Page 105 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 555951031041051061071151552056051105 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 67398
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Say what? Wilson, have you been smoking crack again?
    Nope, no crack for me. I just saw that there seemed to be a consensus that conversation in the LTE was lagging, so I figured we could get some good mileage out of "Would you rather?". It always works with my friends.

BTW, the LTE just finished WWII. OMG! TTYL!

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Nope, the number just went up by 2 since yesterday, and it's still not showing names. OMG WHO IS STALKING ME? :-p
    I guess it's one of the nameless millions who reads the board but doesn't have a login. Though I couldn't tell you if it's even possible to read a user's profile if you aren't a member.

I think I found a bug in the new code. Check out this poll. Am I crazy, or should those percentages add up to 100 and not whatever they add up to?

that's a multiple choice poll, so likely it shouldn't add up to a 100

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    I think I found a bug in the new code. Check out this poll. Am I crazy, or should those percentages add up to 100 and not whatever they add up to?
    I never did understand the new math.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Which will we hit first, 100 pages or 2000 posts?

My guess is 100 pages, but will it float?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Here's a new topic, I think. You know how there are songs that lots of people get the lyrics wrong, excuse me, while I kiss this guy. Anybody have one that they got wrong that everyone else wonders what is the matter with them? I heard an '80s era REM tune on the radio today, 'Your Brown Eyes', the rest of you probably know it as 'Pilgrimage'. Anybody else?

Tilly, yes, I saw the doctor. He told me that although I probably could finish one more marathon, I shouldn't make a habit of running them. My kneecap doesn't track properly and no amount of weight training, physical therapy, getting the right shoes is ever going to completely change that. He did however tell me that if I'm really determined to run again next year, I should start physical therapy now. He also said I should do much more cross-training than I have been. Ugh, I hate swimming, but I will have to do that and the stationary bicycle almost as much as running. Finally, he said I should not do a training run of more than 12 miles after January. He said that my knees will flare up no matter what I do and that I should save it for race day. He told me any run of more than 12 miles will take me about 3 months to completely recover from. He did however say that I've done no permanent damage, my ligaments and cartiledge are fine, I don't need surgery, and that running 3-6 miles shouldn't give me too much problem in the future if that's how I want to get my exercise in general.

So my current plan is to do a 15 mile run sometime this summer, an 18 mile run sometime in the fall and a 20 miler in January just to get them in. Then I'll do 3-6 twice a week with a swim and a cycle mixed in, a couple of 10-12 milers in the 6 weeks before the marathon and hope for the best. So, yeah, I'm in, one more time. Next year is the 113th and 13 is my lucky number. Six hours or bust.
    Cross-training: what about doing the elliptical instead of swimming? Just a thought.

Doctor: Glad he didn't tell you to stop running. Never trust a doctor who tells you to stop doing something you enjoy.

Mixed up lyrics: Ohh yeah, have definitely done that a time or two. The one I'm most embarrassed/proud of is "we're living in a poly gag that's giving off sparks." Who knows the correct lyric? Thank God for the internet as now I can look up lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    that's a multiple choice poll, so likely it shouldn't add up to a 100
    Ahh, I didn't notice that was multiple choice. I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    A few years ago, Emory started a new tradition for its commencement. The 50th year alumni (plus those who have more than 50 years) are invited to take part in commencement. They are given special medallions and completely gold graduation gowns. They sit as a group among the degree awardees, and are conferred special status during the ceremony. It's really nice to see all generations taking part in commencement.

I don't recall seeing this tradition before. Does anyone know of this tradition elsewhere?

Thanks,
    Lavabe
    A few years ago, UGA used to plan their 50 year reunion to be the same weekend as graduation. The 50 year alumni were invited to the ceremony and they would sit in the President's Box in the football stadium and the President would acknowledge them during the ceremony. I think they changed it because of the difficulty of getting people around during graduation weekend.

I don't want to speak ill of the dead since I hear he passed away about 6 years ago, but Stephen J Gould was horrible as a commencement speaker. He actually scolded us during his speech for not paying enough attention to him. 89 graduates please speak up and agree.

I seem to remember Jimmy Carter having a very good graduation speech at Duke in 1997. It was certainly better than GHW Bush's in 1998. I looked for it online, but couldn't find it. I didn't hear it live, but reading it afterwards I thought it was clever and thought provoking, without going on too long.

I do remember that afterwards someone asked him for a copy of his speech to publish on the website, and he handed them a notecard with four words on it, representing the four topics he wanted to speak about. Good story.

Anyone attend that day in '97 have a different memory?
    "There can BE only one."

Can Someone Please Tell Me Who Spoke At Duke This Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Can Someone Please Tell Me Who Spoke At Duke This Year?
    Here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
    I wasn't there and didn't hear it, but here's a link to the whole thing... 2008 Commencement Address by Barbara Kingsolver.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Here you go.
    Thanks Tilly!!!

Bonnie Tyler!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    The one I'm most embarrassed/proud of is "we're living in a poly gag that's giving off sparks." Who knows the correct lyric? Thank God for the internet as now I can look up lyrics.
    "We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks." And yes, I actually knew the song, just had to listen to the lyrics to get it right. Check it at about the 2:03 minute mark. I almost added that song as one of my most embarrassing.
    Last edited by 2535Miles; 05-16-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Link to "Too embarrassed to admit thread..."

Red face Mixed-up lyrics

The girl with colitis goes by!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Lavabe, that's really bad.

Finally, the movie stars without makeup ad has disappeared. I wonder what made that finally happen. Did anyone ever figure out why the pictures had names sometimes and no names others?

(I hope this doesn't bring it back! )

Question More mixed up lyrics... and titles

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Lavabe, that's really bad.
    It didn't register me the first time I heard "Lucy," but then I read an article about mixed up lyrics, and it's stuck with me ever since. Makes more sense than "kaleidoscope eyes."

REM's "Stand" made no sense to me; I thought they were singing about a guy named Stan.

I'm more confused about the TITLES of some songs. Why did the Who call it Baba O'Riley?