Crimes of Grindelwald (Spoilers)

Enjoyed the movie, but it wasn't great. It lacked a sense of fun and adventure. Some questions:

Can Credence really be Dumbledore's brother? He would have been born after Albus's father was in Azkaban and after his mother was dead. Is Grindelwald lying to Credence? Could it somehow be that Ariana's obscurus has found a new host in Credence, but that Credence isn't actually his brother?

Also, there is some buzz about mcgonagall being in hogwarts, when she was born in 1935 according to canon. Is that an error?

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post

Also, there is some buzz about mcgonagall being in hogwarts, when she was born in 1935 according to canon. Is that an error?
    I don’t recall McGonagall’s bday being discussed in the books. Where was that?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I don’t recall McGonagall’s bday being discussed in the books. Where was that?
    You have to piece multiple things together. On Pottermore, JKR writes that McG started teaching at Hogwarts just 2 years after she finished school and joined the Ministry, where sh hated her job. In the books, she tells Umbridge that she has been teaching at Hogwarts for 39 years (in 1995). That means she would have finished school in 1954, so born in approx 1935. In any case, she's far too young to have been an adult professor in the flashback scene of Newt as a child, which would have been in 1910-1915 or so.

Also, the 39 years comment alone means she would not have been teaching there when Newt was a child.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    You have to piece multiple things together. On Pottermore, JKR writes that McG started teaching at Hogwarts just 2 years after she finished school and joined the Ministry, where sh hated her job. In the books, she tells Umbridge that she has been teaching at Hogwarts for 39 years (in 1995). That means she would have finished school in 1954, so born in approx 1935. In any case, she's far too young to have been an adult professor in the flashback scene of Newt as a child, which would have been in 1910-1915 or so.

Also, the 39 years comment alone means she would not have been teaching there when Newt was a child.
    Interesting. I have never delved into anything outside of the books, which I enjoyed. Also, FWIW, I am not bothered by minor changes in timeline as the story expands. That said, there was no real reason to include her in this movie. I wonder if she will play a more significant role in the next installment?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Interesting. I have never delved into anything outside of the books, which I enjoyed. Also, FWIW, I am not bothered by minor changes in timeline as the story expands. That said, there was no real reason to include her in this movie. I wonder if she will play a more significant role in the next installment?
    In the McGonagall case, I agree - not bothered, just curious. In the Credence case, the events involving Albus's parents were well documented and an important plot point in the books. Retconning that would not be cool IMO. I am hopeful that's not what she is doing.