Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    a good win for the soul of the program in general...duke players hugging each other. most teams chest bump and high five for a win...

this was a good win ....congrats to the team, staff AND fans ...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Just look about 230 miles south give or take.dukes requirements are stiffer than u of south carolina.
    That is a dumpster fire.
    No reason they should not be a top 20 team every year.what duke does in football looks a heck of a lot better than what they do.duke never wastes talent that i can see. Think about the situation they have had last few years.they have used a qb whos father is on the staff .he was also on Auburn's staff his other son was qb.left more talented products on the bench.while floundering.
    I do not see cut doing that ever.Duke really has a soecial coach.Duke is 10 better players from being a dang good top 20 team.maybe top 10 .i say 10 due to injuries ect.some areas other teams are next man up.i dont see that depth usually on dukes roster.only at spots . id be proud if one of my kids was on the roster.besides the record .you cant really say anything bad about the program.thats not a bad place to be.
    There’s a high paying job for you in Cola if you can easy peasy make the Gamecocks a perennial top 20 program. Except for the Spurrier years it hasn’t happened. Bentley would be the Cocks all time leading passer if he had not been hurt in game one this year. He clearly didn’t progress in his decision making but it’s not clear to me that he played ahead of anyone more skilled or talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    A very satisfying summary.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    for me the cuse and wake games. the game situation mightn't've been winnable, but with the right game plan and in-game management, i have no doubt we had the ability to win those games. hopefully we'll see more of today next season, and less of...those other games.
    Have to respectfully disagree - the Pitt game came down to one untimely blitz with about 30 seconds to go and the unc game came down to the infamous jump pass at the end. That's two plays that cost us a bowl game, two plays. It hurts to even think about it, but I guess that's football.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I was only partially listening to the game but I heard the announcers say something about Diaz needing to clean up a lot of behind the scenes issues. It wasn’t clear whether he was saying they were holdovers from the prior staff or whether he was blaming Diaz (or both).
    When I hear of "behind the scene issues" at the U, why do I think of "sex, drugs and rock-and-roll?"
    Last edited by -jk; 12-01-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    When I hear of "behind the scene issues" at the U, why do I think of "sex, drugs and rock-and-roll?"
    Or, "Lawyers, Guns and Money."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Happy with the win, just hope next season brings a good qb and a revitalized offense along with him.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    There’s a high paying job for you in Cola if you can easy peasy make the Gamecocks a perennial top 20 program. Except for the Spurrier years it hasn’t happened. Bentley would be the Cocks all time leading passer if he had not been hurt in game one this year. He clearly didn’t progress in his decision making but it’s not clear to me that he played ahead of anyone more skilled or talented.
    My Dad had a number of big Gamecock fans as clients in Charleston, and he tried to wait until they won a game before making calls -- it was often a struggle.

The Cocks had some success with Spurrier -- three top-ten, bowl-winning 11-2 seasons in the early part of this decade, but even Lou Holtz, his predecessor, had a losing record.* Otherwise, the success in 70 years in the Southern Conference, the ACC and the SEC is limited to one ACC championship in 1969 under Paul Dietzel (who also had a losing record in Columbia) and an SEC East championship under Spurrier in 2010.

Kindly,
    Sage
    *Holtz was 0-11 in his first year at South Carolina; afterwards, he was 33-26.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    Have to respectfully disagree - the Pitt game came down to one untimely blitz with about 30 seconds to go and the unc game came down to the infamous jump pass at the end. That's two plays that cost us a bowl game, two plays. It hurts to even think about it, but I guess that's football.
    i'm less concerned about the bowl game than the team consistently failing to play to its potential every week the past several years.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    how many spots did we miss out by? 1? 2?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E...eligible_teams

There's one "extra" team so one team will be left out after the music stops next Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E...eligible_teams

There's one "extra" team so one team will be left out after the music stops next Sunday.
    Ole Miss, Pittsburgh and Maryland did Duke no favors.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i'm less concerned about the bowl game than the team consistently failing to play to its potential every week the past several years.
    I am having trouble sussing the intent behind this rather confusing statement. I will just say that NO college team in the country plays to its potential every week in any given year. Even Clemson has at least one sleep-walking game in a year.

The problem with Duke the past 2-3 years is that it has several times displayed a miniscule fraction of its potential. And yet, last year it went to a bowl, and this year (when the offense completely disappeared for over half the season) it fell one game short. A disappointing year, to be sure … but not one that merits the volume of hand-wringing I'm seeing here.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I am having trouble sussing the intent behind this rather confusing statement.
    not everything said has to have some nefarious intent.

I will just say that NO college team in the country plays to its potential every week in any given year. Even Clemson has at least one sleep-walking game in a year.

The problem with Duke the past 2-3 years is that it has several times displayed a miniscule fraction of its potential.
    i mean, that's what i said...though you perhaps more clearly...
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I am having trouble sussing the intent behind this rather confusing statement. I will just say that NO college team in the country plays to its potential every week in any given year. Even Clemson has at least one sleep-walking game in a year.

The problem with Duke the past 2-3 years is that it has several times displayed a miniscule fraction of its potential. And yet, last year it went to a bowl, and this year (when the offense completely disappeared for over half the season) it fell one game short. A disappointing year, to be sure … but not one that merits the volume of hand-wringing I'm seeing here.
    I have to agree with you. Reading many of the comments on this thread reminds me of that famous line from the classic movie, Gladiator, when Maximus chides the crowd by asking, "Are you not entertained?"

It was 54 years between bowl victories. And now missing a bowl game is a "disappointing season."

If anyone wants to understand what Coach Cut has meant to Duke football, that says all of it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It was 54 years between bowl victories. And now missing a bowl game is a "disappointing season."

If anyone wants to understand what Coach Cut has meant to Duke football, that says all of it to me.
    I am a HUGE David Cutcliffe fan. However, comparing bowl achievement decades ago to today’s environment is “apples and oranges”.

Quote Originally Posted by jb75 View Post
    I am a HUGE David Cutcliffe fan. However, comparing bowl achievement decades ago to today’s environment is “apples and oranges”.
    In the decades before Cut got here, we failed to exceed four wins in seventeen of eighteen seasons. While bowls are easier to qualify for now than before, it’s not a bad loose comparison.

It is not inappropriate IMHO to note that the last Duke bowl win before Cutcliffe was during JFK’s Administration. No matter the fruit being compared.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

C'mon, awful invalid analogy and you know it. That's like saying Coach K is only half the coach Wooden was, cuz Wooden won 10. That was the Jurassic era.

In FB, used to take 7-3 minimum to go bowling...then 7-4 when the 11th game was added. Wasn't too long ago that 6-6 was considered mediocre, not "bowl eligible." I think at one time only 10% of what was called "Division One" went to a bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    C'mon, awful invalid analogy and you know it. That's like saying Coach K is only half the coach Wooden was, cuz Wooden won 10. That was the Jurassic era.

In FB, used to take 7-3 minimum to go bowling...then 7-4 when the 11th game was added. Wasn't too long ago that 6-6 was considered mediocre, not "bowl eligible." I think at one time only 10% of what was called "Division One" went to a bowl.
    But we didn’t win 7 games. Or 6. Or 5 . . . .

And, the two bowls we made (Spurrier in 1989 and Goldsmith in 1995) we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

Using today's standards Duke qualified for a bowl game in 1961, 1962, 1965, 1970, 1971, 1974, 1981, 1982 and 1988.

And Wallace Wade used to go 9-1 and stay home.