decided to wait. I didn't like the idea of driving into a potential hurricane today. Prayer for all that have been in the path of this destructive storm.

Duke cancelled classes for this afternoon due to wind. Seems like overkill, given the forecast...or at least, I hope it is!

At some point insurers will stop insuring homes and businesses in risky areas.
    And the government should not be backstopping it. Something should be done to support those who already live there but anyone who builds or buys now should be doing it at their own risk.
    As it is, private insurers have basically abandoned providing flood insurance in FL because of the risks. You can get it from the federal government, which means it's clearly subsidized by taxes.

as Bluedog mentions, the government HAS been backstopping flood insurance in ultra high risk areas. I'm very familiar with Topsail Island, and there was a HUGE uproar from coastal property owners when the Feds wanted to reduce their subsidies.
    (Don't get me started on PPB material). Many people I have found down there are dead set against Feb subsidies unless it is their ox getting gored, in which case it's pretty much OK. I've been having this debate down there since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    The problem is that global warming is going to make living in the southern coastal areas an increasingly difficult economic prospect. The question is whether we are going to allow the markets (insurance and others) to reflect this fact. If we do, I suspect the population of our coastal areas is going to decrease over the next 20 years or so. I know that seems unlikely now, but this trend of building in hurricane prone areas is fairly new. When I first moved to Wilmington NC in 1975, there was a lot less development on Wrightsville/Kure/Carolina Beaches. Earlier generations also liked the beach: they just didn't think it was so smart to build there. I'm afraid that lesson is going to be relearned the hard way.
    I'm 15 to 20 miles from the beaches.
    Flood insurance is fairly cheap 450 a yr.
    What's boggling is we haven't had a major earthquake since 1886 .
    The deductibles and policy is still outrageous.

50 plus miles from the coast .you get the same policies. That's a good bit inland .I have been looking at homes
    Talking to my agent with the inevitable what ifs.
    If your on the beach or the islands I can see a increase .
    While in some cases I'm sure it's warranted . But I believe its being used for the advantage .we don't get major hurricanes to often here .

Speaking of wilmigton grandparents have a home on lullwater right on the bad curve. They built the brick house yellow trim for about 20 k or so lol .
    The defiantly got thier money's worth .

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    as Bluedog mentions, the government HAS been backstopping flood insurance in ultra high risk areas. I'm very familiar with Topsail Island, and there was a HUGE uproar from coastal property owners when the Feds wanted to reduce their subsidies.
    (Don't get me started on PPB material). Many people I have found down there are dead set against Feb subsidies unless it is their ox getting gored, in which case it's pretty much OK. I've been having this debate down there since 2007.
    Somehow this reminds of when the Federal Government stopped providing subsidies to tobacco growers. It took much longer than it should have, but eventually those subsidies went away. I do think eventually the coastal insurance subsidies will start to go down the same path. I've got nothing against people living at the coast, but subsidizing their insurance should be pretty low on our priorities. At least the coastal residents aren't growing an addictive poison...

We are getting pretty good winds now.unfortantely my neighbors second story window is about 5 inches open .they aren't home .a branch broke a vent cap on my side about 10 ft up.
    Just ran up a ladder and put press and seal wrap over it.
    Now I have a minor leak .I'll have to fix
    The vent and some sheet rock.

Crudy picture but you can see window open.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    We decided to postpone our trip to Myrtle Beach by canceling Friday and Saturday nights stay. We plan on going Sunday. We tried to stay on top of the news on Ian but when the storm changed from tropical storm warnings to hurricane warnings, we decided to wait. I didn't like the idea of driving into a potential hurricane today. Prayer for all that have been in the path of this destructive storm.
    So far so good. Eye must be close because we've only had light rain and winds the last couple of hours. I was able to take the dog out. We should be complete out of it by sun down. Looks like just normal tree debris to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    As it is, private insurers have basically abandoned providing flood insurance in FL because of the risks. You can get it from the federal government, which means it's clearly subsidized by taxes.
    Not for much longer. Nation Flood Insurance Program has been reducing the subsidization slowly for a decade now. They've moved to Risk Rating 2.0 and are on track to phase out NFIP subsidies. People will be paying the market rate eventually. My commercial premiums were going up 25% (the Feds capped it after they first tired to do the full increase and the uproar) after 2012 until it hit market rate.

What's boggling is we haven't had a major earthquake since 1886 .
    The deductibles and policy is still outrageous.
    You got two fault lines down there. 100 miles up the coast it's $75 a year.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 09-30-2022 at 03:09 PM.

5pm, nary a drop here in Asheville.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Lotsa wind in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Nary's coming.
    Here in New Bern, it's gone from almost sunny to torrential downpours, back to mostly sunny. Lots of "flooding" downtown and other low lying areas, but thanks to Florence, i don't think there's much actual damage since most of the previously affected houses have been rebuilt and lifted. There might be a few businesses downtown that actually got water in their doors, but I have no pity for them. That's sounds harsh, but they all saw what can happen just 4 years ago.
    Now, all of this is from a "brushing". More brushings are coming, along with more direct impacts. If you didn't learn your lesson when it was spelled out to you, well, then sucks to be you, but I'm not sorry.
    It's like watching major beach erosion, then deciding that spending a couple million to build your beach house is a smart idea.

As for me personally a decent distance from the river, our yard has ankle deep water in it. That was expected, and our garden which hadn't seen rain in over 2 weeks is very happy.