Page 2082 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 108215821982203220722080208120822083208420922132218225823082 ... LastLast
Results 41,621 to 41,640 of 67385
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It has been nearly 30 years since the men's world long jump record was set. The high jump record was set 28 years ago. Are people just less athletic these days?
    No, IMHO, when it comes to these events, we have reached the limits of what the human body can do. Remember, when Mike Powell set the long jump record in 1991, he was breaking Bob Beamon's record from 1968 which is still the second longest ever. Since we started keeping records, two men (over a span of 53 years) have jumped at least 8.9 meters. Each of them only did it once (unaided). Mike Powell jumped longer at altitude and at least one other person has exceeded 8.9 meters at altitude.

I went and looked it up, since 1900, 4 men have held the long jump record for more than 20 years. Someday, someone will break Powell's record, by a little bit, and then they will hold the record for decades. Training and nutrition and equipment have done all they can. Add in perfect genetics and on a lucky day, we might get someone who jumps over 9 meters, but it won't be by much, and they won't do it on a regular basis.

Sotomayor is the only man ever to jump over 8ft (2.44 meters). He did it twice.

The women's high jump record has stood for 34 years now, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    No, IMHO, when it comes to these events, we have reached the limits of what the human body can do. Remember, when Mike Powell set the long jump record in 1991, he was breaking Bob Beamon's record from 1968 which is still the second longest ever. Since we started keeping records, two men (over a span of 53 years) have jumped at least 8.9 meters. Each of them only did it once (unaided). Mike Powell jumped longer at altitude and at least one other person has exceeded 8.9 meters at altitude.

I went and looked it up, since 1900, 4 men have held the long jump record for more than 20 years. Someday, someone will break Powell's record, by a little bit, and then they will hold the record for decades. Training and nutrition and equipment have done all they can. Add in perfect genetics and on a lucky day, we might get someone who jumps over 9 meters, but it won't be by much, and they won't do it on a regular basis.

Sotomayor is the only man ever to jump over 8ft (2.44 meters). He did it twice.

The women's high jump record has stood for 34 years now, btw.
    Fun topic and a lot going on here. I would also suggest that the wide disparity between the amount of money a superlative athlete can make running track versus playing another sport with a lucrative professional league has widened exponentially since 1991, much less 1968. I would also argue that the Olympics are no longer viewed as the absolute apex of athletic achievement in American culture the way it used to be. If you were to ask me if I would rather have one an Olympic gold medal, a NCAA Championship or the Super Bowl or World Series I would answer an Olympic gold medal. But I would think most people below about age 40 wouldn't feel this way. I'm not even sure most people approaching 50, like I am, feel this way. But I do think the viewpoint that an Olympic gold medal is the ultimate athletic achievement has lessened over time.

Been about 14 hours since my 2nd shot, woke up feeling a little stuffy and achy but that's about it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Been about 14 hours since my 2nd shot, woke up feeling a little stuffy and achy but that's about it so far.
    Pushups. Both the exercise and the delicious orange sherbet.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Fun topic and a lot going on here. I would also suggest that the wide disparity between the amount of money a superlative athlete can make running track versus playing another sport with a lucrative professional league has widened exponentially since 1991, much less 1968. I would also argue that the Olympics are no longer viewed as the absolute apex of athletic achievement in American culture the way it used to be. If you were to ask me if I would rather have one an Olympic gold medal, a NCAA Championship or the Super Bowl or World Series I would answer an Olympic gold medal. But I would think most people below about age 40 wouldn't feel this way. I'm not even sure most people approaching 50, like I am, feel this way. But I do think the viewpoint that an Olympic gold medal is the ultimate athletic achievement has lessened over time.
    To add to this, I believe that the money opportunities have become very focused in track. People will pay to see a 100m race, the long jump happens in a pit in the middle of the track and so is hard to focus on. The 100m has seen a steady progression up until Usain Bolt's 9.58 in 2009.

To add to this, I believe that the money opportunities have become very focused in track. People will pay to see a 100m race, the long jump happens in a pit in the middle of the track and so is hard to focus on. The 100m has seen a steady progression up until Usain Bolt's 9.58 in 2009.
    Bolt was the platonic ideal of what a sprinter should be. I am an Olympic sport fanatic and I will sit and watch archery and curling (and anything else) during the Olympics for hours. I'm just an avowed Olympics fan. I am one of those people who keep track of the world record holder in track and swimming. I love that stuff. I remember watching Bolt run and thinking we might be done here. It's like he discovered a new world, which is unbelievably exciting, but once it's discovered the mystery is gone.

Pushups. Both the exercise and the delicious orange sherbet.
    Flinstone push ups. Yum.

i'd say you're in the clear...our unpleasant reaction came after about 14 hours, lasted another ten hours or so...nothing awful, just felt like lying down, no appetite...but we were so thrilled to be all jabbed up, it didn't matter to us.

Gravity has slowly been getting stronger, too. So harder to jump.

Gravity has slowly been getting stronger, too. So harder to jump.
    About that. At the age of 40 I could still grab the rim and I led my basketball league in scoring. That summer I tore the meniscus in my good knee (the bad one has an ACL tear I never had repaired and I have to lock that sucker down with a brace so my knee stays in socket), and had to take six months off of sports while it healed. I assumed I would come back at about the same level. This assumption was incorrect. I aged like a racehorse. Athletically I fell off a cliff and I realized it wasn't coming back. That was the point at which I went no carb and I dropped a bunch of weight. But the foot speed never returned and the jumping ability is ever declining.

But the foot speed never returned and the jumping ability is ever declining.
    Lower and slower is inevitable...

Lower and slower is inevitable...
    I'm fighting against it. I'm not going to win.

You will all be happy to know that we hired absolutely none of the people I wanted to hire in our 3 open spots. Oh, and my former colleagues are in full revolt over my job description. I thought this would go poorly and it has drastically exceeded my poor expectations. These guys always deliver!
    Back to this a moment. When it comes time to fire/discipline one of your former colleagues, who will be tasked with doing so? You or your boss?

I'm fighting against it. I'm not going to win.
    There are benefits to keeping up the fight...

Back to this a moment. When it comes time to fire/discipline one of your former colleagues, who will be tasked with doing so? You or your boss?
    My boss.

About that. At the age of 40 I could still grab the rim and I led my basketball league in scoring. That summer I tore the meniscus in my good knee (the bad one has an ACL tear I never had repaired and I have to lock that sucker down with a brace so my knee stays in socket), and had to take six months off of sports while it healed. I assumed I would come back at about the same level. This assumption was incorrect. I aged like a racehorse. Athletically I fell off a cliff and I realized it wasn't coming back. That was the point at which I went no carb and I dropped a bunch of weight. But the foot speed never returned and the jumping ability is ever declining.
    No, see that’s gravity increasing not you slowing. Hundreds of years from now humans will be no more than 3 feet tall and very dense.

No, see that’s gravity increasing not you slowing. Hundreds of years from now humans will be no more than 3 feet tall and very dense.
    Well this.post hits too close to home right now.

Well this.post hits too close to home right now.
    It just means your evolutionarily advanced. Tell your colleagues

It just means your evolutionarily advanced. Tell your colleagues
    We are fairly close to me actually telling them this. I am not a naturally restrained person. My boss thanked me for my patience yesterday.

We are fairly close to me actually telling them this. I am not a naturally restrained person. My boss thanked me for my patience yesterday.
    Challenge them to a long jump? Loser is eliminated.