Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duke 75, Ga Tech 68 Post Game Thread

Getting better every game. Nice finish!

-jk

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Over the hump.

Now let’s go build on it.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Sweet!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Steward and Goldwire carried the team in the first 25 minutes or so. Johnson and Hurt got it done for us down the stretch. Great toughness shown to take Tech's punch and come back down the stretch. Very important win. Something that hopefully builds these guys' confidence.

Thrilled with the performance from Steward. He kind of wilted under the Alvarado bravado in the second half, but he had a terrific game. Goldwire had probably his best game of the season. That duo combined for 30 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds, 3 steals... and 1 turnover.

Great finish from Johnson and Hurt. They played like 1st Team All-ACC guys when we needed it down the stretch.

They grew up a bit more today...love to see it.

Thought the M2M defense was very solid for the most part.

And they hit my favorite classic Duke stat....we made more FTs than they attempted!

Anyone see coach’s fist pump while walking off the floor? Man he wanted this one

Exhale

And smile. Fist pump!
    Windy City Devil

Last four minutes showed what this team can be when Johnson and Hurt are clicking together.

We won!!!!!!!!!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Post-game thread went up much earlier after a win! Wasn't always pretty and we made our share of mistakes but we got the W that we desperately needed. Williams had some really good minutes and hopefully can work his way into more PT as the bigger lineup has fewer holes. He's really disruptive in the middle with his length. Hurt was relatively quiet but draws a lot of defensive attention and still put up 18 and 8. Johnson really took over in closing time, we've got to figure out a way to keep him out of early foul trouble because once he gets going he's unstoppable. Steward was our other big scorer and Goldwire hit some key buckets in the first half when we were kind of stagnant.

Altogether a satisfying win that gives us something to build on.

Happy for the team. You first have to learn how to win. Johnson with winning plays down the stretch. A lot better passing this game . Alvarado is a handful. Just an energizer bunny and must be a pain to play against with all the yapping. Still- this is a good win for the young guys.

Nice spark from Williams to open the game. . .

. . .and make sure we weren't in a hole out of the gate. Not huge on the stat sheet, but played an important role, nonetheless. And JJ was pivotal. If he can avoid early fouls and be consistent, watch out.

We started the game well, finished the 1st half well, started the 2nd kinda meh, then let GT make it tense, but played with poise down the stretch. I think we witnessed this team grow up a little bit.
    JGold needs to start. I don't care what Roach's ceiling is, JGold does a better job at making this team better.
    I was pleased to see JJ finish so strong. Also good to see he and Hurt have good games at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Anyone see coach’s fist pump while walking off the floor? Man he wanted this one

Yes! That was really something. He was so into that win. He's still got the passion.

Great win.
    Great to see the foul shots go in.
    I thought the defense was really good all around.

Duke's just playing rope-a-dope with the field!

Hot takes on the game:
    1. Can we stop hitting on D.J.? Kid can play!
    2. Jalen Johnson is instant offense -- need to figure out what gets him started.
    3. Wise move for K -- copying ACC Director of Officials on his message to team about getting to foul line.
    4. We were bigger and stronger than GT -- made a difference at the end of each half.
    5. Jose Alvarado -- dayum!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Big sigh of relief...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I'll take it. Glad we made our FTs. Outside of that and rebounding, we did not do much well. One other really positive thing - JJ and Hurt played well in the same game, with a solid performance from DJ. If we can get Jalen and Matthew to play well at the same time and supplement that with one other strong scoring performance (Wendell, DJ, Roach), then we have a chance in every game.

Let's build on this!

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    I'll take it. Glad we made our FTs. Outside of that and rebounding, we did not do much well. One other really positive thing - JJ and Hurt played well in the same game, with a solid performance from DJ. If we can get Jalen and Matthew to play well at the same time and supplement that with one other strong scoring performance (Wendell, DJ, Roach), then we have a chance in every game.

Let's build on this!
    Slight disagreement. We also defended pretty well and shot 2s really well. And forced Tech (who doesn't turn the ball over) to commit 11 turnovers.

Coach is all about his team’s “faces” and the last few minutes were the strongest faces I’ve seen from this team all year. And then the relief on their faces after locking down the W... so good!

Here’s hoping they can build on it!