Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    There are bullies and very adult dynamics and situations in Elf, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, etc. Guns in most of those, too.
    And I don't mean to speak out of turn as a Jew in a Christmas discussion, but I'm fairly sure that John McClane's experience in Die Hard is not your traditional Christmas. And I believe all rational voices agree that Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Though I love A Christmas Story, I fully respect people's right to not like it. But it is definitely about Christmas. Just not necessarily how everyone wants to celebrate it. Though I think that, as others have noted, it has a lot of nuggets of how people actually do celebrate it.

There are bullies and very adult dynamics and situations in Elf, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, etc. Guns in most of those, too.
    Maybe it's the Major Award that creeps some out like it did Ralphie's mom. Or perhaps it's cursing with fudge??

Personally I'm a fan of the movie. I went to elementary school in a building much like the one in the movie. I don't watch it much any more though. 70 or 80 times was sufficient.

Note: The Major Award has often been a part of the background on PTI.
    . . . pti-major-award.jpg.

Yeah but Will Ferrel destroys the bullies the first chance he gets with a trillion snowballs

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Others have mentioned It's a Wonderful Life. That one checks off a few of your boxes there too. Bullies, run down town, feelings of disappointment, plus it tosses in suicide. Yet because it is set at Christmas time, it's a Christmas movie.
    Exactly what I was thinking!!! One of the most depressing movies ever!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Yeah but Will Ferrel destroys the bullies the first chance he gets with a trillion snowballs
    Ralph destroys his bully, too.

And the lamp isn’t nearly as lech as Clark’s, “You can’t see the lines…” bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't see how folks are saying that ACS doesn't feel Christmassy.

It's setting is the weeks leading up to Christmas, has Santa and elves, lots of lights, snow, and is constantly talking about the one present that the kid is dying to wake up to ON CHRISTMAS MORNING. The whole movie is entirely centered around December 25th and the impending disappointment.

I'd love to hear more of an explanation about what's missing from the Christmas based movie that even has the word Christmas in its title.
    Like Wilson, when I say ACS isn't very "Christmassy" to me it's not about the snow, Santa, a Christmas tree, etc. It's about whether or not the film evokes Christmassy feelings in me. Does it leave me feeling joyous and blessed? Does it communicate something truly heartwarming to me? As the movie industry has progressed over the decades I've had a distinct distaste for the crudeness, mayhem, and cynicism that can often creep into holiday fare. And I don't care for it in my Yuletide film viewing. Other film genres? Fine. But not in my Christmas viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking!!! One of the most depressing movies ever!
    I'm not here to defend the film, but how the heck can you say that? Have you never watched till the end? Geez. It's one of the most uplifting and encouraging films of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I'm not here to defend the film, but how the heck can you say that? Have you never watched till the end? Geez. It's one of the most uplifting and encouraging films of all time!
    I dunno — d’ya think Clarence really deserved his wings?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I dunno — d’ya think Clarence really deserved his wings?
    Well... Now that you mention it...

In all seriousness, I watch the film every year on/about Christmas Eve and certain spots get me teary-eyed every single time. Darn that Zuzu!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    ...Though I love A Christmas Story, I fully respect people's right to not like it. But it is definitely about Christmas. Just not necessarily how everyone wants to celebrate it. Though I think that, as others have noted, it has a lot of nuggets of how people actually do celebrate it.
    To clarify: I never offered up the opinion that it's somehow not a Christmas movie. I just really, really don't like it.

I’ve actually never watched CS so I’m the perfect neutral observer. I’ll watch it this Xmas and come back and tell you which of your opinions are correct. YW.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    To clarify: I never offered up the opinion that it's somehow not a Christmas movie. I just really, really don't like it.
    I'm not saying it's not a Christmas movie either. I'm saying it's not Christmassy to me, for the reasons I outlined. And I also really, really don't like it either.

I was referring to CBandB's mentioning of the thoughts of suicide, all the depressing things happening, etc. Yes it's feel-good at the end, but geez! you have to get through a lot to feel good again! Yes, I have watched it all the way through, quite a few times. But, it's not one I care to watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Everyone's entitled to their opinions, even the bad ones! It's Top 20 on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB ratings of all-time Christmas movies so lots of folks think it has something going for it.

I, on the other hand, have not seen It's a Wonderful Life all the way through and likely never will. I'm not sure I've made it all the way through a movie other than Citizen Kane that was produced before the 60s --- can't stand most of them (even the classics). Just find them irritating and fake. Ugh, Zuzu.

I, on the other hand, have not seen It's a Wonderful Life all the way through and likely never will. I'm not sure I've made it all the way through a movie other than Citizen Kane that was produced before the 60s --- can't stand most of them (even the classics). Just find them irritating and fake. Ugh, Zuzu.
    You Millennial, you!

FWIW, I think the majority of my favorite films are pre-1960.

I'm not sure I've made it all the way through a movie other than Citizen Kane that was produced before the 60s --- can't stand most of them (even the classics). Just find them irritating and fake.
    They are probably less fake than you think. There were a lot of people actually like that in the '40s and '50s. There were a lot of people NOT like that, too, but they didn't make it into the film. But you probably underestimate how segregated and classist our society was at that time. The "wrong side of the tracks" was a thing, and was a place that people who made and watched movies didn't go to and didn't depict. And yeah, I can see how that would be irritating.

Not that I'm selling them to you. If you don't like them, that's fine by me. It is a genre I will continue to appreciate, however, right along with A Christmas Story.

You Millennial, you!

FWIW, I think the majority of my favorite films are pre-1960.
    Probably. I like lots of other early/mid-20th century Americana…music, books and such. Not films.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I was referring to CBandB's mentioning of the thoughts of suicide, all the depressing things happening, etc. Yes it's feel-good at the end, but geez! you have to get through a lot to feel good again! Yes, I have watched it all the way through, quite a few times. But, it's not one I care to watch again.
    That's me as well. Even my younger self was bummed out by the overall tone when it was on one of the three channels. Yes, the ending is lovely, but getting there...whoo boy. About as glum as glum can be.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    They are probably less fake than you think. There were a lot of people actually like that in the '40s and '50s. There were a lot of people NOT like that, too, but they didn't make it into the film. But you probably underestimate how segregated and classist our society was at that time. The "wrong side of the tracks" was a thing, and was a place that people who made and watched movies didn't go to and didn't depict. And yeah, I can see how that would be irritating.

Not that I'm selling them to you. If you don't like them, that's fine by me. It is a genre I will continue to appreciate, however, right along with A Christmas Story.
    I don't think that's it. Acting styles/audience preferences and cinematography has changed a lot​ during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

I think I just don’t like them - I recognize their importance in context, particularly the ones that helped move the social needle forward. I’m definitely aware of the segregation. My parents were in school during the integration years and grew up in an Indiana town with de facto sunset laws. I also have a multiracial family and unfortunately one of my cousins got to experience what it was like growing up in an all-white Indiana town in the 1970s and all the that went with it. For all the halcyon portrayals, those years are filled with lots of ugly beliefs.

BUT, I can also enjoy a movie like A Christmas Story, which I think does a wonderful job of telling a universal story of what it’s like being a kid using a specific time and place that may just be more meaningful for some. That’s the only work it’s trying to do.