Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

ESPN Bracket Challenge?

Last year we had a DBR group on ESPN's Bracket Challenge: https://fantasy.espn.com/tournament-...roupID=4170663

Password was simply "goduke"

Do people want to use this again for some bragging rights competition?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I went ahead and created a group

Group name: DBR 2023
    password: goduke

direct link

I filled in my bracket. It doesn’t look like we have as many brackets as usual, so I’m bumping this thread. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I filled in my bracket. It doesn’t look like we have as many brackets as usual, so I’m bumping this thread. Go Duke!
    I guess there are two ESPN DBR groups - DBR and DBR 2023?

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

9F
    Are there 2 bracket challenges? I thought the other one was the Degenerate Gamblers pool, which is something different, as I understand it. Maybe someone with more knowledge can straighten us out.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

9F
    Interesting... "DBR" was the original group, when I first got on it showed that the group was associated with last year so I created "DBR 2023" for this year. But now it looks like DBR has opened back up and people have started joining it. I'll see if there's a way for me to close it down and reach out to the participants and have them move to the new group. Thanks for alerting me to the issue and sorry for the confusion!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I just joined both to be safe, haha. We need to recruit a czar for this each year
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I just joined both to be safe, haha. We need to recruit a czar for this each year
    Jay Bilas?

/ducks

Probably the only time in history I’ve led a bracket pool, if only for a few hours.

got 14 of 16 right the first day…. Only missed the Maryland and Princeton wins.

Of course, today, that will likely change! Still the most fun weekend of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Probably the only time in history I’ve led a bracket pool, if only for a few hours.

got 14 of 16 right the first day…. Only missed the Maryland and Princeton wins.

Of course, today, that will likely change! Still the most fun weekend of the year.
    I tied you and am sure that it won't last. I missed the same two as you, but I had AZ in the Final Four and WVU in the Elite eight. South bracket is already a bust for me.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    I tied you and am sure that it won't last. I missed the same two as you, but I had AZ in the Final Four and WVU in the Elite eight. South bracket is already a bust for me.
    yes- I should have said tied for first! Nice!

My bracket is in big trouble also, because I also had Arizona in the final 4.

Today’s games will likely sink my bracket into the bottom half I’d guess.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    And I picked USC to beat Michigan St…
    but Michigan State is absolutely DESTROYING USC. I feel badly for USC in this game. They are so overmatched. And they have shut down Boogie Ellis so far…. Gonna be a long day for USC

Former President Obama Picks Duke over Houston in NC

Obama's bracket has Duke defeating Houston in the NC
    Biden has Arizona over Kansas (unlikely lol)

President Biden@POTUS

United States government official
    Good luck to every team in this year's NCAA tournament.

I’ve got Arizona in the men’s tournament and Villanova in the women’s – and as you know, in this household, Villanova always wins.

Biden Bracket 2023.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pomona; 03-17-2023 at 06:00 PM.

Lots of Groupthink

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Interesting... "DBR" was the original group, when I first got on it showed that the group was associated with last year so I created "DBR 2023" for this year. But now it looks like DBR has opened back up and people have started joining it. I'll see if there's a way for me to close it down and reach out to the participants and have them move to the new group. Thanks for alerting me to the issue and sorry for the confusion!
    I know most of us have ripped up our brackets, but I found this interesting:

I don't know about the DBR 2023 bracket group, but in the DBR bracket there are 25 entries. Of those 25, 17 picked Duke as their champion, 6 had Gonzaga, and 2 Texas. I was one of the Gonzaga picks, feeling like they were a good non-Duke option (I try not to jinx), have been playing well lately, are healthy, and would be lightly picked by others. I couldn't believe 24% of the brackets would have them, and 0 would have a 1-seed. And Texas was probably my second choice. So seems like many of us thought on similar grounds.

I had Duke. Arizona, Kansas, Texas.

Texas is in big trouble this weekend, based on my methodology.

Quote Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
    I know most of us have ripped up our brackets, but I found this interesting:

I don't know about the DBR 2023 bracket group, but in the DBR bracket there are 25 entries. Of those 25, 17 picked Duke as their champion, 6 had Gonzaga, and 2 Texas. I was one of the Gonzaga picks, feeling like they were a good non-Duke option (I try not to jinx), have been playing well lately, are healthy, and would be lightly picked by others. I couldn't believe 24% of the brackets would have them, and 0 would have a 1-seed. And Texas was probably my second choice. So seems like many of us thought on similar grounds.
    Being that this is a Duke site, it's no wonder there are a lot of Duke picks.

But I also picked Gonzaga. I picked Duke for the FF (I thought the East was weak, and I was apparently right, just wished Duke would have survived the carnage), but had them losing to Bama. As long as Miller is playing, Bama seems hard to bet against. I think he's this year's Melo. On the other side of the bracket, I was feeling UCLA all season until Clark went down. I didn't think KU could repeat, since repeating is so rarely done. And Gonzaga has been flying under the radar all season. So I picked them coming out of the West. I have Texas beating Houston, just a gut feel based on the Cougars' quality of competition, and there were previous questions about Sasser's injury. Then I picked coaching in that semi, and Few wins. One of these days, Gonzaga is going to win it all. Couple that it's rare that a first time FF team wins it all. Few>Oates, too. So I picked the Zags.

But I could see someone like K-State win this year and bust everybody's bracket. Or Bama simply just steamrolling. It's all a crap shoot.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

I am sorry I did not enter a bracket ...

Since my Princeton in the Sweet 16 pick was quite helpful!

Sincerely,

Orange&BlackSheep

I have a dilemma - I think I "win" DBR 2023 if UConn wins tonight. I think I want to stay in 2nd and have Miami win.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I have a dilemma - I think I "win" DBR 2023 if UConn wins tonight. I think I want to stay in 2nd and have Miami win.
    That only increases my level of respect for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    That only increases my level of respect for you.
    You must be drinking or smoking something again.