Page 2511 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 15112011241124612501250925102511251225132521256126113011 ... LastLast
Results 50,201 to 50,220 of 67406
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    While living in Seoul, we somehow became acquainted with the officers stationed in the Joint Securry Area (PanMunJom) of the DMZ. My mom would often arrange for visitors to get a tour of the JSA. One of the times, she asked the officer if she should stay back at The Monastery (the officer's club) since she had been up there a lot. He assured her that the North Koreans already had a file on her, so there was no reason to stay back. I went up there quite a few times also, so I figured they probably had one on me as well.

The stories they shared about the North Koreans trying to top the UN side were pretty funny. At the time, the one thing they couldn't do was have tall soldiers. The US Army required that the personnel stationed in the JSA be over 6 feet tall. The first officer I met was 6' 11".
    Very cool! Great story!

I know it will be a big seller, but I'm not interested in reading the new book about Coach K. I don't know him but I was around him a lot in the decade of the 80s in pretty intimate settings. I was 9 years old or so when I met him the first time in my living room. That would have been 1982. He and my dad hit it off really well while he was recruiting a player that played for us. I remember that kid being very impressed by his intensity. He was a top 25 player and was recruited by everyone. He probably would have gone to UNC but they backed off him in favor of a kid named Curtis Hunter, who was supposed to be the next Michael Jordan. Coach K knew about that and used it to his advantage. K and my dad got to be pretty good buddies. Like would exchange phone calls during the season and dad got to be an instructor at the basketball camp and I got to go with him. And so I got to see K around a bunch of relatively famous High School coaches every night when they would play cards. This was before Duke was Duke and it was intimate. I was in the room as a 10 to 13 year old and it was comically profane. No punches were pulled in my presence. My role was to sit in the corner and watch television and go get the guys beer. I still have that skill set. But I feel like I got to know the man before he became what it is today. He is much more guarded because he has to be, but I don't think he's changed much. It's one of the things I admire most about him. I still see that burning intensity, the underlying humor, how much the man gives a damn. It was great to watch and I have no interest in reading that book.

While living in Seoul, we somehow became acquainted with the officers stationed in the Joint Securry Area (PanMunJom) of the DMZ. My mom would often arrange for visitors to get a tour of the JSA. One of the times, she asked the officer if she should stay back at The Monastery (the officer's club) since she had been up there a lot. He assured her that the North Koreans already had a file on her, so there was no reason to stay back. I went up there quite a few times also, so I figured they probably had one on me as well.

The stories they shared about the North Koreans trying to top the UN side were pretty funny. At the time, the one thing they couldn't do was have tall soldiers. The US Army required that the personnel stationed in the JSA be over 6 feet tall. The first officer I met was 6' 11".
    Hah! Sounds like Marshall Plumlee was stationed there!

So it didn't involve your mother tunneling people out to freedom?

Oh, well. It IS a cool story, anyway. Wonder what works of fiction they came up with to put in her folder?

Green also, but I already have two green cars...one white car, and one red 🚘. I really need some blue.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Green also, but I already have two green cars...one white car, and one red 🚘. I really need some blue.
    How often do you drive each of them?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Green is my favorite color, but I do like that wine-colored one! If only it had the white roof.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Ah, I thought I remembered you had a story! I did not recall that it involved KG-B-VDs!
    I don't know if they fondled my underwear, but the airline did lose my luggage for three days. Anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    So it didn't involve your mother tunneling people out to freedom?

Oh, well. It IS a cool story, anyway. Wonder what works of fiction they came up with to put in her folder?
    No tunneling from the south. A tunnel from the north capable of moving large numbers of troops in an hour was found. Unfortunately, the North blew it up. We knew the officer killed. The wiki page includes the Major Henderson incident. He was eating ice cream on our sofa a week or two before that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I know it will be a big seller, but I'm not interested in reading the new book about Coach K. I don't know him but I was around him a lot in the decade of the 80s in pretty intimate settings. I was 9 years old or so when I met him the first time in my living room. That would have been 1982. He and my dad hit it off really well while he was recruiting a player that played for us. I remember that kid being very impressed by his intensity. He was a top 25 player and was recruited by everyone. He probably would have gone to UNC but they backed off him in favor of a kid named Curtis Hunter, who was supposed to be the next Michael Jordan. Coach K knew about that and used it to his advantage. K and my dad got to be pretty good buddies. Like would exchange phone calls during the season and dad got to be an instructor at the basketball camp and I got to go with him. And so I got to see K around a bunch of relatively famous High School coaches every night when they would play cards. This was before Duke was Duke and it was intimate. I was in the room as a 10 to 13 year old and it was comically profane. No punches were pulled in my presence. My role was to sit in the corner and watch television and go get the guys beer. I still have that skill set. But I feel like I got to know the man before he became what it is today. He is much more guarded because he has to be, but I don't think he's changed much. It's one of the things I admire most about him. I still see that burning intensity, the underlying humor, how much the man gives a damn. It was great to watch and I have no interest in reading that book.
    Wow. Love this story. I'll admit, I'm jealous.

Also, I'm having poker night in a couple of weeks. Are you available to fetch brews while watching TV? What's your going rate?

How often do you drive each of them?
    The same amount as I use my NFTs…

marvelous. FWIW most of the excerpts I see coming from that book are quite complimentary to K, not that I plan on buying it...

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    Wow. Love this story. I'll admit, I'm jealous.

Also, I'm having poker night in a couple of weeks. Are you available to fetch brews while watching TV? What's your going rate?
    Beer.

I’m going with Indian for take out tonight.

I’m going with Indian for take out tonight.
    What is your go to? I love Indian with a large group so we can try lots of different things.

I miss dining with large groups of people. Did it once last summer during the Covid hiatus around here, haven't done it since. Want it very very badly.

What is your go to? I love Indian with a large group so we can try lots of different things.
    This is why a good Indian buffet is a real treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This is why a good Indian buffet is a real treasure.
    Homer gurgling sound

Oh we do it all. Mix it up.

Oh we do it all. Mix it up.
    Pound for pound Indian may be my favorite.